PDA

View Full Version : Grip/Wrist/Forearm Strength Training...

Davo
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I have had pretty good grip strength.... Despite wore-out lowback and patched-up broken knees I could still buck hay pretty well for someone of my height and hair-color ;-).

As arthritus and age have taken their toll, I noticed my grip strength was "slipping", and that worried me.

www.functionalhandstrength.com has ALOT of good info.
I got soem super well-made grippers from them called the "Captains of Crush" grippers, and I can know close the 195 lb. ones w/ my r. hand.
My gain in grip strength is more due to a device called a Formulator (www.formulator.com for short video) that I have been using as I had plateaued out on the grippers and just wasn't gaining ground.

Just about every facet of combative skills is dependant on being able to keep a good grip on either your weapons, or part of your attacker that you bend some way it wasn't designed to go.
If you can close the #3 "Captains of Crush" gripper (280 lbs.), all you MIGHT need was to get a grip and shut down.

It doesn't matter if you were "born with small wrists/hands", you can probably double the grip you have now, unless you are already in pretty good condition in your hands/wrists/forearms.
(Six weeks with the Formualtor and John Wood's advice and I have more than doubled the weight I can twist up with the Formualtor, and tripled my ''reps" or more...)

I'me not ready for the hide n' tallow man to take me to the knacker yard YET!
(Seriously, take a good look at the sites above.)

Dave3220

gfmun
02-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I had a problem with the " formulator", got a Real Estate ad ???

Thanks, George

Joseph Timbs
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
The link takes me to a real estate website .

Elkhunter
03-04-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/formulator.html

Cold War Scout
03-04-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/formulator.html

I'm not sure I understand what this does that dumbbell wrist curls and wrist extensions don't essentially do. :confused:

michael
03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I've found that just from the short time I've been using Kettlebells, my forearms and grip strength have gotten stronger. I think using them is going to be very beneficial for my grip.

I've used grippers before, but really didn't feel that I gained anything over what I got by working with weights and doing pull-ups and other grip-intensive exercises. The KB's take it to another level.

Cold War Scout
03-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I've found that just from the short time I've been using Kettlebells, my forearms and grip strength have gotten stronger. I think using them is going to be very beneficial for my grip.

I've used grippers before, but really didn't feel that I gained anything over what I got by working with weights and doing pull-ups and other grip-intensive exercises. The KB's take it to another level.

When it comes to grip strength training, Clubbells leave kettlebells in the dust. :)

P.S. If you are getting that much stronger than I am not gonna be your partner anymore. No sir. Not letting some young stud pound on me.

CollegeGlocker
03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Dave,

Thanks for putting this information out there. I just ordered the Captains of Crush trainer (100 lb) grippers. I'll have to try them out and see how well they work for me.

michael
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
When it comes to grip strength training, Clubbells leave kettlebells in the dust. :)

P.S. If you are getting that much stronger than I am not gonna be your partner anymore. No sir. Not letting some young stud pound on me.

I noticed that you had a great deal of grip strength. And I thought it was from your other activities, not clubbells..........:eek: :D

RBFC
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
For those of you who are registered at TPI, here's a couple of threads with various grip training ideas:

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

Hope that gives a few more ideas!

Lee

Joseph Timbs
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Lee , those are good threads .

Have you closed the No.3 COC yet ?

choirboy
03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I am all in favor of a guy making a buck from his "better mousetrap" but dam near $200 for 10# of junkyard steel, 2 welds, some grinding and a tap plus maybe a piece of rubber hose padding.

Too much for anybody with basic tools.

Choirboy