Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Default Giving up resisting the J Frame

Ok, I've been beat down. I want one. What is considered the best new model out there? The only revolver I own is a 357 single action vaquero because by God I live in West Texas. I'm seeing the merits of a J Frame. Please help a novice. Much appreciated.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

I would consider the S&W M&P 340. It’s more expensive than the 442/642 but the sights and longer cylinder make it simply outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I would consider the S&W M&P 340. It’s more expensive than the 442/642 but the sights and longer cylinder make it simply outstanding.
    Thank you Jonathan.

One is definitely on my bucket list too!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I will agree with Jonathan (no, we are not the same person...only share a lot of the same DNA). The S&W 340 M&P is probably the pinnacle of the J-frame. It is a buy once, cry once experience as it is $300 more than a simple 442 or 642. However, there are definitely reasons to go with the 357 Magnum length cylinder, even if you will only ever shoot 38 special through it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNobody View Post
    I will agree with Jonathan (no, we are not the same person...only share a lot of the same DNA). The S&W 340 M&P is probably the pinnacle of the J-frame. It is a buy once, cry once experience as it is $300 more than a simple 442 or 642. However, there are definitely reasons to go with the 357 Magnum length cylinder, even if you will only ever shoot 38 special through it.
    Thanks Chris. Appreciate you guys. You made the decision easy. Now I will have to learn how to use it after I get it.

I'm not very good with model numbers, they just don't stick in my head (and I'm traveling right now and don't have any Jframes with me). But Jonathan and Chris have already covered that.

I mentioned on the other thread, if you get one J-frame it should be with the shrouded hammer. For J-frame applications, it's useful in more circumstances. There's no hammer to snag on clothes during a draw, no hammer to foul when pressing the trigger while the gun is in a jacket pocket.

There are new models that come without the internal lock. These are a better choice if you can find them, the trigger is better out of the box. I have had some internal lock guns modified to disable the lock and improve the trigger, but they still aren't as good as no-lock guns.

I still like exposed hammer J-frames for certain things. They aren't ideal for pocket carry, but I think they are a decent choice for the ankle. But I'd prioritize a shrouded hammer model.

EDITED TO ADD: As I understand, the internal lock guns are more difficult for gun smiths to work on and improve the trigger. I'm not sure what exactly makes it different but they just aren't the same even when they've been improved.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 06-17-2021 at 02:47 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I'm not very good with model numbers, they just don't stick in my head (and I'm traveling right now and don't have any Jframes with me). But Jonathan and Chris have already covered that.

I mentioned on the other thread, if you get one J-frame it should be with the shrouded hammer. For J-frame applications, it's useful in more circumstances. There's no hammer to snag on clothes during a draw, no hammer to foul when pressing the trigger while the gun is in a jacket pocket.

There are new models that come without the internal lock. These are a better choice if you can find them, the trigger is better out of the box. I have had some internal lock guns modified to disable the lock and improve the trigger, but they still aren't as good as no-lock guns.

I still like exposed hammer J-frames for certain things. They aren't ideal for pocket carry, but I think they are a decent choice for the ankle. But I'd prioritize a shrouded hammer model.
    Thank you Brent.

KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR YOU GUYS FOR M&P 340'S AS WELL AS THE 340 PD'S, EVERYTHING IS STILL SCARCE RIGHT NOW, SO UNLESS PAYNE HAS SOME IN HIS SHOP HE WANTS TO LET GO OF, IT'LL BE A WAIT

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

What the M&P 340 gives is pretty impressive, but not free. Hereís what Iíve capitalized on since carrying one daily for I think about two years:
    • Excellent, high visibility day/night sights with tritium and white outline
    • Two part, sleeved barrel with perfect cylinder gap and tension
    • Concealed, internal hammer allowing very high hold
    • No lock
    • .357 Magnum-length cylinder precludes binding if low-weight bullets work loose during recoil (.38 Special +P)
    • Ability to shoot .357 Magnum if desired
    • Revolver built and advertised for unlimited .357 Magnum and .38 Special +P - this means something when one wears out a 442
    • Excellent trigger

Yes, it costs more than a 442, but nice things cost money. Also, the scandium body and barrel shroud, combined with the PVD-coated stainless cylinder, means it wonít rust and is truly a NPE-ready asset.

Just buy one.

Actually, buy one and take the J-Frame class from SI thatíll hopefully materialize this Fall. Iíve heard Jon Payneís work in this area is legendary.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 06-17-2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling