PDA

View Full Version : So ok to shoot shotshells?

steve29702
01-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi all, so it is ok to shoot shotshells or bird shot through a rifled slug barrel? The reason I ask is I just bought a 20" 2 3/4" or 3" magnum rifeled slug barrel with sights to go on my Remington 870 Express. It came with the 2 3/4" or 3" magnum 26" rem choke barrel. I just wanted to make sure the bullets don't jam up in the barrel or something! I figure with the rifeled barrel the pellets might come out like a twirling throw net! I did read buck shot is not a good idea, but planning on buying the good 3" slugs.

Vig Creed
01-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Steve,

Rifled barrels are for slugs, especially sabot slugs. You can shoot birdshot and buckshot through them, but with very poor patterning results.

creed

steve29702
01-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Steve,

Rifled barrels are for slugs, especially sabot slugs. You can shoot birdshot and buckshot through them, but with very poor patterning results.

creed
Thanks all! Yea, going to buy me some sabot slugs. Read all up agout them. actually this is the first slug barrel I have owned and was just concerned about the dangers of shooting bird shot in there being it was rifled. I was just worried they might jam up. Now that I know they won't, I will take a couple bird shot or turkey shot when I hit the woods next hunting season! Better than carrying 2 barrels! Mainly I have always hunted with a 243 Browning for deer when I lived in VA where there were oat fields and is one awsome gun, almost accurate as long as I can keep the crosshairs still on the target but here in SC, no fields close and almost nothing but woods is a different story! 243's is all we about used to deer hunt in VA and at shooting ranges I have outshot about everyone with it with there 308, 30.06, and 270's. I know the 243 has a small bullet but is fast and never had a deer get away yet! Anyone else use the 243? No one here seems to even know anything about them! They all like the "giant" guns! I will have another question for all ya'll experts about a Winchester shotgun I have that I could not hit doodly with that is brand new (put up)!!Have to see what model it is so I went and bought this 870 with no problems. Thanks!

Ragsbo
01-11-2004, 03:21 PM
You will want to shoot sabots slugs for deer. That is what we must use here in Illinois. I also use a 870 with a rifle barrel and get great results with the Remington Coppersolid Sabot Slugs. I use the 2 3/4 (don't really want to get kicked by the 3 inches). I killed two deer with it this year, one a doe at about 10 yards and a buck at 50. Hit the buck so hard that it flipped him end for end and he never kicked! So use the sabots and you will not be disappointed.

As far as carrying shot shells (especially buck shot) check your state game law. It is illegal in this state to have the buckshot with you.

I haven't used the 243 for deer, but several ground hogs have gone on to valhalla because of one. Wish we could use it for deer.