I took the Force-On-Force class w/ Randy Harris over the weekend. At first I wasn't doing as well as I had expected, but I quickly reasoned that in these scenarios you need to get shot some to learn what works and what doesn't.

In these scenarios you have to be reactive to the Bad Guy's action which gives the BG the advantage. On some of the scenarios we made the BG (who is initiating) shoot a barrel behind the GG's starting position before he turned his muzzle at the GG for subsequent shots. This was supposed to simulate the OODA loop process as the BG probably wouldn't be expecting your counterattack, and in class the guy role playing the BG knows that you are going to counterattack. To keep the BG from anticipating your movement and drawing to where you will be instead of to where you were, Randy incorporated the first barrel shot.

Randy had an excellent and convincing presentation on directional movement under various distances which I hope he shares at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference.

We did some disarm techniques which some of the students occasionally managed to incorporate into the real close range scenarios.

At two yards I think everyone got stabbed when the BG had the knife. At this close proximity the priority should be to move first, and draw second. I have ingrained the habit of drawing at the same time I move. At this distance that didn't work out as well as moving first. We discussed various techniques to help mitigate this distance problem.

The area that is right outside what you can close to disarm or foul a draw before the BG processes your move seems to be the hardest to deal with.

The drills with 2 or 3 BGs on 1 GG showed the importance of stacking the BGs, and the importance of situational awareness to keep yourself out of that scenario.

A high percentage of shots I took were in the hands, arms or shoulders. It reinforced the thought that I must practice my support hand and single hand manipulations.

In the last part of the class we did a bunch of role playing scenarios, which was very fun indeed. We often surprised ourselves in what we came up with while under pressure. In one home invasion scenario I grabbed a wooden stake which was laying on the ground and used it to keep a knife attacker at bay so I could engage his pistol armed buddy first.

We did scenarios which required a lot of decision making under pressure with multiple things going on at once.

Other glaring lessons for me included knowing the equipment's reliability before class. I had thought I had learned this lesson a long time ago but this should include airsoft equipment as well. It took a day to get my airsoft somewhat reliable.

There were at least two scenarios where I was too slow in drawing my weapon. In one I heard my screen door open and close while in my house and I didn't immediately draw the pistol (what was I worried about, I was in my house!?!). The other I saw a BG put his hand on what I presumed to be a gun or knife and again waited for confirmation of what was in his hand before drawing. This tendancy could get me killed. Hopefully, this lesson is learned.

The weekend's weather was good. By the second day everyone in class was working well together (even the Damn Yankee and the Doc's Limey Brit) and we were all having lots of fun. A very enlightening and enjoyable time was had in yet another class by the always thinking, always questioning and always helpful Randy Harris.

Oh yea, my post-like thin profile still did not keep me from looking like I had the chicken pox when I got home. :o