Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the line between Ballsy and Stupid?

I'm interested in opinions.

Going down to see the riot while armed with rifle... stupid

Protecting statue... stupid

Protecting LE or MIL memorial... probably not going. I'm sure my dead brothers would want me to stay alive & out of prison.

Going down to "help my brothers in arms defend downtown against trucked-in rioters" ...i think it depends on area. Cesspool areas, not going.. my hometown of less than 25k.. probably going as long as my home front is safe.

Hired or protecting family or good friends lifeblood business...Probably going to go if asked, but not solo.

In my neighborhood... on the roof with belt fed & laser protective goggles or maybe sneaky pete with suppressed .22

Bottom line is I'm curious where everyone sits on when to get involved. Many are saying "how long are we going to take this?" and then when someone does take the fight to the rioters, they are deemed tactically stupid or looking for trouble.
    God may look out for children and fools, but He favors the prepared.

The line between ballsy and stupid? Duty.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

I avoid saying this but, it depends. I'm not defending downtown stores or statues. Am I defending myself, my home, wife, puppy, absolutely. Attack me in my car, I will run you down, try to drag me from my car, I will shoot you. I guess the word is 'mission' .

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    The line between ballsy and stupid? Duty.
    As this thing escalates...desperation.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jsavik View Post
    In my neighborhood.. sneaky pete with suppressed .22
    I'm still working out in my head how close something has to be in order to qualify as "my neighborhood."
    Virtute et Armis

I'm not so sure going to protests, demonstrations, and riots are really "ballsy," especially for those the media sides with.

Most people expect nothing bad to happen to them, and that if there is violence, it would be like on an action movie where only the enemy will get injured or killed.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

A lot of the time it is the same as the line between have to and want to.

What is it that Greg says?
    "There is a fine line between hard and retard"
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I'm still working out in my head how close something has to be in order to qualify as "my neighborhood."
    The same here. As, I've not lived in a neighborhood for approximately 48 years.
    I've mostly resided in a rural community.
    For demographics the only Biden sign I've seen closest to my AO was set on a right of way on some property belonging to the sewage treatment plant.
    Not all but most are stereotypical southern conservative socially if not politically.
    Of course if might entice some idiot jackass Pantifa punks to do something stupid in rural America....oh please...but I'd have to take a number and wait in line.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd63 View Post
    The same here. As, I've not lived in a neighborhood for approximately 48 years.
    I've mostly resided in a rural community.
    For demographics the only Biden sign I've seen closest to my AO was set on a right of way on some property belonging to the sewage treatment plant.
    Not all but most are stereotypical southern conservative socially if not politically.
    Of course if might entice some idiot jackass Pantifa punks to do something stupid in rural America....oh please...but I'd have to take a number and wait in line.
    My neighbourhood begins and ends at my property line. Anything . Home invasion begins when you come through my gate uninvited and in a threatening manner, or climb over my fence. That's just the way I see it.