Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    See Chris Upchurch's answer earlier in the thread..........
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

It seems that every few years we discuss the same things. The same issues are brought up...the same IPSC focused shooters are discussed and we end up with the same sides...like the AK versus AR issue.

Guys....do what you like...I don't care. But I will tell you why I do things the way I do (which BTW is well documented in my DVDs).

I want my skillsets to work when I am just about to pass out from lack of oxygen....when I can't make a crucial diagnostic evaluation to save my life...when I am so gassed out, smoked, and beat up that I could not even tell you my name...when my hands are shaking and I am about to crap myself from fear, exhaustion, effort, or a combination of all of the above.

I want robustness
    I want stress-proofness
    I want commonality across weapon systems as much as possible
    I want few choices and a high probablity of success

I want minimal (did I say MINIMAL) techniques that I can ingrain deeply (did I say DEEPLY) through countless repetitions so that I can execute them without thought in the situations I described above....because I have experienced those times and know that I want to be able to function and succeed where others fail.

That is why one of my drills, for example, involves a max out kettlebell snatch session followed by a pistol shooting session. Another involves all out sprints then accuracy drills. Vomiting on MY shooting range is commonplace. The guys at the AK class last year got a small taste of what we do, and the levels we play at in the AK FOF session. Its hard, its rough, and physically demanding - and THERE is where I want my minimal, deeply ingrained, high probabilty of success methods to thrive.

Bash out 100 high speed all out burpees and then tell me how your "super cool guy" gun tricks work out as you think of nothing else but how to get air in your lungs...like you would feel if you just got shot in the f*cking chest, or got punched in the gut, or had to fight for your life with a younger more fit opponent until you managed to stab him in the balls with your knife. Or better yet...tell me how your favorite overweight gun guru fares at such a drill.

You can ask him after the heart surgeon finishes with his bypass.

This is not a f*cking gun game for me guys..it is life and death.

That is why I don't give a flying homosexual dog fornication what Vickers does, nor what the IPSC guys do, nor Gunsite, nor any other "gun school", nor any one else in the so-called gun world does. My requirements are higher than theirs apparently. I do what I do for the reasons I have defined above and see no reason to change them to be stylish.

You dear student...have the freedom however...to do as you please. May I humbly suggest to choose and train wisely.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I'm wondering how the guys who shoot 1000's of reps with their custom IDPA 1911's, then stick a Keltec .32 in their pocket for their carry gun, would handle this

Quote Originally Posted by smince View Post
    I'm wondering how the guys who shoot 1000's of reps with their custom IDPA 1911's, then stick a Keltec .32 in their pocket for their carry gun, would handle this

As my Latin teacher used to say: "There is the right way, the wrong way, and the doomed way."

If more people spent the same amount of time practicing the already proven instead of discussing it, again, we would not have to spend so much time discussing it...again.
    Dave Sauer
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

"The path which leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant." --Musashi

Onward & Upward!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez View Post
    You dear student...have the freedom however...to do as you please. May I humbly suggest to choose and train wisely.
    Thank you, Gabe. Although I "snipped" most of your post, there is a lot of wisdom in it. I earned my Black Belt from Joe Lewis and know what it is like to train until you puke and *then* are expected to operate at efficiency. I stand by my earlier remarks: It is all about muscle memory and training. You will default to whatever level you have trained at
    NREMT-B, ITLS

"Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle" -Psalm 144:1

I use the 'overhand' method exclusively, and have done so for many years, and I've found that it works with ANY semi-auto pistol that I pick up.
    "Practice under circumstances which approximate as nearly as possible to actual fighting conditions." Sykes & Fairbairn in 'Shooting to Live' - 1942.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Upchurch View Post
    The gun you use in your next gunfight may not be yours, jerking the slide to the rear is more universal than the slide stop lever which varies in shape and position (for a real laugh, hand a 1911 shooter who's used to releasing using the slide stop lever a Sig with the slide locked back and tell them to release the slide and watch as they repeatedly work the decocking lever).
    Ooooooh. Good point!
    Turtle snake to the north. Blue dragon to the east. Red sparrow to the south. White tiger to the west.

I have always pulled the slide back from slide lock for reasons other than for functioning under stress. I shoot diverse guns with different forms of slide lock or none at all. Also some older 1911's with softer slides can wear unduly where the slide stop and its notch mate.
    I always thought that pulling the slide all of the way back and then release led to more positive function since the slide hits a little harder. By the way on a 1911 or any other handgun I do not weaken springs like many gunsmith like to do, especially the hammer mainspring. The military issued the 1911 since 1911 w/o seeing the need to put a firing pin block in it. First thing a gunsmith does to a 1911 is to cut coils from the spring that retains the firing pin. I wonder if there is a connection between .45's going when dropped on the muzzle and this practice.
    Point is training and firearm modifications related to gun games are not always best for the real world.

Actually, unless you're an old school smith setting up a gun to shoot really weak wadcutters, you put an INCREASED power firing pin spring in the gun, precisely to prevent firing pin bounce/slam firing, even if you're putting a stock weight recoil spring in.

Coils get cut on the MAINSPRING if you're cheap, and are trying for a lighter than street trigger pull weight.
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.