PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Street Survival

Ak Guy
11-16-2004, 02:15 AM
I'm looking for a good instruction book on how to survive (and maybe even win) a street fight when unarmed. It needs to be "introductory level", since my skills here are equal to my knife skills.........i.e. "zero" !! (Already got a gun, but usually can't take it w/ me when I travel out of state, and I really feel vulnerable, after so long w/ CCW). Thanx for any info........

blastjv
11-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Not a book, but VERY helpful:

http://www.close-combat-video.com/

-John

Al Lipscomb
11-16-2004, 08:32 AM
I would start with some of the WW2 combatives by W. E. Fairbairn and Rex Applegate. Simple, easy to learn, easy to use and they work.

Ted T.
11-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Ummm,

"Street fight" is just too undefined a term.

In the street, violent physical altercations are criminal attacks, physically having to deal with a deranged person or a social situation gone bad.

Since the response to each is completely different, it is a "must know" what you expect to face.

And, when it happens, context will rule. By this I mean, if you round a corner and six guys all wearing the same color are standing there and one immediatly gets in your face saying things like, "This is our turf, get out of here. Better back off boy..." etc, then you must react differently than if you just came upon an aggressive panhandler.

The best person using a proper and realistic social context for his base in s-d is Richard Dimitri, Senshido, Montreal. (http://senshido.savi.ca/)

The best books I know about for awareness of impending criminal ambush and escape and evasion are by Marc MacYoung. (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/)

Good luck,

Coops
11-16-2004, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with that great guy Ted T:~)

Having trained with both Richard D and Marc, I would point you in their direction. 'All In Fighting' (Get Tough in the US) is a great book to read, although people find it too slim a book - they think there's gotta be something extra. But that's people all over - we love complexity. But I love Geoff Thompson's comment that "complexity kills."

You could always get to the WTS in January,for a good ol' slap around based on Fairbairn & Sykes.

Demi Barbito
11-17-2004, 08:23 AM
This would be my offering.

http://www.demibarbito.com/cat.html

It covers the basics of:

There is a guy twice your size who wants to bounce your head off the cement. I need a core set of tactics you can LEARN, TRAIN and DEVELOP that abide by a "best options" mentality. I want methods that use gross motor functions and are geared toward ending the violence not fighting.

Demi

KenG
12-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Hand to Hand Combat, U.S. Navy by Wesley Brown

dgg9
12-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Check out www.gutterfighting.org
They also have a video series by Carl Cestari for sale, which is WW2 commando type fighting.

I give this video set the highest possible thumb's up.

I bought them in VHS, but they've just recently released them in DVD too.

cellblock
12-01-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm looking for a good instruction book on how to survive (and maybe even win) a street fight when unarmed. It needs to be "introductory level", since my skills here are equal to my knife skills.........i.e. "zero" !! (Already got a gun, but usually can't take it w/ me when I travel out of state, and I really feel vulnerable, after so long w/ CCW). Thanx for any info........

Ak Guy,

Let me start by saying Congratulations for taken your safety into your own hands. Let's start by changing your "mindset". You should not be thinking "maybe even win". You should face any conflict that you encounter with the attitude that I WILL WIN NO MATTER WHAT. Picture whatever is most valuable to you (for me I picture my girlfriend), now picture the person that is facing you is going to take that from you. Are you mad yet? GOOD, now win and prevent it from happening.

Try books from Lt. David Grossman (On Killing, On Combat, The Bulletproof Mind tape set), also invest in yourself and find a combatives system that is taught in your town and start going. Not only will you be getting excercise, but you will be getting the training that you need. As for travel, a knife is a good place to start but they to can be subject to local law restriction. I would suggest buying a good flashlight, like a Surefire 6P or E2E. The most important part of not being a victim in "the streets" is not looking like one to begin with. Bad guys are punk wimps, and unless they are "packed up" in a group, they will only bug a person who appears to be weak. Don't look like a target and you'll significantly decrease your chances of being one.

Justin_P
12-04-2004, 02:13 PM
I just bought Sammy Franco's Widowmaker program. It's VERY BRUTAL, lethal force only unarmed fighting. My wife refused to watch it... she thought it was too brutal.

You don't have to be an expert to realize how effective this stuff could be.

Http://www.sammyfranco.com

James Bullock
12-05-2004, 12:41 AM
www.senshido.com

www.geoffthompson.com

www.sammyfranco.com

Kind Regards,

James Bullock
www.combative-sciences.com

Coops
12-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I've not trained with Franco, but the other two know their stuff.

Brian@ITC
12-06-2004, 05:58 PM
You need to make sure that it is a realistic self-defense program or material first and foremost! I have seen a lot of things that are being taught that will just flat out get you hurt or killed! Forget the “flashy” stuff such as kicks to the head! You want something that you can apply with minimal effort and obtain optimal results! And I would stay away from anything that distorts the natural body structure and dynamics. At this time we have just eliminated better than 90% of the martial arts!

I have also seen the some videos on knife fighting that are pretty scary too!!! Actually, I don’t know if I have seen any that I thought were realistic and would keep you alive if you tried to execute the techniques they teach. I don’t agree with a lot of the things that are being taught in the overall martial arts community! There are a lot of people being misled about what will and won’t work, and unfortunately they don’t know that what they are learning could get them killed!

I have a strong background in a martial art that is combat proven. If you want to check it out then go to http://www.jinenkan.com At this time Manaka Sensei doesn’t have any knife fighting videos out, but you might do a search on Masaaki Hatsumi and tantojutsu. Some good video authors under the Bujinkan would be Bud Malmstrom, Jack Hoban, and Stephen K. Hayes to name a few for knife fighting. I am not sure that all of them have knife fighting videos available, but they will probably have some books on tantojutsu. I have personally trained under Stephen K. Hayes for about seven years, and I now train under Manaka Sensei in the Jinenkan organization. These same people should have some books and videos on basic self-defense, but remember nothing is as good as training with someone in a dojo!

Furthermore, bad or dangerous information is worse than no information! The most dangerous person is the street fighter because they have actual “combat” experience and they are not afraid to die! You do want to make sure that whatever you learn is combat proven! After all, your potential adversary’s techniques are combat proven because he is standing in front of you!!!

Good luck!

Brian K. LaMaster
President
Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC (teaching more than just tactics!)
http://www.innovativetacticalconcepts.com

jimmyfatwing
01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for a good instruction book on how to survive (and maybe even win) a street fight when unarmed.

One of the main things is mindset, you need to not think you'll come out on top....but know it in yourself!