Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    you might be able to find a 556R pistol.
    I've lusted after one of those for a while and would take one for the above mentioned reasons for the AK. Down side is they don't produce it any more and it doesn't fill the envelope I'm looking to fill. It's a thought tho.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    Get a 300 HAMR.

Simply because we need more calibers. Same bolt, same magazines, all you need is a barrel. Far more manly than the 300 BO or any of the other boutique calibers that are introduced every odd numbered month...
    Nope. In a fighting rifle I only consider common calibers.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I have a 16” POF 308 I’d sell you. I actually bought it for the scope it was wearing and it’s surplus to my needs. Previous owner apparently thought it was an ultra long range precision rifle and had a big ‘ol scope on it that I wanted. I have a couple of other AR10s already so don’t need it.

6.5 Grendel has a lot to offer as well. Ammo is easy enough to find these days.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Who are you fighting? What's your typical expected threat and range?
    Whomever. I'm not a gun collector, I don't have a safe full of stuff I don't shoot, train with, or teach on. I just don't. a few years ago I consolidated down to 5.56 and got rid of every other caliber in an "assault rifle" platform, now I'm wanting to add one that will fit the envelope listed in the OP and I won't do uncommon calibers, my reasoning is varied and requires 0 justification on my part. No means no Speed, #Metoo
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

I've had my M1A since 1978. Used to shoot it a lot.
    I've had a FAL. I liked it, too. Gave it to my youngest son, finally.

A couple years ago I bought a DPMS GII. The Recon model. When you first look at it, you think it's an AR15, till you notice the larger magazine well. Heavier than an AR15, for sure, but still handy. I've changed a bunch of stuff on mine (no good reason but I wanted it different) and it just keeps working. Changed gas block, gas tube, stock, buffer, spring, free float tube, pistol grip, etc.

A lot of AR15 parts fit it (designed that way). Mine uses PMags just fine. I've bought/used 20's and 25's and either one works (just can't fit the 25's into the standard mag. pouches.)

If I was going to buy another .308, it would be another GII. So far I've only shot SA surplus in it. No match grade ammo, yet.

No one's asking for justification, just the mission, which is always the first step. You are quite capable of figuring this out for yourself. Surprised that you asked in the first place.

#freeHarveyWeinstein
    I am but really considering 308, which I've only had experience with in a belt fed or a bolt action. I have a pretty good idea where I'm going to end up but occasionally when I seek input someone will bring up something I hadn't thought of or approach it from a perspective I hadn't considered.

The common caliber thing is my own standing rule to organize my own stable. 5.56 mags only have 5.56 in them, 30 rounders are 55gr, 20s are 77gr, even if I get them confused the worst thing that will happen is my zero is mildly off. I considered 6.8 so I could use the same mags and lower but I don't like that idea.

With 308 I can get boatloads of x51 mil surp on the cheap and tons of great quality ammo I can get anywhere, add to that reticules that are specifically designed for 308 and accurate ballistic charts. Like Glock, it's proven and prolific.

Add to that the urban sniper pistol we've been talking about could use the same ammo so I can feed more than 1 weapon system from the same stockpile

#Alwaysroomforjello
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 12-03-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

20160123_171046.jpg

This is the ONLY Semi-auto 30 caliber rifle I have any interest in today. I am certain somebody will tell me I am wrong, but I don't care. It is ten times the rifle any AK is, ballistically, accuracy, and reliability. And it will kill anything I want to kill that an AK will kill. PTRs and FALs...sorry...I see them in the same light as I see the old 1950s restored cars on the road. You take a second look...think how cool it would be to drive one, and then blow them off your ass as you step on the gas of your modern vehicle.

308? I see the role of this in a bolt gun.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I am but really considering 308, which I've only had experience with in a belt fed or a bolt action.

With 308 I can get boatloads of x51 mil surp on the cheap and tons of great quality ammo I can get anywhere, add to that reticules that are specifically designed for 308 and accurate ballistic charts. Like Glock, it's proven and prolific.

Add to that the urban sniper pistol we've been talking about could use the same ammo so I can feed more than 1 weapon system from the same stockpile

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

This is the ONLY Semi-auto 30 caliber rifle I have any interest in today. I am certain somebody will tell me I am wrong, but I don't care. It is ten times the rifle any AK is, ballistically, accuracy, and reliability. And it will kill anything I want to kill that an AK will kill.

308? I see the role of this in a bolt gun.
    No disagreement here boss. I really like that heater but the AK-esque envelope I have covered as well as I feel I need to, the conversation of the bolt action pistol is what revived the wants for a box fed, semi-auto, 308
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Sounds good to me. I still don't know what the terrain and threat is for your area though. Objectively, I find myself with less than a 300 meter LOS for anywhere I would realistically tote a rifle and be able to quickly ID a threat. I had the perception, or perhaps more likely, misperception that you lived in more of an open country environment where longer range shots might be more likely.
    I tend to think in effectiveness envelopes rather than niches when considering platforms and roles of any weapon. I will be writing an article on niches later this week so I won't get to deep with that. I live in Chandler AZ currently.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Very good, I look forward to reading it. Now, it's time for Deadlift Day!
    Did mine at lunch, I did it fasted 1830 - 1300
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual