Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switching Glock to Left Handed Mag Release?

Any of the lefties here switch their gen4's mag release so they do mag changes easier? I know just about everything can be overcome with practice and training, but curious as to others thoughts, opinions, and experience. As of now I have never tried it and have run several CRG courses just fine with my G19 set up for right handed. Its something I have been kicking around for a few weeks and was thinking of giving it a go.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

For what it's worth, I'm a righty that shoots an XD (ambi mag release) and I use my ring finger on my right hand to eject the mag. I actually prefer it because I don't have to shift my grip or anything, but I know it's not the best for me mentally.

What I SHOULD do is use my right thumb or left ring finger for mag drops, depending on what hand I'm using. That way no matter what pistol I'm using I can work it fine. I've picked up standard Glocks and been momentarily dismayed that my right ring finger won't drop the mag.

I would leave your pistol as-is so there is no muscle-confusion between guns...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

"I would leave your pistol as-is so there is no muscle-confusion between guns..."

This is the correct answer! Mine operates the same as any other I happen across!

SD
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I've been left handed for 69 years and see no advantage to changing the button to the other side. Just say'n!

I think the bigger question is, how do you lefties hit the slide release?

I don't rely on it often (same reasons as above), but when I need to when left handed it presents a problem.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

Nope. I do just fine using my F.U. finger to hit the release.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Stevek,

Don't change it. I tried for a while on my M&P. Actually found, it slowed me down. Hitting with the pointer finger is the best way. If issues with it,can do an extended release.

Delta Cadet,

Slide stop lever, not unless absolutely have to for 1 handed shooting. It's a gamer thing. She's a dirty ho, that will give you a gift you dont want at the most inopportune time.

It isn't that much slower, when using two hands to grip and rip the slide. Same as all these speed reloads I see posted online.

Those things tend to cause issues when we run them force on force with UTM.

I'd stick with strip mag as going to new mag, insert new mag over top and rip.Best way to take out the empty Magazine and ensure positive load of chamber on new mag

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kamp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Instructor
    UTM Master Instructor Training Provider and Independent Dealer
    Kamp's Suarez International Training Schedule
    (and no, unfortunately it isn't the summer camp for our kids we all want to send them to)
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook
    Twitter: @pacifictactical

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere."
    Morihei Ueshiba

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy Hasenkamp View Post
    Slide stop lever, not unless absolutely have to for 1 handed shooting. It's a gamer thing. She's a dirty ho, that will give you a gift you dont want at the most inopportune time.
    Absolutely true. I have a problem with the slide not locking to the rear on the last shot. Like you say, can't rely on it. But it is annoying when you can't reach it, I'll try with my middle finger soon.

The XD slide catch is pretty large, about the size of an enlarged Glock one. Its been a problem when carrying, I wish it was smaller.

The slide not locking to rear is a most likely that your thumb is resting on the slide stop lever. It could also be an issue of weak magazine spring or followers. Mark mags and see if consistently happens with same mag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kamp
    Suarez International Tier 1 Instructor
    UTM Master Instructor Training Provider and Independent Dealer
    Kamp's Suarez International Training Schedule
    (and no, unfortunately it isn't the summer camp for our kids we all want to send them to)
    Pacific Tactical Website
    Facebook
    Twitter: @pacifictactical

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere."
    Morihei Ueshiba

I have 4 Glocks - all lefties. It takes a couple of minutes to change the release. Glock makes a tool - looks like a curved screw driver but any small screw driver will work. It takes a couple of tries to get under the spring but it's not rocket science.
    As far as the slide release - rack the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk