Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    When I'm training (which I admit has been pretty intense for the last few months) I do my best to get 8. I make every attempt to keep a routine even on weekends. Gym around 1530-1700+, Start cooking my solid protein at 2000, and have it eaten by 2100, bed at or just after 2200, up at 0615.

When I'm not training at a high level I get hit with insomnia quite a bit and will only get 4-5 a night.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

In bed by 8:30-9:00 during the week and up by 4:00-4:30 most days. On weekends I might go wild ad stay up watching Netflix until 1100 but not usually. Every few months I'll go through a period of relative insomnia where I'm wide awake bu 2:00 and I'm convinced this is do to hormone fluctuations as I get older.
    Fuck Sniffy and Blowy. Never my president

With lots of callouts and over a decade of night shift I find I have to be in bed before 1030. if I stay u past 1130 by body "shifts gears" into night work and it is hell to find sleep.

I have to rotate what I take when I get hit with the stare at the ceiling bomb... melatonin, Benadryl, Nyquil, and Jack/Jim/Johnny(which ever is living in the house ta the time).. if I use too much of any it stops working... and I need to be able to get called out and shift back into that gear...

A good workout helps a ton like the old Japanize proverb about balance, when the mind in tired then tire the body, when the body is tried then tire the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by M1A's r Best View Post
    I'm 60. On a normal night, we go to bed around 930 to 1000 PM. I usually wake up one or more times each night with a shoulder hurting and have to roll over to the other side, but sometimes not.
    Similar story here with a great deal of shoulder pain on both sides. Lower back too most mornings. Then I left my mattress and box spring and moved to a hammock. Huge difference. Nice, long hours of sleep and morning stretches are now rejuvenating instead of rehab agony. Hammocks with a spreader bar are death on a rope, probably designed by our enemies to weaken us - stick with Brazilian or Mayan designs.

I've always had a wanked up sleep schedule, from being a military cop, an overnight truck driver and a college student in my first decade or so of adult life. My mental engine would get running late at night, and I couldn't sleep, I'd be so wired. Note that I never drank coffee and only occasionally drank alcohol. It was common for me to stay up past one a.m. or later and still get up the next day as needed. Like many here, I could nap at the drop of a hat, in the back of a hummer or UH-60 or in the shade of a rock. Late to bed, I'd prefer to sleep in on weekends, but I was always able to get up and function at o-dark-thirty if necessary, no problem.

I always have and still do believe in naps, be they fifteen minutes or an hour or so. I remember an interview with the writer Jerzy Kosinski (Being There is one of the great political satires of our time) who was a nap devotee. He treasured the multiple waking experiences he got each day from a sporadic sleeping schedule. I totally got what he said. I did a ton of writing at night in college and would nap between classes. If it wasn't for my wife I'd still have trouble with my sleep cycle; leave it to the fairer sex to civilize the beast.

Fast forward to the present ... I'm now eligible for Social Security, a little older and maybe a bit wiser. If you're having trouble sleeping or think you're sleepin' and have trouble staying awake or feeling tired all the time, I strongly suggest getting a sleep study done. The VA does them all the time and funds everything, or so i'm told. I have great healthcare through my former job, so I went that route instead. I was told by a few of my former army mates (some of whom are what i call "professional beneficiaries") that the VA pays out nicely if you have service-related sleep apnea. I dunno ... I never made any claims on any of that stuff. Call me stupid, but I've seen waaaay too much fraud and not enough guys getting what they really need. But that's another topic for another day.

Anywho, about twelve or so years ago I was stressing out at work, feeling exhausted all the time, and a variety of other things. Plus I couldn't drive more than ten, twenty minutes without dozing off. The snoring pushed my wife off the edge; she'd hear me stop breathing, then she'd lie awake waiting for me to take a breath. Did the sleep study, found out I was waking up a hundred times an hour -- which I didn't know was possible -- and thus not getting any REM (or deep) sleep.

I hate that fucking CPAP machine, but it works wonders. Actually, I have two: my original, which is about the same size and weight as a 5.56 ammo can on its side. It probably saved my marriage, but it was a pain in the ass do travel with. My newest one, a much smaller lightweight piece, travels easily and is very quiet. I now get more quality sleep in less time, though I do indulge in the occasional ten o'clock bedtimes.

Like I said, I hate the CPAPs and don't like being dependent on them, but they do work. After I came out of the closet at work, I found out all sorts of guys use them, other soldiers, firefighters, young guys, old guys, fat guys and any guys. I hear some women use them, too, but don't know of any. The main thing is that they help me sleep; and after all, it's all about me, right?
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Shannon Hogan is offline Suarez International Affiliate - Salt Lake City
    Too many old injuries follow me to bed as I was a high milage soldier with expired warranty. So sleep periods very depending on how much I hurt that night. I'm researching mattresses. Any recommendations? I'm staying away from narcs and NSAIDS. Been using different strains of Kratom with good results.
    Shannon
    fulminis instar "Like thunderbolts, fast as lightning."
    Hogan Clan motto.

I have suffered from insomnia for 6+ years, but have just begun to sleep with a weighted blanket on me. It has greatly helped me fall asleep, stay asleep and sleep more peacefully.

It holds the sleeper down and very still, like when a parent holds their baby as the baby falls asleep. This stifles involuntary or even voluntary movements. I think psychologically it also tells the brain to be still, as well as the body.

They come in various weights. At first, the one I have was a bit too heavy, actually. When I put it entirely on top of me, I felt suffocated. So I just put half of it over me, or just a diagonal edge of it, and it worked great.

Within a few days, I had adjusted to it and now (usually) sleep well with the entire blanket on me.

I wake at about 4a-4:30a every day and hit the gym or do reading (rest day); to bed between 8p-9p. Low-carb dinner between 6p-7p. Melatonin before bed, along with a protein shake. I started sleeping better shortly after beginning testosterone optimization in October 2020. Otherwise, plenty of paratrooper aches and pains haunt my nights (not so much anymore).
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

In bed by 10:00 - 10:30 almost every night. No problem dropping off. Since prostate surgery in October I'll get in 1.5 - 2.5 hours before needing to get up. I hope that gets better with time as I regain better control. Back to sleep quickly most of the time. A little prayer time if I'm having trouble dropping off again seems to help, too, and doesn't hurt in its own right. The alarm goes off at 5:30 every morning to exercise before breakfast and work. BTW, I'm 60.

I worked my last patrol shift in November of 2019 and my warranty ran out in June of 2020, so I pulled the plug after I turned 66, about five months short of my planned separation date.

Until quite recently I woke routinely without an alarm at 0400 daily. No real change in when I go to sleep, usually around midnight, and less incentive to do so because I know I won't be suiting up in the morning. As the strength has returned I've been working out in some fashion every day, unbroken since 12/31, and it's made a noticeable improvement in the quality of sleep. So has the absence of shoulder pain.

No sleep aids taken, no alcohol, and I stopped using the CPAP after about six months because it woke me repeatedly. Considering whether I should try again, opt for the mask this time.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20