Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default In response to the locked thread

I would carry a blackjack or sap before I carried ANY folder that was sold as a fighting blade. Something like a Delica cuts limes and cover charge wrist bands great. Either of those impact weapons break metacarpals, collar bones, etc. I carry a knife for EDC cutting stuff like Wild Turkey wrappers and would add an impact weapon way before a purpose built fighting folder. Sorry if I blew on coals that were meant to be put out...if you watch knife attack footage there is no martial art that teaches a blade specific set of attacks and defense that arenít universal with empty hand. I for one love folkstyle/Greco wrestling for a base and have a budding 13 year old stud I pay a lot of money for elite training. If you can tie up and control an asshole, it really doesnít matter if he has a cocked fist, a beer bottle, or Benchmade 710 in his hand. You tie him up and manhandle his ass. That might mean clinch, head butt and run but there is no mystical hack for clinching and controlling another grown ass man. Timing beats speed and technique beats power

We delved deep into blades back in the early 2000s. What we learned? There is no art to any of this. Ambush and counter ambush. Guys that try to complicate this with minutia are wasting their time.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

As our host, Gabe, has pointed out, he and a body of other knowledgeable and experienced people spent quite a bit of time and effort exploring what real-life knife attacks are and what happens with knives. Mind you, I'm going from memory here, but the sum result was that it comes down to what happens in a prison shanking. There is no finesse. There is no warning. it's sudden and it stab as fast and as often as possible. You aren't going to get a chance to, "If you can tie up and control an asshole, it really doesn’t matter if he has a cocked fist, a beer bottle, or Benchmade 710 in his hand. You tie him up and manhandle his ass." That's not going to happen.

WHAT GUYS WHO HAVE NOT ACTUALLY BEEN IN OR SEEN A KNIFE ATTACK IN THE REAL WORLD THINK A KNIFE FIGHT IS LIKE

(SORRY...THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS OR THE FUCKING EASTER BUNNY EITHER)

WHAT A REAL KNIFE ATTACK LOOKS LIKE...EVEN IF THE FIRST COUPLE ARE FROM MOVIES AND TV

Gabriel Suarez

Yep. Sometimes people need a reminder of what "hard and fast" really means.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I worked in the LA County Jail for two years before going out on the street. Then, after a few street patrol years worked Gangs...and investigated lots of gang murders...many done via stabbing. And mind you these are people that are soldiers. They are far more martial and capable than the average fat guy on the range with his custom blaster in his size 50 belt. They looked at themselves as soldiers...and lived a life of danger and paying attention was paramount. And they skill got taken. Why? Because nobody will be attentive 100% of the time...and even if they are...can be distracted by something or someone.

So here is the secret. No matter how hard to make yourself...if somebody really wants you, they will study you and then take action on you. And your split times and draw speed...or score on the Bill Drill won't matter for shit. What will matter?

1). Being strong. Strong people are harder to kill...simple as that.
    2). Having nature's body armor (muscle). And yeah...there are parts without muscle and those are what I would target.
    3). Being able to explode into action at the first hint of an attack. Whether with a deflecting flinch or a movement off the spot of attack.
    4). Be able to go to guns and start shooting first, fast and continuously at the first confirmation of the attack.

That is it. Expecting death threats and challenges to death duels soon.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    What will matter?

1). Being strong. Strong people are harder to kill...simple as that.
    2). Having nature's body armor (muscle). And yeah...there are parts without muscle and those are what I would target.
    3). Being able to explode into action at the first hint of an attack. Whether with a deflecting flinch or a movement off the spot of attack.
    4). Be able to go to guns and start shooting first, fast and continuously at the first confirmation of the attack.
    YES
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ....Because nobody will be attentive 100% of the time...and even if they are...can be distracted by something or someone.
    Exactly!
    This is my answer to the color code of the awareness crowd who just don't understand because they've never lived in a tough neighborhood, never been sucker punched or even worse, rat packed. Shit happens.
    Last edited by Cacti Rat; 03-24-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    As our host, Gabe, has pointed out, he and a body of other knowledgeable and experienced people spent quite a bit of time and effort exploring what real-life knife attacks are and what happens with knives. Mind you, I'm going from memory here, but the sum result was that it comes down to what happens in a prison shanking. There is no finesse. There is no warning. it's sudden and it stab as fast and as often as possible. You aren't going to get a chance to, "If you can tie up and control an asshole, it really doesn’t matter if he has a cocked fist, a beer bottle, or Benchmade 710 in his hand. You tie him up and manhandle his ass." That's not going to happen.

Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by twinboysdad View Post
    I would carry a blackjack or sap before I carried ANY folder that was sold as a fighting blade. Something like a Delica cuts limes and cover charge wrist bands great. Either of those impact weapons break metacarpals, collar bones, etc. I carry a knife for EDC cutting stuff like Wild Turkey wrappers and would add an impact weapon way before a purpose built fighting folder. Sorry if I blew on coals that were meant to be put out...if you watch knife attack footage there is no martial art that teaches a blade specific set of attacks and defense that aren’t universal with empty hand. I for one love folkstyle/Greco wrestling for a base and have a budding 13 year old stud I pay a lot of money for elite training. If you can tie up and control an asshole, it really doesn’t matter if he has a cocked fist, a beer bottle, or Benchmade 710 in his hand. You tie him up and manhandle his ass. That might mean clinch, head butt and run but there is no mystical hack for clinching and controlling another grown ass man. Timing beats speed and technique beats power
    Thanks for mentioning the Benchmade 710.