Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield M1A

Default Springfield M1A

I have a basic SA M1A. If I do my job it does its job. If I am rested and practice good shooting fundamentals it makes accurate hits out to 300 with irons. I am pleased with it. I was on a FB page where guys with more expensive brands of M1As were bemoaning the SA quality/accuracy. Did I just get lucky?

Not in my experience. I would have zero issue grabbing my Springfield M1A and going to fight. I normally shoot it at 600.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Agree with Drokface, I'd grab one of mine in a heartbeat, no second thoughts.

I had a Springfield that was minute of basketball at 200. I'll never buy one again, at least not from Springfield, I'll likely geta smith if I get another. Springfield as a whole has gone down in quality though, since becoming Springfield armory inc

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

There are guys who are piss-poor shots and they will always blame the equipment. The M1A is a good platform as those of us who used the military version (M14) back in the 1960s and the Camp Perry crowd know from experience.

I really cannot speak to the quality of present day SA M1A rifles, but I can say that my early 90’s(mostly GI parts) rifle is a very good shooter. It is a loaded version with the match barrel, sights and trigger, but the good bedding job really helped it. It is a very good all around weapon, and I really enjoy shooting it.

Mine's old. Bought it in 1978 when I knew the US Army wouldn't allow me to "take" my M14 with me when I left.

Got thousands of rounds through it. Every now and then I think about getting a new barrel put on it, but it just keeps shooting (when I do take it to the range).

The only thing on it now that wasn't on it when I bought it is the operating rod. I broke the op rod (had it welded and broke it again) with 180 grain Sierra match kings and IMR4350 powder back in 1982/82. Read an article later to find out IMR4350 powder is "not good" for the M1A/M1 Garand gas systems and you can break stuff using it. Shot really good, too. Oh well.

Other than the op rod (and the operating rod spring) it's all original for the metal parts/springs. I would say it's been very reliable for me.

You can get good/bad guns (just like cars/trucks) in any brand/model/caliber. I hear SA has a good warranty (life time).

Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    I had a Springfield that was minute of basketball at 200. I'll never buy one again, at least not from Springfield, I'll likely geta smith if I get another. Springfield as a whole has gone down in quality though, since becoming Springfield armory inc

Unfortunately, this is what I've seen and heard about SA's QA slipping. They seem to be willing to cut corners to sell at a lower price.

Their warranty service was great except they would never send a part, even an RSA nor let you buy a spare.

Smith M1s look real nice, will consider them if/when I get a M1. Right now it's on the "cool gun to eventually buy" list along with a MP5 clone.

I had an M1A Loaded about ten years ago, but decided to sell it and my SOCOM II when the bolt rapidly and spontaneously disassembled itself while firing. The SOCOM II had issues because the manual said to grease it instead of oil, but I never found a grease thin enough to allow the gun to complete the full firing function cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by IZinterrogator View Post
    I had an M1A Loaded about ten years ago, but decided to sell it and my SOCOM II when the bolt rapidly and spontaneously disassembled itself while firing. The SOCOM II had issues because the manual said to grease it instead of oil, but I never found a grease thin enough to allow the gun to complete the full firing function cycle.
    M1 instructions have always been to grease it. This is nothing new and not a problem for it or the m1a.

I grease both and have no issues.