PDA

View Full Version : Change In Training

wheel
11-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys I Need Some Advice. My Training Partner Just Quote On Me After 20 Weeks.

He Was Much Bigger And Stroger, So I Got Pushed Every Workout Past My Limit Just To Keep Up.

Their Was Also A Positive Energy And Friendly Competition That Really Made Me Enjoy My Tyraining.

I Also Felt Good After Each And Every Workout Because I Knew I Did My Best.

How Can I Copy This Type Of Inviroment Now That I Am Training By Myself.

wheel
12-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi

I Trained This Week On My Own.
:(
Bench I Struggled The Most. Down 13 Kg.
I Also Had To Subsitute Dumbell Press For Isometric Press ( No Spotter)

Concentrationcurl Lost Only 3 Kg

Tricepextension Nothing

Workouts Felt A Bit Flat.
;)
On The Upside I`am Glad I Had The Deciplin To Train.

I Hope You Guys Have Time For A Reply Or Some Helpful Tips

6Gunner
12-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi

I Trained This Week On My Own. On The Upside I`am Glad I Had The Deciplin To Train.

I Hope You Guys Have Time For A Reply Or Some Helpful Tips

Hey, Wheel; congrats on making it in. I know how hard that can be when you're used to having someone there to push you to the gym and they stop coming. I myself had to fight through that limitation, but now I find my training actually going better.

I'm using lower weights and higher reps. End result is better conditioning for stamina (I feel) and my definition has actually improved. I'm forced to do more myself, and I don't waste time socializing instead of training. I don't have as long a break between sets which means greater fatigue and (so far) faster progress.

When I had a partner I got much stronger through being able to do more with heavier weights; but now I think I'm getting in better overall CONDITION than I was before.

Keep up the good work!

score456
12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Wheel,
I have work-out by myself for the last 22 years. When I was in the military, I was fortunate enough to be coached (I was a powerlifter) by a national champion. After military service, I moved back to my home-town and was pretty sure that I would never have that caliber of coaching again. I bought a quality power-rack and slowly filled the basement with weights ( not hard to do, weights are comparatively cheap). The power rack "spots" for me, on squats and benchpresses.
You need to realize that having a good work-out partner is preferred, but your motivation comes from within, and always has. A lot of very strong/fit folks work out alone, and feel that the constant "competitiveness" of working out with a partner leads to overtraining. If your primary concern is physical strength, not body-building..check out www.dragondoor.com (http://www.dragondoor.com) and order Pavels book "Power to the People". While youre there read everything he has written in the articles section. The man is very informed, and very informative.
Good luck in your efforts.

wheel
12-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi Guys Thanks For All The Replys.

The Lower Weight More Reps Approach Was A Great Idea.

I Have Been Inproving Every Workout.

I Now Have A Whole Community Of Training Partners.:d

I Will Work Hard And Contribute Something Soon.

Ps. How Do I Change My Name From Wheel To Halfman Halfcar

Cold War Scout
12-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I like to try and mix up my home workouts between endurance conditioning and strength conditioning. Sometimes I'll do thrusters with just 30 and 40 lb. dumbbells. Other times 40's and 55's. Sometimes I'll do burpees with a weight vest, and other times not. Ditto for kettlebell and Clubbell workouts. I find mixing it up to be one way of maintaining solo workout self-motivation, and the discipline to force myself to keep working out. It works for me.

unstpabl1
12-20-2006, 10:59 PM
In the past,I've trained with and without partners,though mostly without as I perfer it. Its too hard to keep together schedule and focus wise. Though it is cool to learn things from more advanced partners. I like the idea of training alone for me because it developes a pattern of self discipline and personal initiative. An area of weakness for myself. It also developes mental toughness. Its easy to get out of as the only one holding you accountable is you. I do find the group class thing cool as your not dependant on one person. I guess what I'm trying to say is there are advantages to both,look for the positives and use it as your focus,you'll find the negatives minor. What you see now as setbacks(less weight,etc) will be overcome quickly. In the end taking care of you is a do-it yourself project.
mike