Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Re: the composite plates, do these have a “shelf life” and considerations for storage in extreme temperatures (e.g. a car in the summer sun)? I have heavy steel plates because I don’t have to think about that, but if these are light and won’t “expire” in 2 years or something, then I’d like to add a set.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Re: the composite plates, do these have a “shelf life” and considerations for storage in extreme temperatures (e.g. a car in the summer sun)? I have heavy steel plates because I don’t have to think about that, but if these are light and won’t “expire” in 2 years or something, then I’d like to add a set.

In my experience...the expiration dates are so that agencies will buy new vests periodically. Recently at a class we shot one of my old level 3 vests...a twenty year old plus unit. Other than rifle level rounds, 5.7, or 223...things did not penetrate...even 12 ga slugs.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Talking with a manufacturer, most plates will last a lifetime. They just can’t warranty them that long, because they don’t know what kind of abuse they will be subjected to. But under normal use, expect them to last well past the expiration date.
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

Bingo.

NIJ tests confirmed this. All they really have is a warranty date.

-- ML

Thanks guys!
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD
    DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

pre ordered - thanks SI!
    -HBP
    - Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    they can expand a lot, they are sized for the plate not the body. the same carrier will fit everyone in the shop. like i said, if it can fit my fat ass, you're good
    I was looking for the answer to the ‘does it come with front and back plates’ question above. Also, does the carrier itself offer any handgun protection, or is it the plates that do the work? I would like to get the rifle version based on Gabe’s comment, but am wondering if the non-plate material stops handgun rounds. Thanks!

holy shit, plates - plural, yes front AND back

plate carriers are not going to stop anything standalone without a kevlar weave, which you will not find on a standalone carrier, but rather as an add-on soft armor layer

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I really wouldn't advise cutting corners especially with anything meant to save your life...
    IIIA armor is plenty concealable you just have to dress around it. It helps if the carrier is in a none "tactical" color so you can blend it with an undershirt..
    Besides you would be surprised (or maybe not) at how un alert the public is and how much you can get away with..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I might add...HR4568, (Responsible Body Armor Possession Act), was introduced and died in Congress not long ago, (under Trump). I suspect another bill will come up sometime in the future along the lines of 4568 since the Democrats are in power, now. In 4568, if you already have the armor you can keep it. It is already a felony to commit a crime with armor on but they want to take away all forms of self protection. When this was rolling around in Congress is when I bought my 3A vest. Things to think about.

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1140400
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"