Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    All though, I do like this thing..... may need to get a 300bo pistol upper..... hmmmm.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I have just enter the AR15 world with one 6.5 g and the other in 7.62x39.

The major downside for me with the 7.62x39 with excombloc ammo is that I had to increased the force of the firing pin strike to gain reliable ignition. The added extrapower hammer spring has increased my trigger pull, but the gun is now 100% with the enhanced firing pin.
    Preliminary sighting it in shows it to more accurate than are my AKs. I am going to have to set up sand bags to see just how accurate it is. I have a lot of ak steel cased ammo. Once I have proved the gun out a little more I may get some better quality ammo for it.
    I had to increase my buffer wt and also buy a new buffer as the previous one which was a surplus part itself destroyed due to the added tungsten wts I added to it. Needed wt because the gun was over gassed.

ya a 762x39 is a non-starter in an AR platform.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I like my M1a scout.

Is it heavy? Yes, but that's why I lift weights.
    Is it modern? No, but it's a .308 and has a certain cool factor that I enjoy, (this might be most important factor while discussing this)
    Is it reliable? It has never so much as hiccuped in class or while hunting.
    Is it accurate? You've probably fired higher dollar M1s than I have so I think you know the answer.

Final answer, M1a because it's cool, I like the history behind it, and it get's "Ooohs and Ahhhs" whenever people see it. And since I know you have all your other bases covered, why the heck not?
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

IDPS, DOK, TMCO, FVGF, CPM, CRM, SCPIS, TASI

TWOTU Since May 2015

Attachment 56867

This is the ONLY Semi-auto 30 caliber rifle I have any interest in today. I am certain somebody will tell me I am wrong, but I don't care. It is ten times the rifle any AK is, ballistically, accuracy, and reliability. And it will kill anything I want to kill that an AK will kill. PTRs and FALs...sorry...I see them in the same light as I see the old 1950s restored cars on the road. You take a second look...think how cool it would be to drive one, and then blow them off your ass as you step on the gas of your modern vehicle.

308? I see the role of this in a bolt gun.
    I want one of those for sure and plan to get one or two.

Based on thirty years experience owning, shooting and going into the field with the rifles you listed in the OP, I'll wade in:

The FAL is like a classic car. The best thing about it is its reliability - second only to the G3/91. Accuracy is adequate. It's not easy to further improve the accuracy due to the design. Surplus parts are almost gone and there is only one manufacturer of new rifles, parts and accessories. PASS.

The G3/91 is like a classic German car. The essence of reliability. Accuracy is adequate and can be improved to a point - again the design is limiting. Surplus parts are available for now but, are getting more expensive. Only one manufacturer currently makes new rifles. PASS.

If you can get your Maadi back, why not? Even as an occasional shooter and training tool it would be worth it. While I still have my AKs, I wouldn't recommend them for anyone who wants more than a basic rifle.

The M1A is a great choice for a GP/DMR - with some caveats. VERY accurate with the right ammo. Very reliable. Decent selection of accessories and mags. Spares are getting harder to find. Multiple manufacturers but, do your homework.

The AR10 is getting better all the time - stick with the DPMS/SR25 pattern. Avoid barrels less than 18" . It's the easy button. Most are very accurate and average on the reliability scale. Multiple manufacturers but not everything is interoperable - more homework!

I've recently gotten back into 556 AR and have come back to this potential purchase point again. For precision I have my 700 in 308. For the GP/ DMR role, I still have my Saiga 308 GSRs - they fulfill the role well and I couldn't replace them for what I have in them.

But, I want something else in .30 and that's what it's all about!
    From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away; you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear. Havamal 38

NRA Certified Instructor, Glock Certified Armorer, Gunsmith, Veteran.

If I were going to do it over again, I'd really consider something that's in current manufacture, supported by more than 1 company. G3 would be at the bottom of the list, but Troy and MI both make optics and rails for them. That G3A4/Para model is still hot. All the tier 1 AR manufacturers have started supporting an AR10 platform. You could save the $ until Desert Tech either fixes the MDR or goes BK.

Don't buy a FAL. You've got one company in the states that supports them, and it's plagued by shit QC on their good days. IF I was going to buy a FAL again, I'd either find a SAR 48 or 4800, buy the accessories, draw up a list of things to do, send it to Arizona Response Systems and forget about it for 3-9 months. I love my FAL, It makes me smile. I can knock down a whole plate rack in 1 shot, if you like winning at bullet golf. However:

1) Drop in triggers that are worth shit don't exist, you're trimming springs, polishing and praying if you want something lighter/crisper.
    2) Handguard options are slim. AIM has one thats OK, VLTOR CASV is the gold standard. Not sure its been in production for a while, has a ton of built in QD swivels which keeps weight down.
    3) You need to either order or build to get a Pictany FSB to mount modern iron sights on. Factory sights are extremely low profile and if you're using a railed top cover, if you're going thumb over you will block the sights. CASV in theory won't twist at the GB (bolt through it) but it could deflect some if thats acceptable. DSA sells a pictany rail section that goes where the rear sight is.
    4) Mag release & BHO are both extremely small, there's a cottage industry of modified or new production replacements that IMO are worth it. Think small tab to HK sized paddle. Inch selector is nice too.

If you want to modernize it, you're paying DSA for Mako engineering and Geissele pricing.

AL
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

94 Timber Scout 2.jpg

Screw box fed. Screw semiauto.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Greg,

One thing I haven't looked into yet is how finicky the AR10 is with ammo. For example the M14 needs to stay with in a pressure envelope in order to not bend op rods. So that takes some of the higher end hunting ammo and such off the table and not a big deal. The AR10 shouldn't have that problem.

If the Urban Sniper Pistol is something you are considering then its just more reason why you need to consider .300 blk. x51 really needs a longer barrel to be worth while other wise all you get is more flash and noise for basically the same ballistic performance. I think an Urban Sniper Pistol in anything other then .300 blk is pointless due to barrel lengths.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Attachment 56867

This is the ONLY Semi-auto 30 caliber rifle I have any interest in today. I am certain somebody will tell me I am wrong, but I don't care. It is ten times the rifle any AK is, ballistically, accuracy, and reliability. And it will kill anything I want to kill that an AK will kill. PTRs and FALs...sorry...I see them in the same light as I see the old 1950s restored cars on the road. You take a second look...think how cool it would be to drive one, and then blow them off your ass as you step on the gas of your modern vehicle.

308? I see the role of this in a bolt gun.
    What mount do you have on that for your flashlight? Perfect position.

When I get into .300 BO it will be *exactly* like that.

Nevertheless, I want an M1A. Not so much for any practical reason; I just like them.