Default Chicago idiocy: Permission to chase on foot

[URL]https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/04/21/chicago-police-may-soon-need-supervisors-ok-to-chase-suspects-on-foot-mayor/amp/[URL/]

You can't make this crap up.Lori Lightweight, of course.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chasing anyone on foot is a crap shoot in any case, and certainly if you're solo. With an additional 30 pounds of crap to lug around, with a portable that may not be able to receive or send, and given any kind of urban alleyway/building scenario, you can find yourself lost, winded, out of radio contact and ambushed.

And yes, I have done this. But I wasn't ambushed. Sometimes I caught 'em, sometimes they got away. One time I had to sit on the suspect to catch my breath. That would be attempted murder in Minneapolis.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    One time I had to sit on the suspect to catch my breath. That would be attempted murder in Minneapolis.
    LOL'd at that.

Reminds me of a story a former coworker, who was a retired sheriff's deputy, told me about a footchase. He and others had been pursuing this druggy folks up 65, ended up on city streets and went on foot. Coworker was chasing this guy down an alleyway, close to catching him, and all of a sudden this massive city cop steps out and clotheslines the bad guy. Coworker congratulates the city cop, after they complete the arrest, and city cop, with a terrified look, implores him, "PLEASE don't tell anyone I did that! I would get in serious trouble with my department!" Coworker just shook his head at the policy and kept his lips sewn up to the supervisors.

Every foot pursuit ended up in a fight...every one. Either I caught them and pushed them into a building, parked car, or other things, or they stopped at which point I kept going feet first (enter the flying side kick to the gut image). But it was one of the most dangerous things to do. You ran with the pistol in hand because if he was armed and turned to shoot, only a quick running "off the x" with a return shot would change anything. Many of my injuries were as a result of these.

One time (all cop stories begin with One Time...hence the ghetto name for us "One Time") we chased a rapist for hours off and on. No mutual aid available at that time and each city had proprietary radios. Eventually we lost him and called it...going home dejected. Next day we hear of Day Watch catching a DB call...man in the dumpster near where we were chasing him. Could it be? It sure was. We ran our suspect into the ground (or dumpster) whereupon he hid, and died of a heart attack. Case closed.

My last few years there, the rules for a vehicle pursuit were drastically tightened because of the damage to police vehicles, danger to officers and the public, etc. Plus...few officers were actually good enough at driving at speed. Unless it was a major felony...no chase. I can see a similar motivation behind such a decision regarding foot chases. Bottom line is that you had better learn to take care of your own shit like a gangster because the police will all be minding their own business for the foreseeable future...and that business is getting paid while they search for a job that won't stab them in the back or seek to jail them for doing it.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Foot chase? So me and my 3 backup officers can get in a fist fight with 1 dude who ran like Usain Bolt on PCP while 26 people film us and scream about what racist pigs we are and then we can be charged with a crime by a Low T dickless DA and go to jail and lose my job and pension?

Nope.... That shit can fuck directly off.

Dispatch is gonna here me call that the dude got away..
    Masters in Warfare -- OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

"Fighting (of any kind) is just high level problem solving with dire physical consequences ."
    Joe Rogan

Rabbit trail humor:

A rookie female officer, inadequately-trained and not who you want as back-up in a fistfight, takes off after a banger. He's a tall, lean basketball player. He's going to win the race. For some inexplicable reason, she decides to deploy her baton in the middle of the run. Homeboy immediately does a Superman and dives into a mid-air prone, sliding to a spread-eagle stop in someone else's lawn. After they get him cuffed and stuffed, another officer asks why he stopped; why he just suddenly decided to give up. He says it's because he didn't want to get shot. Apparently he heard the sound of her Asp snapping into place, and thought she was racking a shell into a shotgun.
    Virtute et Armis

At the rate they are going the cops will have their guns locked in their trunks and will have to ask to use them like the Brits.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    At the rate they are going the cops will have their guns locked in their trunks and will have to ask to use them like the Brits.
    I think you nailed it. Cops will be locked up at the station on only released once twitter has decided what they can do.

No more court. Just use instagram fact checkers to decide guilt/innoncense.

Home detention, monitored by Zoom.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20