Thumbs up Defensive Pistol Skills with R. Keith Hoffman 4 & 5 April, 2013 in Ft. Collins

Absolutely outstanding class. I realized a few years ago that while marksmanship and understanding your weapons is a good thing, it isn't enough to keep you alive in a fight. Having searched around I finally settled on WarriorTalk as the community that seemed to offer non-judgmental, well-thought-out, and realistic discussion of fighting and surviving rather than training for some sport or based on technique that basically froze over 30 years ago. I haven't been disappointed in that so I was looking forward to my first SI class with pretty high expectations. Keith and Wayne met or exceeded all of them.

Great Guns is my "home" range and the facility and staff are why I drive an hour to a range. It being a weekday we had the place largely to ourselves and everything we needed for the class.

Even the basic stuff on the first day was great as it took much I knew from elsewhere and put it in the context of the fight and going home. Everything was about fighting and surviving rather than rote force feeding of some set of drills. Keith & Wayne were always open to questions, comments (and in Keith's case, death threats ) and were able to explain "why?" to anything in the class. Great knowledge and and wonderful, open and respectful approach. It made it very easy to learn and master the skills presented.

Dinner at Texas Road House Thursday night was great with lots of wide-ranging discussion and great company.

Day two started with a great warm up and moved quickly to application-oriented shooting skills. Both Keith & Wayne made a point or pushing each of us out of our comfort zone while being available and patient with any issues we found when we went there. Again, this made it very easy to progress and learn very fast. I was amazed at how fast I improved and how my existing skills were leveraged into new skills and more foundations to really build on. By the last string of fire of the day we were all pumped.

Thanks to Keith & Wayne for great instruction. I know I asked a *lot* of questions and you both took it stride and helped my learn. I have a long way to go to get where I think I need to be but you've both helped me off to a great start. Thanks very much!

Thanks too to my fellow students. What a fantastic group of people. It was great to learn along with you and from you as well as we went through the class. I couldn't have asked for better classmates.

As with most things, taking this class, while building more skills in less time than I thought possible, has also shown me how far I have to go. I'm looking forward to June when CQB & PSP are scheduled for Colorado. (I can see that this training may be habit forming!)
    Last edited by SARGeek; 04-05-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: My lousy spelling

SAR, glad it turned out well and you found the training above what you were looking for, that has also been my experience. Not only is class great but the get together in the evening is also.

One thing I've found with any SI instructor I've taken a class with is they DO NOT lack knowledge.
    Bill

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    -Henry Ford

It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. (reinman45)

MO, I agree completely. I see much more SI training in my future. What we did this week was fantastic but it also showed me how much more I have to learn.

I am still having the connotations of what we learned come together as I think about the class and start building a new dry-fire and range drill schedule. It's almost like Easter eggs that hatch later as you think more about what was in the class. The class itself is a bit like drinking through a fire hose and I'm glad I was as familiar with guns in general and had the discussions I've read on WT going in as it really helped, but I am still working out the ramifications of what we learned and that is really neat as it's like still learning even after the class.

One example was that I realized this afternoon that I look at my carry gun totally differently now. I am planning on some Trijicon HD night sights on this one and looking at what I will want to upgrade to later down the road after I work the re-arranged budget (getting all the soon to be banned stuff our commie legislature is outlawing has bumped the budget around a bit). But my views as to what I need are very different today than they were last weekend.

One note for those yet to attend an SI class (paying it forward since MO XD shared the same advice with me prior to the class ): The most valuable thing you bring to an SI class won't be in your range bag. It will be your willingness to learn and try what they teach you as hard as you can as if you never knew anything about the topic before. As most on WT know, the slaying of sacred cows is a favorite SI passtime and what you learned elsewhere may not be the same. But steak of sacred cow tastes pretty good when it's flavored with the knowledge that you stand a much better chance in a bad place after the class than you ever did prior to it.

So glad to meet you folks and train with you. This was a motivated class and consequently we got through the material quickly but thoroughly. One of the greatest things about learning is finding out how little you know. Also learning not only what to do, but what NOT to do. Looking forward to training with you all again very soon.

Keith, thanks for the direction and guidance on your class I enjoyed working with you and look forward to future events.