Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I been reading this thread and wracking my brain for an excuse to say, "Rule 303!" Very nice. In fact, I'd say that rifle is far from impracticable. It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but short of going to war, I would say that could suffice for most anything I'd every want to do with a rifle. Given I don't hunt big bears and within the ranges I would ever take a shot on game, the .303 with modern loads and bullets is more than adequate for everything from a buck to a Buick. Ask a Canadian moose if you doubt it.

I've never owned or fired a Lee-Enfield pattern rifle, but I've heard that the safety can have issues and it's best to carry them chamber empty?
    Breakfast cereal is just dog food for people
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!"

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    I been reading this thread and wracking my brain for an excuse to say, "Rule 303!" Very nice. In fact, I'd say that rifle is far from impracticable. It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but short of going to war, I would say that could suffice for most anything I'd every want to do with a rifle. Given I don't hunt big bears and within the ranges I would ever take a shot on game, the .303 with modern loads and bullets is more than adequate for everything from a buck to a Buick. Ask a Canadian moose if you doubt it.

I've never owned or fired a Lee-Enfield pattern rifle, but I've heard that the safety can have issues and it's best to carry them chamber empty?

If one includes canada, africa, and Asia I say that the .303 has killed more game than any other round except possibly the 7.62x39 and that mainly for africa. I would bet in the Canadian north it has killed more bears than any other round. If you can shoot it will work well for bears.
    Where it falls short is its trajectory having a lower velocity than some other common rounds.
    If you reload you can get it up to 7.62x51 velocity. it is about 200 fps slower than published factory 30-06 loads.
    Test barrel length: 24
    Source(s): Accurate Powder[1]
    Bullet mass/type Velocity Energy
    150 gr (10 g) SP 844 m/s (2,770 ft/s) 3,463 J (2,554 ft⋅lbf)
    174 gr (11 g) HPBT 761 m/s (2,500 ft/s) 3,265 J (2,408 ft⋅lbf)
    180 gr (12 g) SP 783 m/s (2,570 ft/s) 3,574 J (2,636 ft⋅lbf)

Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Or the Garand. For some reason they were not able to achieve consistent reliable function with BAR mags and the M1. Even a 10 rounder with a stripper clip guide, like the M14, would have been an improvement over the en bloc 8 rounder.
    Thatís not entirely what the issue was... John Garandís original design was for a rifle with a detachable magazine. It was MacArthur who dictated that it had to have an internal magazine that was flush with the body. The enbloc clips were a design compromise due to this dictate.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post

The .303 was widely used by British hunters in Africa to take big game up to and including elephants. I would say it’s more than capable for anything. As for the safety issue, I’ve never heard that and outside of a thrashed Savage manufactured LE I used to have that had a flat out broken safety I’ve never seen a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    The Brits also had a technique for shooting that fast. The index finger and thumb never lost contact with the bolt handle during cycling and they used their middle finger to fire the weapon during the mad minute.
    Thats what I mean by mechanically faster... The design of the straight pull doesnít lend itself to fast firing in the same way because you have to fully remove your hand from the trigger and use your whole hand to manipulate the boot.

I believe there is a place in every man's arsenal for a rugged bolt action rifle such as an K98 Mauser, an Enfield, Nagant, or something similar. Basic, rugged, and reliable has a lot to offer when things "go South".

I've got an 03A4 I bought back in 1978 or 79. I used to take it deer hunting and plinking. Busting milk jugs of water (gallon jugs) at 500 yds. was fun. Three out of five was the average.

180 grain Sierra Match Kings sitting on top of IMR4350 with Federal BR primers. Knocked a crow ass over ears one day at 600 yds. (one ridge to another across a big hollow, we say holler). Didn't kill it, just had if flopping all around in the weeds where they'd been feeding. It did finally manage to get airborne and fly up into a tree after awhile. I'll never know if I grazed it or hit close enough to throw a bullet fragment or a piece of rock into it and stun it. I'd have had that sucker mounted even though it was a long walk from where I was down to the creek and back up the other side of the far mountain.

Good memories. I've shot it once in the last 35 years, or so. I didn't remember it kicking that hard but after 20 rounds I was ready to quit.

Some of those old rifles are just run to shoot. And they pack a wallop on both ends.

Forgot to mention, when it did light in the tree I took another shot at it and clean missed it that time. It just lifted up and glided away down over the hill side. At 600 yds. on a crow, I'd take a lucky shot.
    Last edited by M1A's r Best; 12-21-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Shooter76, beautiful repro. I'm a big fan of the No4 Mk1.

How are the chamber dimensions on that criterion barrel? Originals were cut generously in the chamber for reliability, which hurts if you want to reload the brass. If the new one has a tight chamber, mine might just get a new barrel.

That gun is far from irrelevant, in the right hands it could do a lot.....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Very nice rifle. Looking forward to the range report when you get around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!