Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Good advice.

A few days ago one of my kids asked to sit on my lap during a movie. We were watching it in our cinema room, which has theater seating and more chairs than we have members of our family.

Initially I said "son, we have plenty of chairs, go sit down." I didn't want to sit through an hour-and-a-half movie with a 7 year old on my lap. 7 years is a little old to be sitting on parent's laps, after all.

As he walked away I paused and thought for a moment. He's not going to be young forever, and he won't want to be this close to me forever, and I won't be around forever. I can deal with my legs falling asleep for a bit while I sit closely with my son while I can, and I can afford him the experience and memory of closeness to dad.

I called him back and happily sat with him while we watched "Three Amigos."

In the same vein, yesterday he ran into my office with his airsoft M4 and started talking about emergency / speed reloads in his video games. Instead of shooing him out of my office I decided to take a break and go into the armory and teach and practice real reloads with him. The smile on his face lasted the rest of the night.
    This is great advice even in so-called normal times, whatever the f*ck that is. Too many get caught up in career, money, personal problems, etc. and don't take the time to soak in those precious moments with their kids.

It's like pets. I've had people ask me what kind of "outside dog" or cat to get. I tell them why bother? Just get a statue of a dog or cat and put it in front their house. Even animals need affection and love. The same with kids; some people would be better served pulling some photos from Getty Images and putting them on their FB page and tell the world what great parents they are. Raising kids is not something you put on autopilot.

I had a crappy childhood and lousy home situation -- "Calling Dr. Daniels, Dr. Jack Daniels!" ;) -- and I decided that doing the opposite of what was done to me was the answer. Turned out it was both therapeutic and enlightening. Our son was two months premature and so I ended up spending three years as "Mr. Dad" with him and I loved every minute of it ... though toward the end I looked forward to my new career and some adult conversation. ;) We played with knives, went camping and shooting, learned how to whittle and spit and cuss (and when to not cuss) and all sorts of great things ... in addition to the usual diznee crap and all that. I told him every day I loved him and said that whether he grew up to be a fisherman/bus driver or run that computer company or be a Navy SEAL he would always be my child.

The boy is now a man with three deployments behind him, he's got a fantastic wife who still adores him despite his flaws, makes more money and has a bigger house than his parents, which makes us very happy. He has a reputation as a hard worker, compassion for his troops and co-workers and doesn't take any crap off anybody, especially if it's flung at his team mates or loved ones. He ain't perfect, but I'm proud of him and wonder how the F did that little kid not be as screwed up as me? lol

So yeah, let that kid sit on your lap and teach him the TTPs and weaponcraft and tradecraft every chance you get. Watch cartoons with him and laugh your ass off. Show him/her how to set off fireworks and put a worm on a hook. Play rough and tumble games with him/her, toss'em in the air and let'em climb trees; if they get a bruise or a sprain, show'em how to laugh it off as you take'em to the doc. Life is tough; help them become tougher. Do all this now, not later; before you know it he'll be on his own -- if indeed you raised him right -- and you'll look back with some satisfaction and maybe a bit of nostalgia on a job well done.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Prayers for the family...and thanks for the azimuth check.

Iím going to make a point of this tomorrow with my boys. I head out Friday for an offshore hitch, and a lot of scary shit can happen out there that has nothing to do with commies or crackheads.

This is a great place for keeping things in perspective. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

Thanks Ghost, and prayers out to you and your co-worker’s family.

Be humble of character, warm of heart and kind. You will know when it's time to flip the switch and unleash the beast.

CAUTION: You can't fix stupid.....

God bless that family, God bless all our families. Thanks for sharing, Prayers definitely help and also everyone needs a reminder how important family is and how fragile life can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    The fall out from all this virus crap will be felt for a long long time.
    And thereís very special reservations in hell for all those who had a hand in it.

Praying for this family during this unimaginable time.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Good advice.

A few days ago one of my kids asked to sit on my lap during a movie. We were watching it in our cinema room, which has theater seating and more chairs than we have members of our family.

Initially I said "son, we have plenty of chairs, go sit down." I didn't want to sit through an hour-and-a-half movie with a 7 year old on my lap. 7 years is a little old to be sitting on parent's laps, after all.

As he walked away I paused and thought for a moment. He's not going to be young forever, and he won't want to be this close to me forever, and I won't be around forever. I can deal with my legs falling asleep for a bit while I sit closely with my son while I can, and I can afford him the experience and memory of closeness to dad.

I called him back and happily sat with him while we watched "Three Amigos."

In the same vein, yesterday he ran into my office with his airsoft M4 and started talking about emergency / speed reloads in his video games. Instead of shooing him out of my office I decided to take a break and go into the armory and teach and practice real reloads with him. The smile on his face lasted the rest of the night.
    And his memory of that will last a lifetime....

Family is about all that should really matter.

MEMENTO MORI

That will be my new ink...right under my SWAT flash. Nobody is promised tomorrow. So LIVE today...kiss the girl (spelled with an F, and U, and a couple of other letters), open the expensive bottle, break the stupid fucking rule, teach your kids to be pirates...make memories with them. One day they will smile and tell stories about you...the good times and the crazy things you taught them...that other kids never learned from their docile and obedient fathers.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    MEMENTO MORI

That will be my new ink...right under my SWAT flash. Nobody is promised tomorrow. So LIVE today...kiss the girl (spelled with an F, and U, and a couple of other letters), open the expensive bottle, break the stupid fucking rule, teach your kids to be pirates...make memories with them. One day they will smile and tell stories about you...the good times and the crazy things you taught them...that other kids never learned from their docile and obedient fathers.
    Amen to that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk