Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    P250 is no longer in production.
    Nicely done.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

During my last vist to the Glock Company in Deutsch-Wagram in Austria, I think it was in year 2000, they showed me a 100 meter indoor range. When I asked for the purpose I was told it was for the rifle they wanted to build. Nothing has happened until today. I think they never persued the project further. You can probabely have only a good throw once like the Glock pistol was.
    beware of the man who shoots one gun.

They have a huge piece of the global handgun market. It's hugely improbable that their new rifle will come close to matching what they have accomplished with their pistols. On the one hand, a "one trick pony" is a lousy business plan. On the other hand, this can only dilute their position.

I think Glock could do it if they set their sights on it, but contrary to what a lot of people expect, the designs and features that make a Glock pistol great don't really transfer over to a rifle (like the trigger and fire control parts for example). The biggest advantages they could bring to a decent fighting rifle though are the simplicity their pistols are known for, easy field stripping, and their polymer injection molding capabilities. I doubt much else would be recognizable as "Glock" other than the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    You can probabely have only a good throw once like the Glock pistol was.
    They had a good product and a clever strategy at the right time - and rested on their laurels for a long time after that.
    And yes, even when they went with the times and changed their products to what the market or specific customers demanded, they did not innovate on the same scale as before. But neither did anyone else, really, and Glock still has a lot of experience with modern production methods and a strong engineering department (and well-trained personnel on the whole) going for it.

Of course, the timing for a Glock rifle cannot be as good as it was back then for their first pistols.
    But a rifle that is (more than) reasonably priced, modular, easy to use, disassemble (completely) and modify, reliable and long-lived...that can surely achieve its share of the market, especially when we are talking about customers outside of the USA.

When I started getting into guns, you saw a pretty good mix of semi-auto rifles in Germany. Since then, price, availability and modularity/third party products have caused most of the semi-auto rifles sold to be AR clones. But this dominance is not as long-lived and deep-roted as in the US. I can still imagine government agencies and private citizens alike buying non-ARs over here if price and performance are right.
    At the moment, you can either not get certain rifles at all or you pay more for less performance compared to the AR. Under those circumstances, the AR dominance is only natural.

More generally speaking, you can easily spot the firearm companies that had one good product 30 or 40 years ago by the fact they don't exist anymore.
    All the big companies had some bad years and some subpar products, but in the big picture they had different solid performers over most of their company history even if most of them were not the almost legendary success stories of, say, the Glock pistols or the G3 and the MP5.

I think it would be cool if Glock bought Kel-Tec's designs but made them work well.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think it would be cool if Glock bought Kel-Tec's designs but made them work well.
    As much as I hate to use the names Keltec and Glock in the same paragraph, I would have expected Glock to give us something with a form factor more akin to a high quality Sub-2000 than an AR, though after looking at the patent drawings, it's not that similar to an AR internally.
    Breakfast cereal is just dog food for people
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"

I think Glock is going with a generic form factor like a cheap indie horror film using a bad actress with big tits and hoping the power of Glock boners will prevail to sell the rifles.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think Glock is going with a generic form factor like a cheap indie horror film using a bad actress with big tits and hoping the power of Glock boners will prevail to sell the rifles.
    I like everything about this comparison.