Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don’t care, I would even use a galil if I had to.... Mosin nagant... They are just tools...
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    On a related side note. If you want the best pump action for icy conditions, the Ithaca is the one to get. If you are out in the lousy weather that is Northeastern hunting season it's not uncommon for some snow or freezing rain to get on your shotgun, drip then freeze onto the bolt. That's an issue. The Ithaca doesn't have an ejection port on the side of the action, it's on the bottom. The 37 and its variants are prized for that reason by those who hunt those conditions.

There's ways of keeping sleet and freezing rain out of your Wingmaster, but the Ithaca is the best choice for sitting in a blind in that mess.

I figured since we're talking ice and guns, someone reading this might want to know this detail.

The Ithaca ejects out of the bottom right. Means no ejection port since it uses the loading port port for ejection. if gun is held in the normal position there does not seem to be anyway for precipitation to enter except maybe for where the action bars enter the receiver that should be minimal.
    Ice, mud, or dust is best keep out of any gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ARIZONA....more concerned with dust and sand. I have no intentions of EVER living n a frozen waste land. That said...If God cursed me and I was forced to live in Siberia and wear mittens...I'd leave my M4s and Glocks at home and grab the Suchka...and the SIG P226
    Jefe, may I ask why the Sig vs. the Glock for cold weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstore Commando View Post
    Jefe, may I ask why the Sig vs. the Glock for cold weather?
    Trigger guard large enough for gloved fingers? DA allows dropping the gun into a deep outside pocket?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

The manual safety would be an asset on the Sig due to loss of tactile feeling from gloves in cold weather.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    The manual safety would be an asset on the Sig due to loss of tactile feeling from gloves in cold weather.
    Years ago I nearly missed a deer after sitting in a deer stand for hours without the right clothing. A two lbs trigger does have it liabilities. If I had not been using a sling, I would have missed that deer. Gun went off before I wanted it too and I was not using gloves.

You can also loose tactile feeling from having cold hands. lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    On a related side note. If you want the best pump action for icy conditions, the Ithaca is the one to get. If you are out in the lousy weather that is Northeastern hunting season it's not uncommon for some snow or freezing rain to get on your shotgun, drip then freeze onto the bolt. That's an issue. The Ithaca doesn't have an ejection port on the side of the action, it's on the bottom. The 37 and its variants are prized for that reason by those who hunt those conditions.

There's ways of keeping sleet and freezing rain out of your Wingmaster, but the Ithaca is the best choice for sitting in a blind in that mess.

I figured since we're talking ice and guns, someone reading this might want to know this detail.
    Grew up carrying a M37 12 ga. Dad got it for me in 1969 when I was 12 and we lived in ND. Never an issue in any weather, ND, IL, WV, MI, TX, AR, or VA.

We were taught to always carry it muzzle down. Not at the ground, but downwards, to keep rain/snow/sleet out of the barrel.

Does it take a little more effort to be conscious of the muzzle/angle/direction, etc.? Sure. Worth it for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The Ithaca ejects out of the bottom right. Means no ejection port since it uses the loading port port for ejection. if gun is held in the normal position there does not seem to be anyway for precipitation to enter except maybe for where the action bars enter the receiver that should be minimal.
    Ice, mud, or dust is best keep out of any gun.

Exactly