Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Working out without a warmup

Pavel, one of the founders of Kettle Ball Training (Dragon) is a firm believer in hard workouts without a warmup. His rationale is that if you are attacked, you cannot warm up nor will your assailant give you the time to do so.
    Because I deal in Rehabilitation, my clients absolutely need to warm up before the workout gets difficult. But, their seems to be some validity to what he is saying. Having been in combat, I can relate somewhat to what he is saying. But, because it was so long ago,41 years, the muscle memory is their but my cognitive memory just can't recall the exact feelings.
    What are your thoughts?

Default I like that idea, I would work it with padded stick sparring ect...

I think this falls in the same category as hitting without gloves on, as in, do it once and a while so that you understand that feeling, but don't risk injury with it. No reason to tear or pull a muscle, but not a reason why you couldn't arrive at the gym and immediately box (with gear), fight with padded sticks ect... In your mind you will always know what's coming but it will help overcome the "sudden rush"

If you use a little common sense, I don't see a problem. Cops frequently go from sitting in a car to a full on fight and the injury rate is (or at least use to be) relatively small from it. I was always more worried about some over enthusiastic cop popping me with a sap then pulling a muscle.
    "Many men are able, most aren't willing"
    J.B. Books

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes
    If you use a little common sense, I don't see a problem. Cops frequently go from sitting in a car to a full on fight and the injury rate is (or at least use to be) relatively small from it. I was always more worried about some over enthusiastic cop popping me with a sap then pulling a muscle.
    I took every opportunity to stretch that I could out there on the street. Even the occasional jumping jacks.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

"There are no silver medals on the world's mean streets." - CWS

Al Lipscomb Guest
    Does the bodies "fight or flight" system provide some of the effects of warming up?

Quote Originally Posted by arl
    Does the bodies "fight or flight" system provide some of the effects of warming up?
    From my experience, I have been in situations and altercations in which significant and sudden physical activity was involved, but I felt no semblance of fight or flight come on. The chemical cocktail was not released.
    Last edited by Cold War Scout; 09-22-2006 at 02:48 PM.
    “This is a war and we are soldiers. Death can come for us at anytime, and in anyplace.” - Morpheus

Al Lipscomb Guest
    What I was getting at is the danger of pulling something reduced because of the "fight or flight" reactions. Contrast that to normal exercise where it would be more imporatant to warm up as the body is still in "low gear".

I never warm up before downhill skiing or cycling I just start easy and I never had a problem with any pulled muscles or injuries relating to this exercises.

Also when I used to Wrestle and Judo in Israel when I was young we did not even know that we had to warm up first but here before starting a sesion of KENPO we used to start easy and then get faster and faster and of course by the time that we started sparring we were really warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike
    I never warm up before downhill skiing or cycling I just start easy and I never had a problem with any pulled muscles or injuries relating to this exercises.

Also when I used to Wrestle and Judo in Israel when I was young we did not even know that we had to warm up first but here before starting a sesion of KENPO we used to start easy and then get faster and faster and of course by the time that we started sparring we were really warmed up.
    The operative words....

Quote Originally Posted by arl
    What I was getting at is the danger of pulling something reduced because of the "fight or flight" reactions. Contrast that to normal exercise where it would be more imporatant to warm up as the body is still in "low gear".
    If I am not mistaken the chemical cocktail induced by true fight or flight (not just stress but real fight or flight) masks pain and injury. I seem to recall hearing that the women who have picked up cars to save their children also ripped numerous muscles/tendons/ligaments in their bodies and had to be hospitalized as a consequence. Injury still occurs. The chemicals help mask it so that you can survive but afterwards there may be physical hell to pay.