Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, it looks like I made a mistake. I will try not to let it happen again.
    I suppose it depends on the powder you are using. If you use a faster burning powder, there should be less change as the barrel is shortened.
    Phil

Grey Man Guest
    Mine is a 26 inch barrel sounds like cutting it down to 22 and threading it for a flash hider is in order . . . in another 6 months when I have $ :(

Grey Man Guest

Default Update

Well 4 months later I've sold enough gear to spend on the following upgrades

Bell and Carlson Duramaxx Synthetic Stock - $100
    - Alluminum Pillar Bedding
    - black synthetic with gray spiderweb pattern

Timney Adjustable Trigger - Nickel Coated - $100
    - Breaks at 3.25 pounds like a glass rod and oh is it a sweet and wonderful!

I also took some left over spray paint and made the saint james cross with a little freehand and some masking tape. . . .its not perfect I'll have to take some of the overspray off with a q tip and brake cleaner . . .

This is what she looks like now . . .

What I'd like to do . ..

Karsten Cheek Piece from OST - $60

Oversized bolt handle from Sharp Shooter Supply $30

and someday when somebody makes a detachable mag for 300 WSM in a savage 16 action I'll do that . . . Otherwise I think that all she needs is another 100 rounds to practice with @ the 600 yard range and I'll be a happy shooter :)

Very nice, but that barrel surely looks awfully looooong! ;)

Regards,
    Anthony.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

Grey Man Guest
    The picture shows it stretched from chamber to crown its like 23.5 inches . . .I don't think I'd want it more than 2 inches shorter otherwise it'd lose velocity at further ranges. . .

next year or the year after I'll put in a fluted match grade barrel thats threaded with a nice flash hider package ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Man View Post
    The picture shows it stretched from chamber to crown its like 23.5 inches . . .I don't think I'd want it more than 2 inches shorter otherwise it'd lose velocity at further ranges. . .

next year or the year after I'll put in a fluted match grade barrel thats threaded with a nice flash hider package ;)
    OK.
    Just the photo then, that seems to make it look long.

Maybe the stock helps with this impression, plus the slim brl?

Regards,
    Anthony.
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-09-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death.
    We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely!
    And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly.
    Meet him as the proud warrior that you once were, and not as a sniveling coward.
    Nobody lives forever.

The investment I would suggest is getting into a basic reloading kit so you can afford to shoot alot more. You will save some serious money if you reload for 300WSM vs the cost of factory ammo. If you only want to shoot a few boxes a year, dont bother. The other investment is training. You have a good looking rifle that I am sure is capable of good accuracy. Once you have some training under your belt you will know for sure what changes you want to customize this rifle for you.

Grey Man Guest
    Right now the best rifle training I have under me is a precision rifle course, 4 years of shooting p dogs and some 2-5 hundred yard shots on deer . .. I'd like to go to an SI course but this year I've got CRG and AMOK that's all I can budget :(

Thumbs up Gsr

Nice rifle and good job but IMHO I still think the barrel is way too long 18" is plenty of barrel for 500-600 yards

how is that scope working for you ? I broke one of the same model

here I can save you some $$$ the stock type extended bolt handle is under $20 from midway or brownells

here is a less expensive cheek piece $10 less and it works great

http://desertwarriorproducts.com/Cheek-Rest-700.html

Grey Man Guest
    spanky 68 thanks but for 10 bucks I'll support the gents that have supported me for . . 5 years now ;)