Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Noveske Flaming Pig & Others

I have a couple of AR pistols from SI...one of their original White Oak models and a new Commando. I also have a 300 BLk and a 6.5 Grendel. I have a suppressor which is great for dealing with flash, blast and noise from these shorties, but I'm wondering about getting a couple of the Flaming Pig type gadgets for the guns that aren't wearing the big can.

Does anybody have any experience and opinions on these gadgets? I shot with the Flaming Pig a few years back but don't know how it compares with anything else out there. I'm open to input on pros and cons of these things and whether or not they're worth using at all. If they are good to have, which is the best one?
    Last edited by DogDoc; 05-07-2021 at 06:46 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I run a Pig on my 11.5" 5.56 AR pistol & although I'm unable to shoot it at night I have done it late in the evening & get little to no flash from the end of it. (someone directly downrange might be able to see it, I'm not sure) Another benefit is it directs all the blast & noise forward. Helps your ears & anyone to the sides of you.
    It works similar to the old "beer can" muzzle devices (albeit without the backpressure I believe) that I have on my 8" Bulgarian slr-104 & my 10" Yugo M92. I'm sure someone here with more knowledge than I can assist you better.
    Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
    be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
    an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

I had a Midwest Industries Blast Diverter on a 10.5 inch 5.56. It reduced noise and blast from the shooter’s side a good bit better than an A2 flash hider, but still pretty loud.

I have a ferfrans blast diverter for my 6.5. I like it because it fits on multiple comps/flash hiders. It is noticeable in eliminating the concussion you feel indoors and out. The sound level is a bit less. The recoil a touch more. It also works well if you are laying and it doesn't cause dust to fly everywhere.

The downside is its heavy and clunky.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We've got a couple pistols. One 8.5" and one 10.5" (barrels). The 8.5" has an older Noveske Pig on it. Shooting it is, for me, about the same as shooting a magnum revolver (.357). We talked about it after our first range trip because I'd heard so much about how loud/concussive the muzzle blast is from a short .223 barrel. Neither my wife nor I felt the short .223's were any harder on us than the .357 Speed Six.

I asked a couple a little ways down the range if they thought our AR pistols were "loud" and they said they thought so. Okay, maybe 10 or 12 feet away left/right they are loud. Right behind them they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody C View Post
    The downside is its heavy and clunky.
    I'll piggyback on this. I have minimal experience with these things, but the little bit of experience that I do have indicates that the weight is unavoidable in this design. I shot the same gun with a Flaming Pig, which is solid steel, and with a competing model that was either aluminum or titanium. The difference between the two was stark. The lightweight model was garbage. If you go this route, don't try to shave ounces; just accept that there is a weight penalty.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I'll piggyback on this. I have minimal experience with these things, but the little bit of experience that I do have indicates that the weight is unavoidable in this design. I shot the same gun with a Flaming Pig, which is solid steel, and with a competing model that was either aluminum or titanium. The difference between the two was stark. The lightweight model was garbage. If you go this route, don't try to shave ounces; just accept that there is a weight penalty.
    Totally agree. I think mine is just short of a pound, but you need that construction for its intended purpose.

I figure that at cqb range that blast and flash mostly going towards who I'm trying to shoot will add to the chaos and I won't notice the weight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have the AAC blast diverter on a 11.5 6.8SPC pistol build...It does throw some noise more down range but its still loud as hell.

Gabe, when are you going to get your SI wizards to start making one of these so I know which one to buy? LOL
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

IVE GOT ONE ON MY SHORTY AR. WE ALSO PUT ONE ON A GLOCK TODAY

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI