Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up ARS w/ Randy Harris, Bellevue, MI 4/2-4/3

Let me preface this by saying how disappointed I am with my WT brethen who live within driving distance and failed to show up for this awesome class. Without full rosters, it is hard to convince top tier instructors to venture to the midwest so that we can all benefit from thier training. You all missed out!

What a weekend! Tasked with putting this experience into words is tough, here goes,

Day one began with lecture and dry work. Being an advanced class, all the students knew how to dance with the girl they brought. There was a myriad of gear for the class size, battle belts, chest rigs, and sneaky bags (me) were all present. Decent split between AKs and ARs, with a scar 308 thrown in as well. As they day wore on, the benefits and drawbacks of each were all readily apparent. As in all things, everything is a trade-off.
    When I say dry work, i mean blissful, tortuous repetition of basic and advanced skill sets for carry positions, reloads, and shooting stances over and over again, in the same thought of paying a personal trainer to command you to do things you just don't do enough of on your own. Running at full speed from berm to berm, doing reloads over and over again while trying to retain your mags in the dump pouch that is jovially bouncing off your hip was a good reminder of my personal need for more cardio!
    After a quick confirmation of zero and minor adjustments (shameless pat on the back for coming prepared!) we quickly moved on to live fire drills. Exploding off the X in all directions, we drilled relentlessly, exploring the uncomfortable. Being ambidextrous with the rifle is an absolute necessity. This point was drilled home by countless 9 o'clock runs for the righties, and 3s for the leftys. The dreaded 5s and 7s were drilled, again the stuff we dont like to practice. Everyone agreed to work an hour and a half late, we maintained good momentum right up to when we broke for the day. We enjoyed a decent meal and fellowship, and i literally collapsed into bed when I finally made it the room. Sunburnt, sore, and head swimming trying to process all the info i soaked up. (Dry sponge, meet water)

Day 2

We began the day with in your face, balls out rifle fighting. Think impact weapon. Randy briefly discussed filipino knife work. It was a great way to marry existing knife skill sets with the rifle. We learned what distances using the rifle as an impact weapon were best for fighting off gun grabs and which were best for transition to pistols. Imagine being target focused and engaging hostiles when SURPRISE! you have the tangos bro ambushing you with a nok trainer to your bread basket. Does anyone else hear the "FIGHT" command in thier sleep too?
    More exhaustive live fire. We worked rifle to pistol transistions. Left side, right side, doesnt matter, deal with the threat. At close distance, feed 'em the muzzle if you get a click instead of a bang. More X explosions, this time set up so your file runs dry and you have to transfer to pistol on the move. Again, the theme of integrating skill sets. On to team tactics. We worked the aussie peel, patroling in wedge formation to peel, and my fav, the columbian specail forces drill. Super top secret squirrel stuff, you have to come to class to learn. We worked late again, finishing with a battlefield pick up drill. You had to run to five differnt shooting stations where five differnt styles of rifles were waiting in various stages of disarray, the condtion of the weapon unbeknownst to the shooter. Randy was devious in his variation of the different condtions you might find the weapon in, empty mag?, double feed? Empty mag and ammo scattered about (my fav, you sir are an evil genius. ) a great way to end the class, we all got to play with each other's gear.
    This was a great group of students. Ego is the biggest hindrance to effective training. You have to be a good training partner, and this was a great bunch of squared-away fellas that were eager to help each other. Randy Harris met my usual high standard of what Ive come to expect from SI instructors. I left feeling the holes i need to fill in my skill sets, and vindicated on the stuff i am good at, what more could you want?

Specail thanks to Randy for making the trip and his great presentation of the material, Bill Lindsey and Mike Swisher for hosting us, Ryan for graciously being Randy's "hey boy", patrick and ted for enduring my relentess ar-centric cheap shots, and everyone else for putting up with me. I apologize for any spelling gaffs or if i got anyones name wrong (im horrible with names) and for being an ass in general. I will post some pics as soon as Randy or Mike emails em to me. Great class guys!
    Last edited by irishmike; 06-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

This was my third Advanced rifle class. This time I got a little different perspective on it, as I watched more how Randy taught it, and then helped out as best I could instead of complete participation. This worked out very well for me, as I still learned more. I was also reminded of a few things that I had been neglecting, such as the 360 degree ground work.

Thanks to Randy for coming up and teaching a great class, and thanks to the students for being a safe, hard training group. There were some very familiar faces, and some new ones. Patrick, I hope what you learned serves you well. There usually isn't a bad weekend for training and this one was no different. A little windy, but it was at our backs. Mike, you are not an ass, you are our entertainment. Looking for ward to seeing everyone again, and looking forward to seeing Randy again at 0-5 ft in Louisville.

Default Spot on!

Spot on assessment Mike! Randy's method of instruction is second to none. The guys were fantastic training partners and just fun in general. What a great weekend!

Hope to train with you all again soon.

Cheers,
    Andy

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed going to Michigan and teaching this class. It was a good weekend weather wise and student wise and I am looking forward to getting back up there some time to train with you guys again.

As Irish Mike mentioned, we took a long hard look at integrating skills. So you have a rifle. Big deal. All that means is you HAVE a rifle.

That does not mean someone will be too afraid of it to try to hit you , stab you, or take it away from you.

It also does not mean that your rifle will NEVER malfunction while someone is trying to shoot you, hit you, stab you, or take it away from you.

Being able to seemlessly transition from one skill set to the next is crucial when life is at stake.

One of the guys in class is a National Park Service officer. Patrolling alone in the parks he might run upon something (and someone ) that he may have to deal with..... especially multiple assailants. It would really suck to be holding suspect #1 at gunpoint when #2 (and #3?) try to disarm you. Here shooting may not be solution # 1 (or depending on the situation and proximity of the bad guys may not even be possible. That is why we spend time learning to use the rifle as an impact weapon. These are things that you don't even think about in "normal" rifle classes but they are worst case "sucks to be you" kind of things that really need to be experienced in a training environment before they happen for real.

The "battlefield pickup drill" at the end was actually the result of my recent trip to the Dominican Republic. If you go out of the country, especially to the Carribean and Central America, the odds are overwhelming that if you end up using a rifle (or pistol) that it probably won't be yours and damn sure won't be a shiny new M4 with all the bells and whistles. What will it likely be? An old beat up FAL or a G3 or a Galil (AK pattern) is what is most likely . Having spent the better part of the last 25 years learning how to run just about every infantry weapon in existence I felt pretty good about being able to run any kind of foreign rifles I might run into while down there....but what about my fellow WT brethren back home?

So I grabbed some stuff out of my safe and set up a multi gun battlefield pickup drill where you pick go pick it up and make it work. It might be malfunctioned, it might be empty , the safety might be on, or it might be ready to go. You go to each position and whatever is there you fix it and use it. We had an AK103 (Hugo Chavez's favorite) an FAL (found all over Central and South America) a G3 (license built in Mexico and found ALL over Central and South America), and a bare bones AR 15. A SCAR 17 was thrown in (because who knows..it MIGHT happen) and the students got a chance to dance with someone other than "the ones they brung".....Everyone seemed to really appreciate this chance to expand their "tactical rolodex" and get some experience running guns they might have to pick up and use some day.

Again I REALLY enjoyed the class . By the end of the 2 days the students were sun burnt , sore, and sweatty, but they were also possessing skills they did not have before and had a new appreciation for the rifle...both as a projectile weapon and impact weapon.

Thanks to all who attended! And to those who did not......you missed a hell of a class. Pics to follow.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Welcome to WT, Andy. Here are some pics from class:

PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Default more pics

More pics, fighting off disarms

PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Fencing anyone?

PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Default more pics

Spetsnaz prone

Yes, yes, in the face!
    PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5

Well, I'm sorry I missed it for sure. However, I need the basics first, and something other than a shotgun.
    ​-Eric
    CPM, CRG, 0-5 PG
    Never, ever, give up.

You should contact Mike Swisher and/or Bill Lindsey. Both teach basic handgun courses. Once in you'd get to come to our SI alumni training days we are planning. Great training opportunties abound in your AO, wouldnt be terribly hard to bring you up to speed quickly.
    PSP
    FRS
    FOF
    CRG
    ARG
    0-5