Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    If we shoot j-frames from bags of Doritos it’ll be called the V-Drill.

This all goes back to SI teaching real world experience.

The first time I ever shot through a garment was on the range at Complete Pistol. It wasn’t the last, but real world was easier having done it before.
    This is one of the underappreciated values of training. Your brain knows the difference between training and real life, but your body and nervous system don't. Doing a Force on Force class creates "grooves in the brain"...effectively it's as close to experiencing a real gunfight as you can get without doing it for real. Same for doing a Hands vs Guns class, same for 0-5 or Pistol Ground Fighting. Having done it before makes it easier when you have to do it for real.

It's not a matter of KNOWING things. That's a good start, but one must be able to DO things. As I've said before, knowledge is not power until it is made real in the flesh.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Colt has the worst marketing and new product development of any company, of any kind, anywhere....

At risk of being branded forever as a gun hipster, I have always like Colt snubs.
    coltsteel1.jpg

I'm about as hip as a celluloid collar, and I like 'em, too.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I will add simply that an athletic physique allows a great deal more latitude in clothing selection and concealment. For me...if I need to conceal in an NPE, a pocket, tucked in AIWB holsterless, or even off body carry (who searches a bag of chips?) makes more sense than ankle carry. These are things that can be tested I suppose. Deeper concealment means less speed in access...but is a pocket any less concealed than an ankle? Understood the passing through secured areas thing...and that makes much more sense...but is that more a Transition Carry than a Primary Carry? Perhaps it is. Think, for example, of placing an airweight J under a blob of nachos before wiping it off and placing it in its proper place. Nacho carry is not a primary method, but rather a subterfuge to pass through a barrier.
    YES. The times I have used ankle carry for a practical purpose was exactly this, Transition Carry. I didn't have a label for it, but that's exactly how I thought of it.

A purpose made holster would have been much more comfortable than my sock, but it was effective on the fly. We adapt as necessary.

I haven't thought about Bag of Chips carry in awhile. I'm liking the idea of bag of unbuttered popcorn...no window in the bag, and I'll bet it hides the gun easier.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

We will add a "Bag of Chips" to the class list. LOL

On Colt. They developed a strong reputation in the early days and never progressed. Their best products have been eclipsed by other companies offering same, better, improved, and/or cheaper (357 revolvers, 38 snubbies, 1911 and AR15s). If you have a Colt, use it. It is as useful as any other weapon. But would I suggest a Colt over an S&W? No.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Actually...if we are being true to character...una bolsa de chicharrones cabron!

chicharron.jpg
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    ... the new Cobras or whatever they're called? They've been out for a couple of years now and I've seen surprising little about them anywhere.
    I had considered the Colt Night Cobra at one time, but found it to be a no-go.

Cobra.jpg

I'm guessing it's still being built on the same D frame as the old Police Positive, so I wouldn't really call it a small frame. The extra girth of the cylinder that provides for the 6th round along with the ample grip size panels makes it very back end heavy. I had a Cobra with minimalist grips in the 80's and found that in an an open top IWB holster, the gun would pop out in the most inconvenient of times. The new Cobra would seem to aggravate that problem.

G.C.... you are correct. Colt's new product development is the worst.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 06-18-2021 at 10:11 AM.

I WANT to like Colt but they are one of those companies that almost always seems to disappoint.

Maybe CZ will do a better job with them. I hold out some hope. Jaded, cynical, and slim hope, but still, hope.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I WANT to like Colt but they are one of those companies that almost always seems to disappoint.

Maybe CZ will do a better job with them. I hold out some hope. Jaded, cynical, and slim hope, but still, hope.

You would think (for what good that apparently does) that somebody would want to offer a credible competitor to S&W in this market niche. Posts like this thread basically lay out the roadmap for (a) what a portion of the market wants that (b) has both the money and interest to buy a top shelf (or at least upper-middle) product to satisfy that want and (c) identifies what ought to be an influential and authoritative segment of consumers who could persuade other consumers to evolve in their thinking and preferences. No bells or whistles required, just a solid product, that's all that is being asked for.

Though maybe in the era of the cheap consumer, perhaps they don't see the investment in this sort of product as worthwhile. After all, there aren't a lot of ways to "upgrade" your M&P340, which seems to be the driving factor in so many firearms purchase decisions people make. So in response to S&W we are left with the Taurus and Charter Arms offerings, which don't even feel to be the equal when you handle them in the gun shop, to say nothing of how they shoot or hold up. But they're cheaper, so people seem to gobble them up. My local chain sporting goods store (yes, I know, but it is literally a 5 minute walk from my house so I wander there sometimes) sells the Taurus stuff practically as soon as it comes in. The 642 (always with lock, maybe with lasergrips) sits there for months at a time.

Now if Colt-Z will start making actual King Cobras again, especially 2.5" blued ones, they would have my attention and my dollars. Not because they fill a tactical niche, obviously, but just because I always wanted one back from when I read the gun rags in the 1980s and early 1990s.

pix101899643.jpg
    Last edited by M_P_E; 06-18-2021 at 11:20 AM.

There is a niche for small revolvers and it would not be a bad thing if S&W had some decent competition.

I've never been a fan of Ruger autos, but I know their revolvers are robust (at least the big ones). I like the idea of their polymer revolver but don't like anything about it once it's in the hand. I did buy an SP101 in 327; it has a 3" barrel and I like those attributes, but it is pretty rough out of the box. There is certainly room for improvement and more variety in the small revolver market.

A good example of innovation is that Kimber revolver. I'm not a huge fan of the company and I question their QC, but I will say that I was impressed with the version I got to shoot. Not perfect by any means, but the model I shot had an excellent DAO trigger, there was not a rough edge on it, and overall just had some very nice attributes. I didn't like it well enough to purchase at its price point, but I always like to see companies trying to innovate.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I am totally ok with the “bag of chips” drill; however, there will be no “V”(ickers) drill - that would require consuming at least one bag of Doritos first and then shooting with sticky orange fingers. I have more self respect than that.

That said, I love the idea of looking for some of these alternative drills. I bet we can find some more if we go back to the “early works” (McGivern for example). He had a number of points regarding alternative carry and drawing.