PDA

View Full Version : Girya or kettle bell

Pdfkhel
10-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Does anyone hawe any opinion on the Giray or the kettlebell.

PaulDmitrios
10-07-2005, 09:56 AM
I have never heard of "giray". What is it?

RoninPimp
10-09-2005, 10:49 AM
I believe that's the Russian word for kettlebell. Not sure of the spelling though. Kettlebells are a great weight training tool. I want a complete set, but they are way overpriced. I look foward to cheap Chinese imports or maybe the new adjustable types.

Cold War Scout
10-09-2005, 10:50 AM
You think kettle bells are overpriced, go check out the prices on clubbells.....

Jackdog
10-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Check out Gill Athletics for affordable kbells. Here is the web page for kbells: http://www.gillathletics.com/gillCatalogItem.aspx?subItem=526

The prices are way better than dragon door. The members on Crossfit.com recomends them.

minuteman
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
they still are the best kettlebell on the market. I have a friend whom bought cheaper kettlebells including adjustable kettlebells and he told me they are not as good as dragondoor kettlebell.

Besides, they will last long enought to pass them to your grandchildren.

But I still agree that dragondoor's products are overpriced.

VaughnT
10-11-2005, 03:16 PM
What makes the dragondoor Kb's so good? How can you screw up a lump of cast iron?

Have you worked with the kb's linked to in the above addy? If so, how are they deficient?

I made a false purchase and found that I can get a 16k kb shipped to me for less than $20. That's impressive considering that most other places are charging twice that, at least.

There is something about the kettlebell that's very attractive. I could see myself working out with one of those, if for no other reason than it is different.

minuteman
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
What makes the dragondoor Kb's so good? How can you screw up a lump of cast iron?

Have you worked with the kb's linked to in the above addy? If so, how are they deficient?

I made a false purchase and found that I can get a 16k kb shipped to me for less than $20. That's impressive considering that most other places are charging twice that, at least.

There is something about the kettlebell that's very attractive. I could see myself working out with one of those, if for no other reason than it is different.

DD kettlebells are better designed.

You asked that how you can screw up on a piece of iron.

My adivice to you is before you ask a stupid question, do a little more research.

Jackdog
10-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a complete set of DD kettlebells(16kg, 24kg, 32kg) and love them. I have heard positive things about the Gill athletic Kbells on the Crossfit.com forum. I have heard the handle shape is different from the DD kbells but don't know from personal experience. If someone was interested in getting started with kbells the GIll's might be a place to start at a cheaper price than move up to DD if they really enjoy working out with them.

VaughnT
10-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Minuteman, step it on back, hoss. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. If you're not cool with what I asked, don't answer. Do not attack me because you feel that I haven't researched the matter to your satisfaction.

You say the DD bells are better designed, but you don't say how. What is a newb looking for in a 'good' kb?

Jackdow, what makes the handle style of the 'bell pertinent? When you say that you have a complete set, is that two of each weight? Is this recommended or can a newb get a good workout with one bell only? What weight would you suggest for a guy in mediocre shape to start with?

Jackdog
10-13-2005, 07:25 PM
VaughnT,

I have not used Gill athletic's kbells and can not give a comparison on the handle shape. From what I read on Crossfit.com there is a different in shape of the handle with one being more round and one being more oval. I think the difference though is mainly subjective and one would not be able to tell unless they where side by side. If you do a search on http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/board-topics.html for cheap or affordable kbells there is a discussion about them from earlier this summer.

By complete set I have one each of the 16kg(approx. 36lbs), 24kg(approx 53lbs) and 32kg(approx 70lbs). You can get a great workout with only 1 kbell. Doing high reps of 1 arm snatchs, swings and clean &press will give you a good strength and cardio workout. I was fortunate when my wife got me both the 16 and 24kg kbell for Christmas '02. I would recommend starting with a 16kg and work your way up from there.

Checkout www.mikemahler.com for good info on kbell workouts and of course Dragon door's article and forum section.

I hope that helps. I am sorry I could not give a better answer about the differences between dd and gill's kbells.

Guy

VaughnT
10-14-2005, 05:57 PM
JD, I appreciate your taking the time and sharing what you could. I'm definitely going to have to look further into the matter as my brother is doing the strongman thing and I need to keep up!

VaughnT
10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Update: Just ordered a Kb from Gill's. I chose the 16k for starters, just like you said, and am looking forward to working with it. I might just have to buy a few more considering how little they charge for shipping!

Thanks, Guy.

Jackdog
10-19-2005, 12:41 PM
VaughnT,

Cool! Let us know how they do. I think you will enjoy them.

