PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1200/1300 Question

RedDevil
06-04-2005, 05:51 PM
My father gave me his Sears, Roebuck Model 200 Ted Williams shotgun that's about 30 years old. It's basically a Sears brand Winchester 1200. It looks almost new and I'm sure it just sat in a closet most of the 30 years and never shot but I'd like to use it as a self defense/ 3-gun shotgun. I'd like to know what, if any parts/springs I should be replacing to be able to get it to be reliable. I did shoot it about 2 years ago and it did have some problems loading rounds into the chamber due to the weak magazine spring but I'd like to know what other parts I need to check out. Maybe even a way to tell if certain parts are good or need replacing?

TIA

Dr.T
06-05-2005, 08:00 AM
My son had a 1200 youth model years ago that worked very well, but the action was not very smooth. Your problem could be a rough action or just caked lubricant, in addition to a weak magazine spring. The first step would be to take it to a gunsmith for a good cleaning and inspection. Let him/her recommend if you need any parts. If the gun hasn't been shot much it shouldn't need much other than a cleaning.