Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    I finally saw the light regarding the importance of crowning a couple of decades ago. I have a vintage High Standard Sport King with a spare gun show purchased bull barrel I had threaded for my old Form 1 suppressor. I was vexed because it wasn't very accurate, which I laid blame on the can. Gave it to a gunsmith to mount a picatinny rail, he crowned the barrel for me and accuracy went from "meh" to amazing. From a rest I can hit stationary clay pigeons at 100 yards with just a red dot. The pistol is kinda heavy, as is the can (a converted C-cell Maglite), but it's handier and as useful as a rimfire rifle.
    A brief thread detour:

hush.jpg
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    A brief thread detour:

hush.jpg
    Yes. That is my spirit animal. I got to shoot one of these in Uncle Sugar's Army CID lab back in 1974 when it was still at Fort Gordon. I was going to MP Investigator School and got a day pass when I aced a test and they said "Whattya wanna do?" and I said, "Can I visit the firearms lab?"

Mine isn't so sophisticated, did the Form 1 can in 87. I've gone on to more refined things since, but it keeps on keeping on, still quiet after who knows how many thousands of rounds. Still got the original tapered barrel, too. And you cannot beat a 1960s High Standard rimfire pistol trigger.

2011-09-05 19.07.45.jpg

And now we return to our regularly scheduled program .....
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I'm kind of a fan of the 2A Armament light ARs. We had one as a rental gun at the range and it held up pretty well and id very light and accurate. I think they use Faxon barrels and Faxon has a good selection or .308 barrels.

Rifle Barrels - AR-10 (LR-308) - .308 Winchester - Faxon Firearms

2A makes a lightweight AR-10 size receiver set. They call it the Xanthos and they make it light by milling off all the aluminum they can.

Xanthos-Lite Receiver Set (2a-arms.com)

I like the 150 SMK, as well as the 155 Palma, but they are impossible to get right now. I loaded a couple hundred flat based 125 Hornady bullets, but I have not had the chance to clock them yet. They ought to hit pretty hard. I will test them out to 300 when we get the new range set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    I have a vintage High Standard Sport King with a spare gun show purchased bull barrel I had threaded for my old Form 1 suppressor. I was vexed because it wasn't very accurate, which I laid blame on the can. Gave it to a gunsmith to mount a picatinny rail, he crowned the barrel for me and accuracy went from "meh" to amazing.
    I recently had a lady from church bring a bunch of guns over so that I could clean them for her. They were her deceased husbandís, so she didnít know what to do with them. Among the guns she brought over, one was a Sport King. In addition to giving it a good coat of oil, I admonished her to make sure she keeps that gun in the family....or sell it to me, if thatís impossible. It wasnít totally mint, but it was excellent. Those are some fun guns.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I recently had a lady from church bring a bunch of guns over so that I could clean them for her. They were her deceased husband’s, so she didn’t know what to do with them. Among the guns she brought over, one was a Sport King. In addition to giving it a good coat of oil, I admonished her to make sure she keeps that gun in the family....or sell it to me, if that’s impossible. It wasn’t totally mint, but it was excellent. Those are some fun guns.
    Besides being just an awesome rimfire pistol, the Sport King's barrel is quick detach. Simple matter of switching between the short tapered barrel (and use the iron sights) or the bull with the suppressor and optic. I've been putting off getting a 2x pistol scope, which would turn it into mini rimfire sniper. Hope you get your mitts on it. ;)
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."