Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Combat clothing of a 13th Century Teutonic Knight

Interesting seeing how complicated it was for a knight or man at arms to get dressed for combat in the 13th century.

This is my armor kit based on what a Teutonic Knight may have looked like during the year 1300. Recent additions include tailored sleeves, maille chausses, padded hose, arming girdle, wool mantle, and a closed gambeson. I still have a couple improvements to make but I think as a whole it looks good for the time being. Comment, subscribe, and thanks for watching!
    The Teutonic Order was formed to aid Christians on their pilgrimages to the Holy Land and to establish hospitals. Its members have commonly been known as the Teutonic Knights, having a small voluntary and mercenary military membership, serving as a crusading military order for the protection of Christians in the Holy Land and the Baltics during the Middle Ages.

That is quite the elaborate outfit to don; I imagine it to be quickly a sauna suit when in battle or just in the heat of summer. The padding comes in handy when struck by edged objects, I am sure (the chain-maille, too).
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    That is quite the elaborate outfit to don; I imagine it to be quickly a sauna suit when in battle or just in the heat of summer. The padding comes in handy when struck by edged objects, I am sure (the chain-maille, too).
    I was wondering how they made out in the middle east during summer. For fighting in the Russian winter it might be good idea.
    Here is scene from the Russian propaganda movie Alexander Nevsky giving their version of the battle of Ice against to the Teutonic Knights.

sort of like old school plate backers

Lots of work in to making it.... And putting it on.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

No socks, I'm sure his feet were ripe at the end of a hot day.
    Fuck Sniffy and Blowy. Never my president

13th Century Germanic Europe......No cotton fabrics.......WOOL year round.
    Many are able, few are willing .

Dirty is exactly why you are here.

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School ,Mar 6-8-2020,Orange Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by NV28 View Post
    13th Century Germanic Europe......No cotton fabrics.......WOOL year round.

They had linen I assume.
    Did Knights and other medieval period people wear socks?

3 Answers
    Susanna Viljanen , works at Aalto University
    Answered 3 years ago Author has 6.8K answers and 78.4M answer views

Yes. Both men and women would wear long socks (or rather stockings) called "hosen" (singular "hose"). The hosen of women would be knee-length, while the hosen of the men would be attached to their underpants, braies.
    People of cold climates would wear short woollen socks over their hosen and in their shoes to add warmth. [They do so even today.]
    Cotton did exist, but it was expensive and was usually woven in with other fibers such as flax etc.
    Medieval Clothing and Fabrics in the Middle Ages
    Link: https://www.thoughtco.com/medieval-c...abrics-1788613

I used to do some re-enacting and SCA heavy combat fighting (two very different things, but both involve getting suited head to toe in heavy padding and metal). I can confirm after an hour in the summer heat, all that padding under the actual armor gets HOT and stifling. Staying hydrated is paramount.

There’s no way around it... medieval armor is miserable to wear. Not because it’s constraining.... it’s not at all if it’s properly fitted to you. But because its like being wrapped in a blanket in the heat of summer, while engaged in hard physical activity (fighting).
    - I am not in danger. I AM the danger.

- Keep your rifle by your side.

Urination would seem to be very problematic

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22