PDA

View Full Version : .40 caliber loads

michael
09-27-2003, 03:34 PM
What are your favorite loads for the .40 and why? I have always been partial to Cor-Bon and Speer Gold Dot, and tend to carry a lighter grain bullet in the warm months and a heavier grain bullet in the cold/heavy clothing months.

Scout
09-29-2003, 11:11 AM
I think the Corbon loads are a little too hot (nothing wrong with 'em, I just don't like them personally) and expensive to shoot all the time. (If I want to shoot a hot 40 load, I shoot the 10mm!)

Gold Dot is excellent, I really like the bonded core stuff, plus it is very accurate.

It's been a while since I did any evaluation but a while ago I got a batch of GD that had bright muzzle flash, which is why I switched to Ranger T's.

michael
09-30-2003, 10:28 AM
David, thanks for your reply. What do you think of the 165 grain loads, the Cor Bon in particular. You said that the loadings now are less velocity dependent, so are you saying that the Cor Bon in no better than the others, since it depends upon a higher velocity? Is the 165 grain still a compromise to the 180? One more question, what are the best rounds available to a non-LEO in the .40? Thanks again for your help.

michael
10-01-2003, 08:08 AM
So far, everything I have shot in my Springfield Armory XD-40 has been both reliable and combat accurate. I have shot more of the Corbon's and Gold Dot's in it than anything else, and they all function reliably and accurately. This weapon even feeds all of the junk ammo I have run through it--it's awesome. I've always liked the Gold Dot's performance and it is what I used to carry at the PD, so I am partial to them. Glad to here that you think so much of them from your testing, which I think is invaluable. Ballistics has always fascinated me and I enjoy reading about various tests that are conducted. From your testing, I see no need to go with the Corbon. It is hotter and has more muzzle flip, which obviously degrades accuracy. I don't have any problem controlling it, but of course I can shoot the standard pressure stuff marginally faster. I don't see any reason at this point to use the Corbon, given that the performance is LESS than the Gold Dot and it is more expensive + it has more muzzle flip. Okay, you've convinced me, which is not an easy thing to do. I will stoke my XD with 180 grain Gold Dot until something better comes out. Just so happens, that's what I tested on the range two days ago. David, thanks for all your help and comments, I really appreciate what you are doing for the shooting community.

rfdillon
10-04-2003, 06:10 AM
Folks, my favorite load for practice in a CZ 75B. 40 cal (I make all my practice ammo) is a 155 Lead Round Nose Semi Wad Cutter round, over 6 grains of HP-38, which gives me ~1100 FPS. My favorite carry load is from RBCD Performance Plus ammo, which is a high velocity, low recoil, and light weight bullet made in San Antonio, TX. It makes a 9x11" wound channel, and recoil is comparable to my 155 grain round.
I use RBCD ammo in all my carry calibers, .32 ACP, .38 special, and .40 S&W. More information can be found at:

http://www.rbcd.net/

I am not associated in any way with RBCD, by the way.

rsilvers
05-02-2004, 09:36 PM
I just got a humming deal on Speer brand 165 grain loads. $45 per 250 rounds ($9 a box of 50). Bought 3000 rounds. That should last me. Some police department rejected the lot because they said there was a missfire on a primer. So Speer liquidated it to make them happy and make them a new lot. Even if the missfire was real and caused by the ammo (and I am not sure it was) there is no reason to think any other lot is more or less reliable. Sweet cause this is exactly the load I decided I wanted. Oh, there is no more. I bought it out.

billcameron
05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I just got a humming deal on Speer brand 165 grain loads. $45 per 250 rounds ($9 a box of 50). Bought 3000 rounds. That should last me. Some police department rejected the lot because they said there was a missfire on a primer. So Speer liquidated it to make them happy and make them a new lot. Even if the missfire was real and caused by the ammo (and I am not sure it was) there is no reason to think any other lot is more or less reliable. Sweet cause this is exactly the load I decided I wanted. Oh, there is no more. I bought it out.

Ammoman still have them for $179 thousand post paid. Second item in list.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_40.htm

billcameron
05-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Both the 165s and the 180s work well, performance is for all pratical purposes the same. If you are comfortable with 165s then by all means go with them, one thing that you may want to consider is that 165gr practice ammo is not as widely available though.

Natchez currently has federal eagle 165 gr for $7.25 a box plus shipping. If I recall natchez generally carries this round, but not usually this cheap.

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productList&ammoRecID=2&brand=FA&subgroup=568&CFID=553509&CFTOKEN=26103162

rsilvers
05-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Ammoman still have them for $179 thousand post paid. Second item in list.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_40.htm

Thanks. Yes, the same except I paid 50 cents more per 1000. It must have been a huge amount then cause the store started with a truckload of it. It has less recoil than GA Sheer Power Plus 155 +P+ (yeah, I know .40 has no +P spec) so it is not as hot as that, but maybe more reasonable in power for .40.