Default DPS with Randy Harris

Just wanted to write up a quick review of the class I attended this weekend.
    For starters I was pretty sure i already knew everything, and boy was I wrong. I am an admitted competition shooter. I am a B level USPSA shooter, as well as 3-Gun, and various other rifle disciplines. Just so you know where I am coming from.
    The class started with a lecture on how to avoid getting into a gunfight. Followed by an explanation of the draw stroke, and why it is important. As well as an explanation of the proper way to grip a pistol. Then we got into some dry fire, and sight alignment drills.
    The second half of the day was spent on the range. We started with small targets fairly close, and concentrated on stepping out of the line of fire, and firing a perfect shot. We then switched to some bigger targets, and sped up.
    The morning of day two we headed straight to the range. It was quite apparent that every shooters groups where better than they had been the day before. I watched as very new shooters were hitting a small steel target at 50 yards with ease.
    The afternoon of day two started off on the range. We went into shoot the threat to the ground, as well as multiple threat encounters, how to manage them, how to avoid them. As well as a little explanation of more advanced classes, and what to expect from them. We then headed up for a little more lecture and Q & A.
    At the end of the day I was really impressed with the structure of the class. Randy did a very good job at explaining the material, as well as the reasons he believed in the material. If you get a chance to train with Randy I highly suggest you do. I know I will be back.
    Last edited by OHtard; 05-03-2010 at 05:00 PM.

That is great to hear about your previous experience and what you learned in the class. I've been worried that the class might be too basic (especially if you have had previous lessons, etc and I have) but hearing from you has helped alleviate such concerns. Apparently, even the beginning classes offer skills above what you would get anywhere else! I love to hear it. I've signed up for the DPS with Jack Rumbaugh in July. Should be a fun time...did it a week ago. :)

The only real difference between master level shooters and basic shooters is the level of competence with basic skills.

Once you learn the basics you can speed up. High level competitors can simply do the basics faster and more efficiently than most.

Tune ups on your basic skills and overall technique are never wasted.
    Just because you cant imagine it doesnt mean I can't do it.

Most people are not looking for answers....they are looking for approval.

The more ingrained the fundamentals are the less you have to actively focus on doing them while the fight is on.

If you have internalized the ability to run the gun you can focus on winning the fight, not on making the tool work.

That comes from mastering the fundamentals....or so I have been told ;)
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Default basics are important

i found i had a weird bowling motion in my draw. the result being my sights did not always end up where they were supposed to be.
    the class will surely make you a better shooter.

Thumbs up My experience with DPS class

I took the Defensive Pistol Class with Randy this weekend too. This was much more than I expected. I too was worried it would be to basic since I already had a basic pistol class from a private instructor about a year ago. The difference was this was fundamentals of DEFENSIVE pistol, in other words, the basics needed to win a gun fight in a parking lot or some other area where an attack may occur.

We spent a lot of time the first day drawing and shooting a small target at close range, trying to consistently hit the center and practicing our trigger control. At my local indoor range, I've always avoided shooting beyond 10 yards because I couldn't consistently hit my target. Imagine my surprise when Randy moved us to 25 and then 40 yards and I was able to hit a steel target from that distance with my little Taurus PT709! If you get the fundamentals down, you can do many things you thought you couldn't do.

As for Randy Harris, he is a great instructor. He's very patient and treated everyone with respect and courtesy. He never yelled at anyone (unlike my previous non-Suarez instructor). Besides Suarez's great reputation for training, one of the main reasons I chose them was because of their student focused approach and that I'd be treated with courtesy and respect (see the About Us tab on their home page). Randy's consistent use of humor kept everyone relaxed and focused through the whole weekend.

I'll be signing up for Close Range Gunfighting as soon as it becomes available near me. I can't wait for my next class!!

Thanks man.

Taurus dude had the distinction of having the smallest gun in class with the longest trigger pull, yet he was able to hit an 8x12" target at 40 yards on the first round from the holster several times. I asked if they thought that would have been possible the day before the class. Everyone said no.Maybe there is something to this proper grip and trigger control business after all? :D

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the little Taurus actually worked. I do not remember a single malfunction all weekend from it. In fact I was rather impressed.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 05-08-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....