Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    I honestly can’t believe a mistrial wasn’t declared. Starting with the fact that the city settled with the family for 27mil during jury
    selection, the jury not being sequestered, and Maxine and Biden calling for a guilty verdict. It will be interesting to see how the appeal goes, as well as the trials of the other 3 cops.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    And yet...they have either done the exact same thing...or worked in an area that nothing more than stray dogs and drunk neighbors.
    Yeah dude.... Fuck all of that shit.....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    Harry?
    yep.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Aside from the bunch of different ways the people on the jury could have been intimidated into voting not guilty its also possible they were just bought off considering all the money swirling around this.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

62-10 wrote:

Well...in the end, he knew enough...didn't he? Even left a note.
    That he did. Short, sweet and effective!
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

I already emailed my supervisor and told him that Iím sick and burning my 380 hours of comp time. Iíll be going in tomorrow to put in my retirement paperwork. Iíve been thinking about for pretty much the last year anyway; I have a pretty good gig that has kept me off the radar. Now, itís just not worth it.

And I guess itís time to change my username, because Iím definitely not a Boy Scout anymore.
    VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

Not surprised at the verdict. This is America... We ain’t about justice, we’re about revenge.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

The tragic absurdity of this whole sequence of events is just off the charts. I watched a lot of the trial. The whole problem started when Floyd didn't want to sit in the cop car because he has claustrophobia issues. If he had just sat there, he'd still be alive and Chauvin's life would not be ruined and all the other secondary costs/consequences/trouble that came of this via rioting and so forth would have been missed.

I get that Floyd might have had issues with claustrophobia or whatever, which may have been based on some earlier life trauma. I have attended tons of training put on for the bench and the bar on trauma and adverse childhood experiences, in addition to having taken academic coursework on this, so I get that that stuff is real. But part of having simple, repeatable, and predictable systems in place is to avoid the very sort of variability that lead to Floyd's death. If you are arrested, you sit in the cop car, period. If your medical state precludes that, you sit in the ambulance while cuffed to the gurney. That is a decision tree that is easy for all the folks involved to know, expect, and understand. Expecting individual officers to independently assess each arrestee's individual needs for restraint or containment or soothing or what have you is simply not realistic; it also invites acting out individualized biases (in assessment, in concern, in animus, in sympathy, whatever) in ways that are unlikely to result in a more fair and consistent practices.

The verdict was not a surprise. I don't think it is so much that the jurors were fearful for themselves or bribed or whatever, but instead it was a matter of a prevailing societal sentiment that expects individualized "have it your way" Burger King-style experiences with LE. Are you claustrophobic? Then we shouldn't put you in the cop car. Molested by your dad as a child? Then we should have a female officer pat you down. Angry and in mental crisis? Society has surely let you down at some level and your culpability is surely lessened and we should not shoot you, even if you're about to stab another child like we saw in Columbus yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    The tragic absurdity of this whole sequence of events is just off the charts. I watched a lot of the trial. The whole problem started when Floyd didn't want to sit in the cop car because he has claustrophobia issues. If he had just sat there, he'd still be alive and Chauvin's life would not be ruined and all the other secondary costs/consequences/trouble that came of this via rioting and so forth would have been missed.

I get that Floyd might have had issues with claustrophobia or whatever, which may have been based on some earlier life trauma. I have attended tons of training put on for the bench and the bar on trauma and adverse childhood experiences, in addition to having taken academic coursework on this, so I get that that stuff is real. But part of having simple, repeatable, and predictable systems in place is to avoid the very sort of variability that lead to Floyd's death. If you are arrested, you sit in the cop car, period. If your medical state precludes that, you sit in the ambulance while cuffed to the gurney. That is a decision tree that is easy for all the folks involved to know, expect, and understand. Expecting individual officers to independently assess each arrestee's individual needs for restraint or containment or soothing or what have you is simply not realistic; it also invites acting out individualized biases (in assessment, in concern, in animus, in sympathy, whatever) in ways that are unlikely to result in a more fair and consistent practices.

The verdict was not a surprise. I don't think it is so much that the jurors were fearful for themselves or bribed or whatever, but instead it was a matter of a prevailing societal sentiment that expects individualized "have it your way" Burger King-style experiences with LE. Are you claustrophobic? Then we shouldn't put you in the cop car. Molested by your dad as a child? Then we should have a female officer pat you down. Angry and in mental crisis? Society has surely let you down at some level and your culpability is surely lessened and we should not shoot you, even if you're about to stab another child like we saw in Columbus yesterday.
    You summed it up perfectly. We would not be discussing these so frequently if they would just comply with the officers. That is the identical initial issue in 95% of the situations.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scout View Post
    I already emailed my supervisor and told him that I’m sick and burning my 380 hours of comp time. I’ll be going in tomorrow to put in my retirement paperwork. I’ve been thinking about for pretty much the last year anyway; I have a pretty good gig that has kept me off the radar. Now, it’s just not worth it.

And I guess it’s time to change my username, because I’m definitely not a Boy Scout anymore.
    Gotta keep the avatar, though.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20