Hybrid View

Default Feeling the itch for a dirty 30 (30 cal.)

Kind of getting the itch for 30 cal again (7.62x39/51), but can't even settle on a platform to work with. So far I've been considering the following:

Back into the 7.62 AK
    16/18" AR .308
    M1A Scout Squad
    HK Pattern battle rifle
    FAL

Right now I'm leaning to the AR as the rest of my stable is AR so the manual of arms would be the same, but M1As are so sexy and the AK is so universal (and I'm very familiar with the platform). I'm not settled on anything here yet other than I am not looking for a "sniper" set up but more of a GPR/DMR as my stable is missing something for envelopes between my 18" super recce 5.56 and my 7mm rem mag bolt gun.

so let's hear it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

No .300 blk? I would. Choose that before 7.62x39. Better platform then an AK and waaaaayy more ammo choices as well as quallity ammo choices.

I love my m14. I would go that route, cause I did, get a Sadlak mount and put whatever optic you want. Mine is a Springfield "loaded" that will put rounds 168s in an eyeball sized group at 300 yards.

I have been wondering about AR 10s but haven't looked too deep in them yet. They have somethings to offer.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    No .300 blk? I would. Choose that before 7.62x39. Better platform then an AK and waaaaayy more ammo choices as well as quallity ammo choices.
    I haven't gotten into the .300 BO because I haven't gotten into the suppressor market yet and may never do it so I've avoided it as a caliber selection.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

A simple build from Aero Precision topped with a mid-range optic filled that niche for me.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    A simple build from Aero Precision topped with a mid-range optic filled that niche for me.
    When Jon showed me this rifle, I didn't immediately recognize it as an AR10. The Aero M5 is light and sleek enough that it can almost pass for an AR15.

I recently built an 18" 5.56 as a precision/DMR/SPR rifle, and pretty quickly determined that it isn't worth the added weight. The heavy barrel, UBR stock, and big glass make it a very specialized gun. It loses the nimbleness that an AR15 should have. My hope had been to have a precision gun that could be pressed into service for CQB if necessary. Ultimately, though, I would rather have my SCAR 17 for CQB than the 18" 5.56.

The SCAR 17 has a compromise of its own. I like the gun very much overall, but I would like it better if it had two more inches of barrel. 18" is a good compromise barrel length for a .308. 16" is a little too short; 20" starts to feel long. Mags are heavy but otherwise perfect. The side-folding stock allows it to pack down much smaller than competing rifles. Maintenance is a breeze.

If I were building a .30 today, it would be an Aero M5 with an 18" .308 barrel. It's almost as light as a 16" AR15. It sacrifices some maneuverability for vastly extended range. (This gun should be a 1000y competitor. The SCAR, with a 16" barrel, falls off at 900y.) Mags are cheap and plentiful. You have full discretion on parts, so you can build it exactly to your tastes.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    When Jon showed me this rifle, I didn't immediately recognize it as an AR10. The Aero M5 is light and sleek enough that it can almost pass for an AR15.

I recently built an 18" 5.56 as a precision/DMR/SPR rifle, and pretty quickly determined that it isn't worth the added weight. The heavy barrel, UBR stock, and big glass make it a very specialized gun. It loses the nimbleness that an AR15 should have. My hope had been to have a precision gun that could be pressed into service for CQB if necessary. Ultimately, though, I would rather have my SCAR 17 for CQB than the 18" 5.56.

There are a couple of techniques that make this easier but all in all, CQB with a full sized rifle sucks. This is why my 18" is a dedicated DMR/GPR field gun with a 1-6x optic

The SCAR 17 has a compromise of its own. I like the gun very much overall, but I would like it better if it had two more inches of barrel. 18" is a good compromise barrel length for a .308. 16" is a little too short; 20" starts to feel long. Mags are heavy but otherwise perfect. The side-folding stock allows it to pack down much smaller than competing rifles. Maintenance is a breeze.

If I were building a .30 today, it would be an Aero M5 with an 18" .308 barrel. It's almost as light as a 16" AR15. It sacrifices some maneuverability for vastly extended range. (This gun should be a 1000y competitor. The SCAR, with a 16" barrel, falls off at 900y.) Mags are cheap and plentiful. You have full discretion on parts, so you can build it exactly to your tastes.

This is the way and reason I'm leaning towards, my 18" 5.56 Recce runs out at around 700 for an absolute max even with the heavier projectile and my 7mm rem mag is a 12-1400m gun so I feel like I have a gap between the two for the 500-1000 envelope
    bold
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I haven't gotten into the .300 BO because I haven't gotten into the suppressor market yet and may never do it so I've avoided it as a caliber selection.
    I don't have any cans but dumped x39 for .300. Its better in every way except for cheap craptastic ammo. You really should consider it. If not, I will sell you my Sig 556r gen 2 that I haven't shot in years since I got my first .300 blk.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I don't have any cans but dumped x39 for .300. Its better in every way except for cheap craptastic ammo. You really should consider it. If not, I will sell you my Sig 556r gen 2 that I haven't shot in years since I got my first .300 blk.
    I had one that I got rid of when I dumped x39 about 5-6 years ago. I was considering getting my Madi AK back but it's not filling the envelope that the x51 would so nostalgia and proclivity world wide are the only 2 real motivators on this one.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

PTR with a welded rail . Equal to anything produced today - accuracy wise , just not as light as some . Cheap mags , modularity , cool as hell , and $1000 .

If you can still find one, the MK4 1.5-5x optic offered 90% of the MK6 performance at 40% of the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Virtute et Armis