Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry

I have been to a handful of events over the years where I saw they were using wands. I didn’t have an ankle holster, but a quick jaunt to an alley to break down a glock into “sock carry” and I was able to pass security. After a trip to the stall, I had a full size red dot glock on my belt.

Sock carry isn’t comfortable. And during that window of time waiting for security check it would suck to have an event. But I judged it was a worthwhile gamble. Ankle carry is not usually worth the trouble for me, but it has its place for one off events.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Some snapshots from Chic Gaylord’s book, demonstrating outside ankle carry and drawing while walking (pics courtesy JNobody).

I personally don’t find much use for ankle carry other than special purposes getting past certain checkpoints. Nor do I think this is a best practice, drawing while standing on one leg. But it may be just the thing for someone given particular circumstances.

I think it would be interesting to go back in time and discuss ideas with people like Gaylord.

43BD912C-90F1-4545-BDF3-BFDF48E4AFEA.jpeg

DA57BFB1-1E80-42E1-98BE-A15DE8BC1E4F.jpeg

123103A1-8425-43CC-AB84-330607AA1CB7.jpeg
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Some snapshots from Chic Gaylord’s book, demonstrating outside ankle carry and drawing while walking (pics courtesy JNobody).

I personally don’t find much use for ankle carry other than special purposes getting past certain checkpoints. Nor do I think this is a best practice, drawing while standing on one leg. But it may be just the thing for someone given particular circumstances.

I think it would be interesting to go back in time and discuss ideas with people like Gaylord.

43BD912C-90F1-4545-BDF3-BFDF48E4AFEA.jpeg

DA57BFB1-1E80-42E1-98BE-A15DE8BC1E4F.jpeg

123103A1-8425-43CC-AB84-330607AA1CB7.jpeg
    J.C. Whitney!!!! That book takes me back to my teenaged years. I had a hardcover, read it over and over again along with all of the other writers of the age. As I remember Gaylord -- a holster maker who claimed NYPD cops as clients -- even included a section on how to draw and fire a 1911 from condition three ... showed an MP in full garrison gear (including the old white "bus driver hat) racking the slide in his GI flap holster akin to how we slam the rear sights or optic against a solid object to clear a malfunction. I still have an old High Standard Sentinel .22 that he touted as a perfect practice gun. lol Yeah, things have evolved, but they had to start somewhere.

Geez, I'm getting old. lol
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

The hell you are. Notice how we're still working out this stuff six decades later?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

To me ancle carry isn't for a BUG. I like inside leg on the off side cary but the best ways of getting at it are supine or kneeling. I haven't done it in years and likely wouldn't again altho I did a drill a while back that made me go for one that wasn't there
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

When I used to ankle carry, I would carry it on the inside of my right leg butt forward. So right handed draw from right leg. I would prefer pocket carry in my left pocket over ankle carry though. I prefer to carry two guns appendix, and when I can't do that I usually go with the Enigma.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend
    Pistol Ground Fighting

TWOTU since 2016

I spent most of my J-frame Carry time with it in a pocket holster; however, I have been considering trying an ankle holster for quite a while. Jonathan has convinced me to try one of the Wilderness designs for the J frame once my 340 arrives.

For those who like the old Chic Gaylord designs, the closest approximation is the Bell Charter Oak holsters. I have a simple deep clip design for a Colt D frame that easily rides AIWB. They are not fancy or modern, but are perfect matches for 50’s and 60’s holster designs.

Always interesting to see old books on various subjects.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

I find that wearing on the inside left leg works well for me from any seated position. Whether driving, at my desk or in church. Of course I wear western boots nearly all of the time with jeans or slacks. I find the boot assists with the draw and does hide the gun perfectly. This is nearly always a backup to my primary but certainly has a place for me. And I agree that it is certainly best as a proactive deployment. Needing it in the middle of the fight would suck rocks.

Does a "left" IWB clip holster inside my right cowboy boot count as ankle carry.
    USN 1976-1983
    Western Australia
    Gulfport MS
    Guam
    Diego Garcia BIOT
    Belle Chasse LA