Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Modern knife systems?

What are the modern systems worth studying? MBC, Libre, piper....?

Last edited by Knowledge; 03-19-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Wrong Post
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

I'm a big believer in the angry monkey with a nail system.

Gabe putout a couple of good videos years ago. Die Less Often and Big folders

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRidder View Post
    I'm a big believer in the angry monkey with a nail system.

Gabe putout a couple of good videos years ago. Die Less Often and Big folders
    Anger works, but anger with technique is even better.

Had a training partner who was much bigger than me and was knowledgeable in street fighting. We both followed the Sotis Amok system for a while. I myself, couldn't embrace it as most of his students do. Amok teaches a lot of blocks, sparing techniques along with some disarms. In our edged weapon Force on Force training, blocks and disarms alone don't work well enough to be practical, especially when addressing a strong, healthy dedicated assailant.

To answer your question, I found the Amok system blocks very useful, but only when integrated with other empty hand fighting skills.

Glock seems to work pretty well.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Grab the bad guy and stab the shit out of him.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Shogunater View Post
    What are the modern systems worth studying? MBC, Libre, piper....?
    Janich (MBC) has been teaching biomechanical targeting in one form or another for a while, but it fails the dedicated attacker test.

1. Study Filipino Martial Arts, but like with anything, don't be a follower when outside the dojo. Train on your own as well.

Most "modern systems" are repackaged FMA, and the majority of the rest are based on WWII Combatives.

2. Get videos from various knife systems and train with them and see if they work. Get a training partner and spar. I don't recommend following any of the "knife gurus." Instead I advocate learning from them, but if they do something you can tell is stupid, don't automatically believe that you should do it. Maybe they have a reason to do it, but practice that technique with a resisting opponent to see if it works. One major problem I see in martial arts, whether it is traditional or modern, is people blindly following their instructor.

3. Use knives. Cook your own food, cut things, and actually get experience cutting with knives.

4. Maybe take fencing. A fencing thrust can be done with a knife and even many people with knife training won't easily deal with the speed of such a thrust.

5. Realize that some systems are optimized for certain blades and won't always translate well to others. A pocketknife, a dagger, and a Bowie are very different and not everything that works well with one will work with another.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Cacti Rat View Post
    Janich (MBC) has been teaching biomechanical targeting in one form or another for a while, but it fails the dedicated attacker test.
    Agreed. I think it is decent stuff to know and even practice, but the ability to simply stab hard, fast, and repeatedly is more important.

On a related note, I recently taught a virtual seminar on using the Heretic. Of course a lot of material is specific to the Heretic, but a lot of it can be applied to knives, big or small. There was a lot of emphasis in the seminar on how/what to practice, and all of that is applicable to knives and will make you better at fighting with them.

I am loading a series of videos from the seminar material to YouTube and will announce when it’s done. These vids are private and will only be shared with those who have purchased them.

Edited to add...+1 to everything Benjamin said. Good post.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas