PDA

View Full Version : .38 Thunderzap?

sween1911
03-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I read recently about a plastic .38 special round called the "Thunderzap". Does anyone have and information on it? Would it be of any use in a self defense role?

Al Lipscomb
03-30-2004, 11:22 AM
I doubt it would be of any use. The name alone seems to speak volumes.

The new Speer loading for the .38 in its Gold Dot line seems to be the best option.

Shawn Dodson
03-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I remember seeing advertisements for ThunderZap in gun magazines about a dozen years ago.

It was marketed by Rich Davis, owner of Second Chance Body Armor. I spoke with him about it years ago and I can't remember if he was the inventor or not.

Ordnance gelatin tests I'm aware of, ThunderZap penetrated 1-2 inches, completely fragmenting. The magic of "energy transfer" was its selling point.

ThunderZap didn't last very long on the market. Davis expressed some second thoughts about the wisdom of selling ammunition whilst being in the armor business. Either that or he came to his senses about terminal performance.

safestop
04-02-2004, 07:53 AM
I doubt it would be of any use. The name alone seems to speak volumes.

The new Speer loading for the .38 in its Gold Dot line seems to be the best option.
arl,
Do you have any test results on this ammo?
Fuzzy

Al Lipscomb
04-02-2004, 12:26 PM
arl,
Do you have any test results on this ammo?
Fuzzy

Good to see you over here. I have seen some of the results posted and it looks pretty good. I have to admit I forgot about your product in my reply.

In my state (Florida) I can only use JHP when working so I forget that there are other options for those without that restriction. The safe-stop is one of the best options for a snub-nosed revolver.

I need to get ordering information on that round as it would be a good choice for my wifes carry gun.

safestop
04-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Good to see you over here. I have seen some of the results posted and it looks pretty good. I have to admit I forgot about your product in my reply.

In my state (Florida) I can only use JHP when working so I forget that there are other options for those without that restriction. The safe-stop is one of the best options for a snub-nosed revolver.

I need to get ordering information on that round as it would be a good choice for my wifes carry gun.
arl,
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you any info you need.
Thanks you for the kind words on the ammo
Regards,
Fuzzy
safestop@comcast.net