Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have some interest in #1, but all I have actually seen for sale was Federal Flite Control, which I have no interest in. In my testing, flight control did not open up until roughly 25 yards. If I want something that behaves like a slug, then I will just use slugs. I WANT a pattern that opens in a reasonable and consistent pattern at close range.

I can see the flight control stuff in niche applications but that gets too niche for my purposes.

If it has a stock, I use 00.

If it’s a PGO, I generally use #4. PGOs benefit from lower recoil. 00 isn’t better if it’s harder to shoot. I do have some low recoil 00 that isn’t bad, but #4 is still faster, easier and more comfortable to shoot. At the ranges I anticipate using a PGO, #4 is going to be just fine for bad guys. That it is less likely to do damage to unintended targets is not a bad thing.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

My main appeal to the shotgun is that it launches really big, soft, lead freight trains. Or it can launch buckshot. A shotgun is the only commonly available shoulder fired weapon which can do massive trauma to both lungs, as well as the heart, with 1 trigger pull when aiming COM, frontal, across a large livingroom, of which I am aware. It's just a traumatic beast of a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I have some interest in #1, but all I have actually seen for sale was Federal Flite Control, which I have no interest in. In my testing, flight control did not open up until roughly 25 yards. If I want something that behaves like a slug, then I will just use slugs. I WANT a pattern that opens in a reasonable and consistent pattern at close range.

I can see the flight control stuff in niche applications but that gets too niche for my purposes.

If it has a stock, I use 00.

If it’s a PGO, I generally use #4. PGOs benefit from lower recoil. 00 isn’t better if it’s harder to shoot. I do have some low recoil 00 that isn’t bad, but #4 is still faster, easier and more comfortable to shoot. At the ranges I anticipate using a PGO, #4 is going to be just fine for bad guys. That it is less likely to do damage to unintended targets is not a bad thing.
    I found #1 FC to be kindof wonky. Sometimes it was a slug, sometimes it opened up pretty darn soon. This, all through a CYL bore. It's out of production, though, probably permanently, so kindof a non-issue regarding encountering any. Federal did have a "Personal Defense" loading of I believe, 34 buffered, copper plated #4 buck pellets in a 2.75" shell at 1100fps. Yes, she thump!

When polyshok went out of business, we turned to #4 disintegrating buckshot for breaching/ anti personnel loads during entries. #4 has its place for sure.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

My dad has found other brands of #1 that he uses in his car shotgun and the home gun. I'll have to ask him what brand he bought. Problem is, it was hard to find even before SG ammo got scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    My dad has found other brands of #1 that he uses in his car shotgun and the home gun. I'll have to ask him what brand he bought. Problem is, it was hard to find even before SG ammo got scarce.
    Winchester and Remington sold some, I believe. Like you say, rare.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO View Post
    Winchester and Remington sold some, I believe. Like you say, rare.
    I think he had Winchester, now that you mention that.

One thing to think about...a 2 3/4" shell of 00 buck holds about 9 pellets. 3" holds about 15 pellets, and 3 1/2" holds about 18 pellets. Depending on where you plan on using the gun for protection helps in determining shell size. Using all 3 1/2" shells also reduces how many you can get in the gun's magazine.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"