Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wow John, I sure like that watch the guy is wearing in that last pic.

Okay, where to start. Great class, one of the best I have attended in fact. Before I get into talking about the class itself, there are a couple of things I would like to say. I continue to be impressed by both the students and Instructors at SI. What a group of guys. As someone mentioned there were all levels and ages of students represented, but the common thread was their determination and willingness to work. This was a hard class, but I didn't hear any whining, just a lot of can do attitude. Great job guys.

Randy and John, wow! I have had a lot of classes with Randy, and know that he is a great shooter and teacher. I didn't know how complete his grasp of this material was, or how well he could do it himself. He floored me with his wide and encyclopediac knowledge of this material. That along with his desire to make sure each student truely got it was great. A couple of years ago John McCreery and I were in an AMOK! class together. He was no slouch then, but to say that he has taken his job as a SI knife instructor seriously would be an understatement. If you are in a position to take a knife class from John, do it. I plan on bringing him to Indiana for one as soon as this fall.

The class, this won't be a blow by blow account of the class. There are some of those already, plus there is Chris Upchurch's epic about a recent class. I used to think that our FOF (Interactive Gunfighting) class may be our most revealing offering. While I still think that to be a highly important class, this 0-5 ft class is a crucible. It will test you, you may fail, and then you will figure out an answer. I said above it is a tough class. That is not just because it is physically hard, but also because you have to set aside a little bit of your ego to get the learning effect. Just like in FOF, you need to be a good training partner, but you also have to be able to push that partner hard enough to test him, yet not destroy him. I think everyone did a pretty good job of that. I know John and Ryan and Chip did for me.

What was the toughest part for me? That is easy. The groundfighting. While there were some very accomplished ground fighters at the class, I was not one of them. I am not afraid to admit this is my weak spot. I have years of TMA, but none of them involved groundwork. Though it was not good for my ego, it was good for my warrior quest. No, I won't be getting in line to roll with a BJJ Black Belt, but I did learn enough to really help out. For example, I know I can throw a 6'3" 250 poundish guy off of me while on my back, even giving him a little air. (Thanks Jeff) I also feel much better about being able to tie someone up long enough to access a weapon if need be. Even though I don't like it, I wil be doing more of this.

Guys, look closely at Mike's watch. We will be doing a special edition Flava Flav SI watch. Flava is selling us all of his old clocks and we will be putting wrist bands on them. Thanks for the great idea Mike!
    www.ohioppt.com
    Twitter @Ohioppt

Great to read all the recaps and see the pictures from another incredible weekend of SI training! Mike, you can count me in if you bring this class back to your area next year. Hats off to all of you for all your hard work!
    Close Range Gunfighting - 9/17,18/2011
    Defensive Knife - 3/24,25/2012
    Point Shooting Progressions - 4/21,22/2012
    0 - 5 feet Pistol Gunfighting - 4/13,14/2013
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting - 7/11,12/2015
    Defensive Shotgun - 10/4/2015
    Rifle Gun Fighting 2 - 11/5,6/2016

You don't fail when you lose, you fail when you quit....

Quote Originally Posted by John McCreery View Post
    Guys, look closely at Mike's watch. We will be doing a special edition Flava Flav SI watch. Flava is selling us all of his old clocks and we will be putting wrist bands on them. Thanks for the great idea Mike!

Yes...in the "pat down" Mike had to remove his weapons, but also remove his watch. Due to the sheer size of it some thought it might be some kind of "Odd Job" bladed frisbee.....Of course he also was able to use it as a plate at dinner and a spare wheel on the way home.....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 08-02-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG, CO
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

I won't try to re-hash what's already been shared. I will say that for me the 0-5 class was very eye opening. As usual, Randy taught a great class with fellow SI instructors happy to help and offer their additional insights. I've done a few other great SI courses, but this one was a totally different animal. I left with a whole new understanding of how to better integrate various skills I've trained in. It's not about being a professional striker, expert grappler, or even a master of arms. To me, it became apparent that one needs to be a proactive fighter...and if that fails be aggressively reactive by taking the fight to them in a way that matches your personal skills sets and quickly available tools (limbs, knife, bat, gun, etc). Everyone in the class (including myself) was challenged and pressed to recover from bad or even worse case scenarios. As they say, 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog.' It was a priviledge to train with all those in my class. If you haven't taken this course you are really missing out.
    Thanks again to Randy, John, Mike, Ryan, Jeff, and fellow classmates for a great learning experience.

Chiming in a little late here. This is still hands down my favorite class. Like many others have stated already this is very challenging class. I love this class because like Mike said you have to set that ego aside, because no matter how good you are you are not going to "Win" some of the situations that you are put into in this class. I think that alone makes for great training. I think it provides some insight to how bad things can go very quickly, and to me shows how aggressive you have to be in a fight. To me this class reinforces how you can't hesitate once the fight is on. You're in a fight so end it as quickly and as aggressively as possible. And like others have pointed out, no matter what happens keep fighting. If the fight started with you getting stabbed, fight through it and make him pay for that.

I think I'm safe in saying that everyone in the class was atleast hit, stabbed, and shot before the weekend was over, so I think it is important to realize that chances that this is going to happen in the real thing is fairly high. So experiencing that in training and having to fight through it over and over, will hopefully keep you from freezing if it happens to you in the real thing. As Randy stated the first time you experience these things shouldn't be when it is for real. I strongly advocate taking this class multiple times. I think your first time through provides you some insight to what type of fight you should be training for, and some skills to work with to deal with that problem. From there you can take those skills back and train them. Then you can come back for round 2 and see how you training has helped, what still needs work, and you'll probably find that you pick up on some new things that you didn't see the first time around, and then you become apart of the offical Suarez International 0-5ft. Addicts Club.

Thanks to Jeff for hosting the class. These classes wouldn't be possible without a place to have them, and I appreciate Jeff going through the trouble with securing the range and getting the ball rolling to make this class possible. Thanks to Mike Swisher and John McCreery for attending and bringing extra value to the class. I've trained with both of them before and definitely can say if you have an oppurtunity to get in one of there classes, do so. You will not be disappointed. Thanks to everyone who attended this class and putting the hard work in to make a great class. Each of y'all could have sat at home in the A/C sipping insert your favorite drink here, but instead you came out in the heat and rolled around on the ground, getting stabbed, hit, and shot with BB's, and I think that's awesome. Thanks to Isaac (imamember) and Chip (chipw) for there added value to the class. You guys background in different MA's helped bring different perspectives to the class and the problems that were presented.

Randy, thanks for another excellent class. 0-5ft. with Randy Harris is a must take class for anyone who carries a firearm. His background truly brings a unique perspective to this class and he provides excellent insight into the fight that civilians are most likely to find themselves in. He puts on a challenging, but not overwhelming class. If you haven't had this class, Take it!!

More pics.....
    045.jpg Not a good place to be....

046.jpg This is ZERO TO FIVE!

049.jpg
    NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

NRA Certified Instructor

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE