Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry

Second the speed strips
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Oh...I will add this.

AT nearly 61 I am in the best physical shape of my life. I tend to dress in a way that showcases rather than hides my physique. I don't skip leg day and with the size of my calves, unless I sport bell bottoms from the 1970s, trying to access an ankle carried weapon is absolutely ridiculous.
    Same here. I have been doing a bit if practice with it to become familiar, but I donít think it conceals well on me.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I think LE uses the ankle when in uniform as there really aren’t other accessible areas. The soft external carriers that once had pockets now have spare M4 magazines and radio gear. I could completely see a UC or detective putting a j-frame in his back pocket, but with the modern dress code so often requiring tucked in shirt that might create an issue. The only guys with untucked shirts that I see now which might assist in hiding the back pocket carried revolver are Intel and Gangs.

This is why I think a j-frame class could be good as it would show in real life what works and what does not.

I use an ankle rig from Kramer or The Wilderness as in uniform I don’t have much choice. Both rigs work great and fit over Solomon boots. It’s not ideal, but it’s always there.

I like to wear shorts in the summer. No Go

I like to wear Kuhls during the mid weather and cold months. Those are tight legged and speak of squats deads and kicks on the bag. If I wore an ankle rig with those people would think I had an ankle monitor and that I absconded from house arrest.

When I am in social events I wear American Eagle jeans that not only highlight my physicality...but (don't laugh motherfuckers) also stretch. Yup...I can drop into a rice paddy squat, knee some homie in the head and catch the eye of every lady in the room. Yet ankle carry won't work there either...specially over the boots.

Honestly for me I see ankle carry in the same realm as a behind-the-back sword carry. Interesting academically...but not for me.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I think LE uses the ankle when in uniform as there really aren’t other accessible areas. The soft external carriers that once had pockets now have spare M4 magazines and radio gear. I could completely see a UC or detective putting a j-frame in his back pocket, but with the modern dress code so often requiring tucked in shirt that might create an issue. The only guys with untucked shirts that I see now which might assist in hiding the back pocket carried revolver are Intel and Gangs.

This is why I think a j-frame class could be good as it would show in real life what works and what does not.

I use an ankle rig from Kramer or The Wilderness as in uniform I don’t have much choice. Both rigs work great and fit over Solomon boots. It’s not ideal, but it’s always there.
    Working on it brother.
    Gabriel Suarez

sneakypete.jpg

My tac officer ran a pouch like this on his duty belt. His had a Red Cross patch on it. And a Glock 26 in it.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ...but (don't laugh motherfuckers) also stretch. Yup...I can drop into a rice paddy squat, knee some homie in the head and catch the eye of every lady in the room.
    Lol... anyone that laughs hasn't tried them. I recently got some shorts that stretch. Its nice not having my legs and massive junk smashed when I do more than stand still or be forced to wear very baggy shorts to move well.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

It's not dropping into rice paddy prone that's the problem. It's jumping out of it that leads to involuntary, um, exclamations.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

I tried ankle carry of J frames at the beginning of my martial training, as my Farnam-trained instructor told me that was "What a real man does".

Ankle carry was not comfortable, but I kept it up for 2 years including considerable practice drawing and reloading. I could not get ankle carry and cowboy boots to work together. A J frame is trim, but bulky enough, that it only worked with extra long and baggy pants. A Glock 43 would be trimmer, but I don't want a striker pistol in that awkward location. Perhaps, a Sig P290 - if I could find one.

Over time, I decided that the only sensible situations for ankle carry was either long driving trips or sitting in my office grinding out spreadsheets.

During my first class with Gabe, I quickly determined that ankle carry interferes with dynamic getting off the X. No more ankle carry since that day.

These days, a pocket holster with a J frame or a Seecamp often rides in a pants pocket or coat pocket if it's really cold.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

I was assigned in southeast asia for several years, and security theater has been in force there for decades. I was wanded with handheld Garret metal detectors, multiple times a day, and sometimes walk through detectors at malls. Almost every decent restaurant, mall, hotel, public building checked everyone entering.

Less than a week of just watching how they screened showed me the way.

By the end of my tour, I was screened probably nearly a thousand times. My ankle gun was not found once. Not once. In a walk through detector, I would just display my belt buckle, keys, and get waved through. Sometimes if the environment called for it, after the screening the pistol would get discretely moved to holsterless AIWB.

Ankle carry -while not ideal by any means- 100% has it's place in the toolkit for specialized purposes.