Guy

VaughnT
10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Just rec'd my little-bitty kettlebell from Gill's - that's pretty fast service considering I just placed the order a few days ago.

First impression: 16 kilograms is heavier than I frickin' thought! Those pics you see of guys exercising with bigger kb's are all the more impressive now that I've tried working the "girlie" kb!

The handle design seems entirely workable from what I'm seeing. The diameter of the grip is atleast 1.5", and the gripping area is nicely finished. It's not slick by any means, but it also doesn't have any mold lines or an overly-aggressive texture that might abrade the palms during a workout. I wear a large/extra large glove and there is plenty of room for my hand to get in there without feeling pinched.

The finish is good, evenly applied, though I think it's just some black paint. The stampings are a bit rough, but who cares? You can clearly read the weight rating and you can't expect too much from a lump of iron.

Overall, I have nothing but positive to say. I'm sitting here looking at a toe-stubber extraordinaire, a tactical doorstop, a caveman skullcrusher.....it's not your average lump o' iron, people! This is Ironman jive. This is cool.

The only negative I can find, and it is something that's important to me, is that the product is made in china. I don't know how you guys feel, but I hate putting money into the coffers of that commie regime...especially when it's a non-essential purchase like this was. That's just me, though.

Cold War Scout
10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I have been teetering on the edge of buying a couple this week. One 18 lb. KB and a 35 lb. KB. I just have not been able to convince myself that I cannot do with dumbbells what can be done with Kettlebells.

RoninPimp
10-22-2005, 01:48 PM
My favorite movement the 2 handed swing is easier with a kettlebell. Cleans and snatches are easier with a dumbell.

Cold War Scout
10-22-2005, 02:12 PM
My favorite movement the 2 handed swing is easier with a kettlebell. Cleans and snatches are easier with a dumbell.

I agree about the two handed KB swing being easier.

VaughnT
10-22-2005, 07:25 PM
From what I can tell, after admittedly limited exposure, the kettlebells offer a unique approach to exercise. It's hard for a neophyte to describe in words, but there is definitely something to them. It might be psychosymatic, the fact that this is a very primitive form of exercise somehow stimulates the creative/imaginative side of the grey matter in a way the the modern gym equipment can't, and therefore produces a greater interest and longevity.

Can a dumbell simulate a kettlebell? No. The off-axis handle of the Kb produces stesses that a dumbell can't duplicate. It's a function of design.

Is one better than the other? Depends entirely on what you want to do. If you're looking for something different, something to stimulate further interest or break through a plateau, go for the Kb. They aren't that expensive from Gill's, though they certainly aren't cheap. And, if you decide to give it up, you can sell them fairly easy or use them as a boat anchor. It's a win/win situation. :D

Cold War Scout
10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
From what I can tell, after admittedly limited exposure, the kettlebells offer a unique approach to exercise. It's hard for a neophyte to describe in words, but there is definitely something to them. It might be psychosymatic, the fact that this is a very primitive form of exercise somehow stimulates the creative/imaginative side of the grey matter in a way the the modern gym equipment can't, and therefore produces a greater interest and longevity.

Can a dumbell simulate a kettlebell? No. The off-axis handle of the Kb produces stesses that a dumbell can't duplicate. It's a function of design.

Is one better than the other? Depends entirely on what you want to do. If you're looking for something different, something to stimulate further interest or break through a plateau, go for the Kb. They aren't that expensive from Gill's, though they certainly aren't cheap. And, if you decide to give it up, you can sell them fairly easy or use them as a boat anchor. It's a win/win situation. :D

They are expensive when you want to move up in weight. Dumbbells with plates just cost a 2 x 2 1/2 pound plates more if you want to go up 5 pounds.

Jackdog
10-27-2005, 06:43 PM
VaughnT,

Glad you like the kbells. Did not realize the ones from Gill's were made in China. At least you can get started training with them and like it you can always get the Dragon Door kbells.

CWS,
I agree with VaughnT on the difference between kbells and dumbells. I like doing swings, snatches and clean&presses with the kbells better than dumbells. The static weight really is the only negative that I see in kbells. Get the 2 kbells and give them a try if the price is right. You can get an butt kicking workout with that 36lber that will surprise you.

Guy

odanelli
10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Interesting that I just joined the forum and the first thing I see is on KB's. Now I know I've found the right place.

I noticed a few questions about the difference between Dragon Door KB's and Powermax(Gill, etc...) The differences are very subtle. In the lighter weights (16kg and below) the subtle differences are not that noticeable. 20kg and above, the refinement in the handle and overall shape of a DD KB add up quite substantially. I've even seem some less expensive models that have "checkered" handles. Don't get me wrong, my first KB was from Gill Athletics. The price is great, and it got me way excited. After attending a seminar with Mike Mahler last month, I got to use the DD KB's and knew I had to buy my own. I racked both a DD and Powermax 44lb for the first time at the seminar. The DD was definatelly much more comfortable.

