Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little knife

I really don’t know. I know that they stuck to my design pretty much exactly.

I do know that they did a bunch of historical research, checking historic examples for similar pieces.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I spent a lot of time the last couple years with the sword. One thing I got into was the langes messer (German for ďlong knifeĒ). I found Landsknecht Emporium, a custom sword and knife maker in Hungary, that specializes in hard use historical reproductions (both sharps and blunt trainers). I picked up a Gottfried, which I have posted here before.

Attachment 61579

I have been very happy with this sword. Itís a bit shorter than a standard katana, itís very nimble in the hand, and it is SHARP. Much sharper than any production sword I have worked with.

I didnít have it very long before I decided that I wanted a matching knife. They donít offer exactly what I wanted, so I drafted a design and sent to them. Several months later (they are in high demand), I got a message that the knife is done and on its way. I canít wait to get my hands on it.

They posted pictures on their Facebook page and apparently got so many requests and questions about it that they posted answers for all to see. Apparently LOTS of people want it. Landsknecht Emporium responded that they donít recreate custom orders so sadly it wonít be available in exactly this configuration as it wouldnít be fair to the customer/designer...but I let them know that I donít care if they add it to their regular line up (itís really their design, just scaled down). They are too backed up to do so but arenít ruling it out in the future. So, who knows, maybe one day you guys can buy one.

I had pretty precise dimensions but donít have the specs in front of me. Itís smaller than what I usually cut with, but Crocodile Dundee would be proud.

Attachment 61580

Attachment 61581

Attachment 61582
    I own the Cold Steel interpretation of the Grosse Messer and I like it. It has been described as a real beast by people who know swords.

Yours looks so much better than the one I have. You can see the superior quality just in the picture.

The knife looks awesome as well. If I had that knife, I would move to Texas just so I could carry it every day.

Enjoy possessing such fine steel.
    "I have many people, but few men."
    -Xerxes, King of Persia, at the battle of Thermopylae

"Charity has got everything to do with giving, but nothing to do with taking."
    -Pastor Gregory Moss, from When The Host Dies

"Studies show that a rapist who has been shot several times loses ardor."
    -Fred Reed

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Trench

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I really donít know. I know that they stuck to my design pretty much exactly.

I do know that they did a bunch of historical research, checking historic examples for similar pieces.

That's quite cool they did their own research as well for your design.

And I agree with Trench, that piece of steel deserves to be carried somewhere.

Brent,

Those look awesome very cool!
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

That’s wicked! Can you detail the purpose of the “3rd” guard sticking out at 90 degrees? Fairly obvious that it adds protection, but also not seen on other blades. Is that a minimalists design for a full basket hilt or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    That’s wicked! Can you detail the purpose of the “3rd” guard sticking out at 90 degrees? Fairly obvious that it adds protection, but also not seen on other blades. Is that a minimalists design for a full basket hilt or similar?
    That piece is called the "nagel", German for nail. It offers some hand protection but it's main purpose is holding the guard in place. The guard slides over the blade, rather than the tang as for most swords. The nail is then peened flat on the other side to lock everything in place. It's one of the defining characteristics of a messer. Some nagels are more elaborate than others, providing a little more protection for the hand.

Messer nagel.JPG

Messer nagel 2.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Learn something every day. Thanks!