Default Hornady 12 ga Slug (for rifled barrels)

As I was cleaning up one of my rental properties, my not so favorite tenant left behind a bunch of ammo. Among the ammo was 30 boxes of this stuff

IMG_20210424_221632530 (1).jpg

I have two shotguns but, without rifled barrels. Would I damage my barrel if I shot these without it being rifled?

Thanks!
    "I'll be your huckleberry"

No it won't hurt your barrel, probably won't be accurate.

Not sure if it is an option for you, but you could try a rifled screw in choke.

No it will not hurt the barrel. Is it a sabot round? Slugs are a strange animule! They shoot differently out of different guns. You have to try different brands till you find what shoots best for your gun.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

It just likely won't stabilize as well in a smooth bore.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/s...gr-ftx-slug#!/
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Thanks gents! Not a sabot but, slugs. I'll take them out to the farm this week and see how they do. If anything, I'll at least get some practice in.
    "I'll be your huckleberry"

If not sabots, they might shoot okay in a smooth bore. Worth a try, have fun!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrio1965 View Post
    Thanks gents! Not a sabot but, slugs. I'll take them out to the farm this week and see how they do. If anything, I'll at least get some practice in.
    They are a sabot slug round. In a shotgun, a single solid bullet is a "slug".

They have more or less a conventional bullet inside the sabot, and need rifling to stabilize, hence the label on the box. You may or may not find decent accuracy with them inside room distances, but they'll start tumbling and wandering off target much beyond that.

The typical Foster-style slug for smoothbores is shaped differently and is designed to stabilize without rifling, using a combination of front-weighted balance like an air gun pellet and fins that cause the slug to spin by air resistance. Same for Brenneke style slugs.

Those are probably worth quite a bit at today’s prices. Perhaps consider selling and purchase something you really want? You can get great accuracy out of those with a rifled barrel but probably not a smooth bore.

Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post
    Those are probably worth quite a bit at today’s prices. Perhaps consider selling and purchase something you really want? You can get great accuracy out of those with a rifled barrel but probably not a smooth bore.
    I concur. And, you might be able to trade 1-1 or better for some buckshot which may well serve you better in the future
    jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22