Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BUMP HELMETS

Just for reference, a ballistic helmet in similar configuration costs between $700-1500 depending on NIJ rating. So a bump helmet is just that, and will work well for the vast majority of situations, and a ballistic helmet can save the top and back of your head from a bullet, if it comes to that. But the price is the price.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

not to mention, the product description contains the ansi cert info with a link, sooo... ya know, read the product description

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I prefer these bump helmets compared to the heavier and costlier ballistic domes. More affordable cost means I can get multiple units. Lighter weight translates into better movement. My shipment arrived today - great kit - buy with confidence!?
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    if you want ballistic, then go get ballistic. Gabe's already mentioned in other threads, the purpose of this is to protect from debris and blunt objects in a shit environment such as portland where "incoming" can be seen as replacing "hello" as the greeting of the day. is it gonna stop a bullet? fuck no, its plastic, but if a bottle comes flying at you will it offer as much protection as ballistic? yes.

if you really wanna see bumps in action, spend some time on funker530 or go look at videos and photos of bombing aftermaths and you'll see all s&r teams use bumps

i feel like i also need to add, ballistics are not bulletproof, they are simply meant to be deflective based on projectile angles.
    thank you. that makes sense

Speed, movement, endurance.

Everyone has a delta of protection/speed based on their unique mission profile.

Our brother team we sometimes refer to as Ninja Turtles as they favor combined soft and hard armor with neck, shoulder, groin protection and ballistic helmets. Add to that the other ancillary kit, gas mask on the off leg, etc. and you get heavily armored but slower and quicker to tire team.

Our folks wear plate carriers with bouyency neutral UHDPE plates, and usually bump helmets. Masks stay at the vehicles unless we are saying "hi" inside a structure weve already gassed, and sometimes not even then if we havent used a saturation gas plan. We have less protection, but can sprint 100 yds to a point to stack and enter a structure without much difficulty.

Pick for your intended profile.

We have ballistic helmets, they usually stay in the armory.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Can anyone recommend a good mesh cover? I was amazed at selection but figured one of the tribe here has experience. I last wore my Kevlar before retiring in early 2000s so am a bit unfamiliar with new stuff. Thanks very kindly
    In every country where independence has taken the place of liberty, the first desire of a manly heart is to possess a weapon, which at once renders him capable of defence or attack, and, by rendering its owner terrible, often makes him feared- Alexandre Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by thewolverine View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good mesh cover? I was amazed at selection but figured one of the tribe here has experience. I last wore my Kevlar before retiring in early 2000s so am a bit unfamiliar with new stuff. Thanks very kindly
    DEPENDS ON WHAT STYLE OF HELMET YOU NEED IT TO FIT, ACH, MICH, PASGT, MID CUT, LOW CUT, BUMP?

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Speed, movement, endurance.

Everyone has a delta of protection/speed based on their unique mission profile.

Our brother team we sometimes refer to as Ninja Turtles as they favor combined soft and hard armor with neck, shoulder, groin protection and ballistic helmets. Add to that the other ancillary kit, gas mask on the off leg, etc. and you get heavily armored but slower and quicker to tire team.

Our folks wear plate carriers with bouyency neutral UHDPE plates, and usually bump helmets. Masks stay at the vehicles unless we are saying "hi" inside a structure weve already gassed, and sometimes not even then if we havent used a saturation gas plan. We have less protection, but can sprint 100 yds to a point to stack and enter a structure without much difficulty.

Pick for your intended profile.

We have ballistic helmets, they usually stay in the armory.

I recall the same issues "back in the day". A neighboring team was big on using shields. They called them "Mobile Bunkers" or something of the sort. They had their use...but the truth f the matter was that they could never move quickly, nor silently with them. They were like a big train of fat turtles lumbering along a hallway behind what was in essence, a door from a gun safe. We were able to move quickly and quietly and get guns on target soonest.

I recall at my first SWAT school...put on by LASD SEB guys. One gent that would later become a good friend, Sgt. Rovarino was asked about these things with the qualifier that they were cover and increased officer safety, etc. Sgt. Rov, picked up an MP5 that had been used for a demo in class, pointed to the muzzle and said, "This is my cover". Then to the magazine, "this is my cover". "The best safety is a suspect that is not in a position to, or physically able to shoot any of you".

And we didn't even have helmets...bump or ballistic!

My view on these is that bump helmets will prevent injury from the unforseen "thrown object" as has become common from the new enemies of America. I don't know the stats but expect more bricks have careened off bump helmets in America than US LE have been saved from head shots by wearing a ballistic lid.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

My thoughts "reposted" from a blog article I penned a few years ago, but all is still just as true. I will add that in the time since writing the article that this excerpt is from, I have been in both a helicopter crash and a high speed vehicle roll over and crawled out both times with minor injuries (a bruised hip from the helio and a broken arm during the roll over) BOTH TIMES I HAD A HELMET ON!

Helmets

I would feel as if this article was incomplete without at least briefly discussing head protection. I think that we can all agree that our head or more specifically our brain is pretty critical to life, however it is also fairly easy to injure and thus protecting it is important.

Warriors have been wearing head protection going back to dawn of time, I mean what’s more iconic then a Spartan’s helmet, even back then they knew enough to protect the “brain housing group”. This is still very much true today. The potential threats are vast, as are the options for protection.

Let’s look briefly at some of the risks of head injury.

Falls- Falls from any height where the head impacts the ground or other objects present a high potential for TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Fighting in and around structures result in massive amounts of falls both in training and combat.

High speed impact- This is more than just bumping your head; a collision with an object while running will often result in a TBI, however even just a simple bump on the head can reduce combat effectiveness for a short time.

Blows to the head- During a hand to hand engagement a blow to the head can be a fight and ultimately a life ender.

Gun shot- Due to the fact that the skull is a closed container; when bullets enter it at high velocity it causes massive damage, in many cases resulting in a near explosive evacuation of its contents.

Laceration- The scalp is extremely vascular and even rather minor lacerations from contact with sharp objects bleed a great deal, while this bleeding is not life threatening it is a distraction and in combat distractions are life threatening.

Vehicle crashes- The unpredicted and uncontrolled violent forces that are imposed on the body during the crash sequence result in significant numbers of brain injuries. NASCAR requires its drivers to wear helmets for a reason.

That was but a few of the countless risks that are common in combat and more specifically combat in an urban environment. The wearing of a helmet mitigates many of these risks; additionally it provides mounting and interface options for NVG (night vision goggles) and communication devices. So the wear of a helmet while conducting any sort of overt proactive fighting is in my opinion a no brainer.

Ballistic or Non-ballistic

The other option to consider is to choose a ballistic or a non-ballistic helmet. Just like other types of armor both have pros and cons.

Non-ballistic

Pros

Weight- Most “bump” or skateboard type helmets weight about a pound and a half.
    Profile- The low profile makes these helmets fairly cool and minimally intrusive on vision, or hearing.
    Cost- Most cost less than $100 although some are twice that for the “new hotness”
    Impact protection- These offer good impact protection for falls and bumps.
    Cons

No ballistic protection- That is really the only con for this type of helmet but depending on the application this could be a big one..
    Ballistic

Pros

Ballistic protection- Again this is a big one if you are in a two-way shooting match.
    Impact protection- Modern ballistic helmets provide very good impact protection.
    Cons

Cost- Modern ballistic helmets cost close to double what a simple bump helmet costs, however used ACH helmets are available online (ebay, craigslist, etc.) for under $200 if one shops around.
    Weight-Ballistic helmets weigh more.
    Profile- This depends on the style and cut of the helmet.
    Cheers
    T.

"VICTORIOUS WARRIORS WIN FIRST...
    AND THEN GO TO WAR,
    WHILE DEFEATED WARRIORS GO TO WAR FIRST...
    AND THEN SEEK TO WIN." Sun tzu

My bad.. I failed to mention I just purchased the Chase Tactical Bump helmet at Suarez International. Thanks for keeping me straight.
    In every country where independence has taken the place of liberty, the first desire of a manly heart is to possess a weapon, which at once renders him capable of defence or attack, and, by rendering its owner terrible, often makes him feared- Alexandre Dumas