The next question I noticed was KB-vs-Dumbbells. If you employ proper technique, doing jerks and snatches are just as easy with a KB as with dumbbells. Then again, it was just recetly that I finally learned proper technique. In which case my wrists are much happier now.

For me, KB's have taken the boredome out of weight training. To add some spice, check into doing Hand2Hand drills, which defiantelly help with explosive power, coordination, and grip strength. It looks like KB's are getting more and more into the main stream for lifters, LEO's and civillians alike. Enjoy and have fun.

Be Safe
-O

Cold War Scout
10-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I had planned on getting a couple from DD today but a buddy of mine (who is a trainer at a gym) plans on ordering a bunch next week, and thinks a bulk order might mean a reduced price so told me to wait until then to see if I could save some money.

odanelli
10-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I had planned on getting a couple from DD today but a buddy of mine (who is a trainer at a gym) plans on ordering a bunch next week, and thinks a bulk order might mean a reduced price so told me to wait until then to see if I could save some money.

I'm not sure if Pavel/DD reduces the price, but I could be very wrong. That I know of, the only time a discount is ever applied is at a seminar or for an RKC. Either way, welcome and enjoy. Be sure to check out dragondoor.com. Also, in you area you have a great RKC named Dylan Thomas.

By the way, which gym?

Be Safe,
O

Cold War Scout
10-28-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure if Pavel/DD reduces the price, but I could be very wrong. That I know of, the only time a discount is ever applied is at a seminar or for an RKC. Either way, welcome and enjoy. Be sure to check out dragondoor.com. Also, in you area you have a great RKC named Dylan Thomas.

By the way, which gym?

Be Safe,
O

World Gym in Manassas. He is quartered up in there under Ruthless Training Concepts. RTC is now a Cross Fit affiliate. The future is looking very promising in Northern Virginia.

I am not sure hw knows one way or another on the kettlebells "discount." He would be buying many thousands of dollars worth so perhaps that could be a positive thing in his favor.

minuteman
11-26-2005, 11:11 AM

He should be able to to get a price break on bulk order.

TrojanSkyCop1
05-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Does anyone hawe any opinion on the Giray or the kettlebell.

--Pdfkhel,

My two roommates and I were introduced to kettle bells during the CBP Academy at FLETC, by an instructor who in his turn had been intro'd to the bells during his Army Ranger days by some Spetznaz guys he'd trained with.

This instructor said that the Spetznaz troops trained with the kettles almost exclusively, hardly ever did any running or regular cardio, yet would still kick the crap outta the U.S. Rangers on PT sessions.

After that first workout with the bells, I could see why; I was (and still am) a pretty good weightlifter/runner/calisthenics guy, but I was feeling the effects of the kettle bells for damn near a week. :eek: Put a whole new meaning on the proverb "No pain, no gain." :o

They really do give you a kick-@$$ workout, and one of my roomies, who also does Brazilian jujitsu, purrchased a set for his own use, which I also borrow whenever I get the chance.

Hope this helps.

michael
05-19-2007, 04:13 PM
[quote=TrojanSkyCop1
This instructor said that the Spetznaz troops trained with the kettles almost exclusively, hardly ever did any running or regular cardio, yet would still kick the crap outta the U.S. Rangers on PT sessions.

.[/quote]

I've seen this before and often wondered if this statement is true. I love KB's and think they are great, but I would like to know if this statement is true.

Cold War Scout
05-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I've seen this before and often wondered if this statement is true. I love KB's and think they are great, but I would like to know if this statement is true.

Sonny P gave me the impression they did a lot of kettlebell stuff.

SonnyP
05-19-2007, 07:09 PM
As to the statement of "almost all Gyria work and almost no running, etc"... not really. Running (with some twists and variations- sometimes running with KB's...) played significant role in our units (and most others- from my observations, crosstraining and interaction with many from VDV, KGB, etc.) general PT work. KB's were often the main choice for weight training, and more traditional (in the West) types of weight workout programs were almost non-existant in Spetsnaz units training.
But that is my experience- it is very possible that in some units (especially the ones stationed in former Warsaw pact countries- East Germany, Hungary, etc.) comrades were using other weight training programs, or components from methodologies more prevalent in the West.

Skpotamus
05-21-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/kettle-grips.php

adjustable kettelbells. :D

The only downside is that you can't do any renegades or manmakers (my most hated workouts) since the adjustable ones are round.