Default AAR CRG-2 Lubbock, TX April 12-13, 2014

I wanted to get this thread started so anybody that attended could post their AAR. I am extremely happy with how this course came together. Thank you to Jon Payne for coming 10 hours to Lubbock to teach us. Thank you to everyone that attended. I will post my observations and lessons learned soon. Feel free to post away.
    "Sometimes A Teacher; Always A Student"

Retired from teaching for the time being.

Jon is a tier one instructor and the class was a pleasure to be a part of. I'll gladly attend a course instructed by Jon again.

Jess - Thanks for your hard work that made this weekend a success. Maybe a force on force or 0-5 feet for the next one, hint hint.

More to follow later.
    40FIVER

When life knocks you to your knees, pray while you're there.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

First of all, I want to thank Suarez International for allowing me to host this class. Thank you to Jon Payne for traveling so far bring this material to west Texas. Finally, a big thanks to all of you that signed up and attended. We wouldn’t have had this class if it weren’t for you signing up.

So the meat and potatoes of this AAR. We started on the morning of Saturday, April 12th with a review of the fundamentals with, shooting at various distances. We learned that small mistakes with fundamentals up close were more noticeable the further area we got from the target. Seeing those allowed us to tighten up our fundamentals and bring our groups in tighter.

We covered shooting from different points in the draw stroke from point shooting, shooting using alternative aiming techniques and sighted fire. I loved this part because I saw that I could get solid hits on target without having to bring the gun to full extension. This really came to light when we started to incorporate moving off the “X” to 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock. It was also applicable to shooting when retention became an issue as the assailant closed the distance.

Jon taught the class how to clear malfunctions using immediate action drills. We learned to clear malfunctions such as an empty chamber, fail to fire, failure to eject and feed stoppages with tap, rack, flip technique. If that didn’t fix the problem we learned to unload, rack, reload, rack and get the gun back into the fight. I liked the way this was taught. Jon had us (students) in pairs and had one student take our pistol and create a malfunction. Without us knowing the malfunction, the shooting student had to come to the line, engage the enemy and clear the malfunction.

We learned how to walk and shoot. Priority one is to move, then get your gun out. Eventually, we were moving as we simultaneously drew the weapon and shot the bad guy. We moved laterally to the 3’o clock positions and the 9 o’clock positions.

We learned to employ the failure to stop with a burst to the chest and a burst to the face. We applied that same failure to stop as we moved.

We closed out the class on Sunday with the extreme close quarters shooting.

This is not an all-inclusive list of everything that we learned. This post will be much longer if I went into too much more detail. I’m sure the other students will fill in the blanks.

The weather was hot, windy and dusty. No matter, every body’s attitude and enthusiasm to train was awesome. You couldn’t have asked for a better group of people. I was happy to be a part of this.

I sure wish I woulda known about this class earlier, that would be worth scheduling some vacation time for sure. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for future dates now.
    "I think if you don't have the immediate means, at all times, to defend your life with deadly force you're nothing but a victim in training" Bob Mayne

"Every day you leave the house may be your day to excel. Don't leave your test taking materials at home" Gabe Suarez

"Speaking from a medical perspective I can tell you that when it comes to knife wounds; MORE IS BETTER." Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by West Texas View Post
    I sure wish I woulda known about this class earlier, that would be worth scheduling some vacation time for sure. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for future dates now.
    It, for sure, won't be the last.

Everyone was dialed in and worked hard. The response to CRG-2 was awesome to say the least. Will also say this was my first class to teach in Lubbock TX. Jess Karren, my host really did an outstanding job. The only things I needed were my lesson plans and targets. Jess took care of everything else. If you've ever thought of hosting a Suarez International course get with Jess. He was on his A game. Did I mention this course sold out? This is my sixth in a row to sell out; a new personal best!
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.

Ya'll think I was kidding, huh?

This class was definitely worth the 5.5 hour drive for me. Jess did a spectacular job of hosting this event, and I was glad to see SI again in West Texas! As he wrote a very efficient AAR above I will second, and add the following:

First and foremost, would like to thank Jess Karren and Jon Payne for making this sold-out class happen!

This is the third time I've taken the CRG-2 level class, and it always fails to disappoint. SI and their instructors do a great job of introducing new material and different tactics, but all within the familiar envelope that makes SI unique. I corrected some of my bad habits and was able to glean nuggets of wisdom from Jon's interaction with other students.

One of the best aspects of SI is quality of instructors. Jon made each student feel welcome, and made patient corrections and reprimands where needed. I've witnessed "other organization's" instructors berate and shout down students to the point of intimidation. Not so with SI- all I have ever seen are calm "teaching moments" that enrich the whole class experience. Anybody having the opportunity to train with Jon Payne should do so without reservation.

Overall the students were attentive and ready to be pushed. I dare say, fairly sure some converts were made on the dust-blown South Plains. Hoping to see SI back in West Texas soon (this one sold out, right?)- the drive wasn't that bad....

Be humble of character, warm of heart and kind. You will know when it's time to flip the switch and unleash the beast.

CAUTION: You can't fix stupid.....

Ryan_MLT09 Guest
    The CRG-2 class this last weekend at "41 Lead Farm" in Lubbock was a blast. Met a bunch of great folks from all over the region and beyond. Jon Payne provided top-notch skills instruction, and Jess Karren did a great job setting up the entire event and assisting with the instruction of the class. Very professional! I will definitely be taking another class. Thanks guys!

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm." - Ephesians 6:13

I'd like to start by saying thank you to both Jon for making my first SI experience a great one, and quickly follow that by giving Jess Karren his due for putting this all together. I am sure I will be keeping my eyes open to hopefully get another training session in before the end of the year. I was very impressed by not only the level of instruction, but also the way in which Jon dealt with any problems, as has been stated previously he was nothing but professional in his methods of correction. I was able to learn a lot of new skills and hopefully break some bad habits I had picked up from lack of general instruction. I look forward to another experience with SI. Thank you guys again for a great weekend.