PDA

View Full Version : Kali And Silat

FBI_dude33
04-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Kali and Silat, two arts that are closely combined together for millenia, are some of my favorite arts in the martial world,
comments, discussions, techniques and arguments encouraged

Dagatan
04-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Well there's three items I'm curious about if anyone cares to discuss them, the first is adrenal stress training. I'm curious if anybody applies their langkas and jurus with adrenal stress training and their insights and experiances. Second ground game, I read on a separate forum someone stating that the best person on the ground they ever saw(in person) was the late Herman Suwanda. How good is the silat ground game? Would you recomend it over or in conjunction with BJJ? how does it hold up in non-compliance scenarios? Third, do you use gamelan music in your silat training and why? What does it provide to your training?

Only question I have about kali is do you prefer the beer or the soda ;) !

Cold War Scout
04-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Alas, although I like to learn what Silat I can, the low groundgame is tough on these arthritic knees.

Dagatan
04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Ah the joys of being southeast asian :D

All-in fighting
04-12-2005, 09:45 AM
kali and silat [traditional] need to be simplified in order to work in real world environments, as most traditional martial arts do. if you ever talked or trained with old filipino scouts, they will be happy to show you the practical bladed bolo and bayonet methods. i think the hybrid dutch silat [ judo, jiu jitsu , poekolon ] is a very good method---i have respect for james ingrims method of combat silat .---ralph

Dagatan
04-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I was thinging of this this afternoon and it came to mind that there's a couple of well know silat players who are known for their bodyguarding experiance, ie Cass Magda and Cliff Stewart. Anybody have any experiance with their silat programs and know if they've altered it an anyway to fit their professional work? I know Cliff Stewart has his W.A.R. (within arms reach) program and just looking at the still pictures you can see the Serak/Bukti Negara influence.

SouthNarc
04-13-2005, 04:50 AM
I did a seminar with Cliff back in '95 on the W.A.R. system, when he was still doing alot of protection work. His presentation on it was pretty leaned down and pragmatic. Good guy.

Dagatan
04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Would you recommend it? What kind of stuff did he cover?

Sharp Phil
04-13-2005, 09:07 AM
I have the W.A.R. book Cliff put out. It's a surprisingly good little text and Cliff's system contains components that will look familiar to many practitioners of Chinese and Indonesian infighting systems. I actually bought the book on the recommendation of my former Wing Chun Kung Fu instructor and wasn't disappointed.

SouthNarc
04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Yeah I'd recommend him Dagatan. As far as content goes think Bukti Negara oriented more towards criminal assault. Again more pragmatic, less martial artsy.

All-in fighting
04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
narc, i remember cliff, he did a couple of nice articles in the old mags comparing tai jitsu /hanbo and jkd/kali [ both of which he was an instructor in] . he always looked in shape and his articles had interesting content--ralph

Bootfighter
04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
I had the pleasure of sparring ( boxing) several rounds with Cliff Steward back in 85 while i was doing some savate training at the Inosanto academy - marina del rey, he probaby doesn't remember the Aussi visitor after two decades.

Mr Steward was a very good boxer and a gentleman.

Best ,

Craig