PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the middle

One load
08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
How do I do it? I have one of those exercise balls, and I do 200 sit ups and 75 push ups in the morning, and in the evening. I have been doing this for 3 months, and I have lost 10 pounds, but the gut is still there.

Ragsbo
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Yelp, what he said. You'll need to add cardio and a good eating habits ( I didn't say diet, because that sounds like a temporary thing and you need to make a permanent change). to get it off. And it will be easy to get discouraged, and fall off the wagon so to speak. But don't beat yourself up it, just keep on trucking and do better. You might want to join a group such as weight watchers. They have a good program (the wife goes) and they teach you how to figure what you are eating and what it does to you.

Cold War Scout
08-07-2006, 03:17 AM
I would recommend adding aerobic AND anaerobic exercises. I think too many of us omit the anaerobic conditioning that should also be a part of our workout routines. Workouts that don't result in you sucking hard for air are too static to cause any great weight loss by themselves. Consider doing burpees, dumbbell thrusters, rope skipping and heavy bag pounding (hands and feet) to cause a little bit of that. Some stuff you need a gym or partner for (e.g. knife fighting sparring), others you can do at home. But ease into it. Not just to make sure you don't give yourself the big one, but because whenever you start doing exercises that involve body movements that your body is not accustomed to, you need to grease the groove a little first. Do 10 burpees and call it quits for day one as it concerns burpees. Do 15 thrusters (start off with light weights (like maybe 2x15 lb. dumbbells)....they can be deceptively hard). Stop for a minute or two to catch your breath as necessary. Then do 10 more. Take it easy on your body. Let it get use to new movements in a pain-free way. Else you are gonna feel some pain and just not want to do them anymore, which all to freqently happens to people who start a new program. After a couple of sessions of greasing the groove and putting your body successfully in first gear, then you can start ratcheting up the intensity a little.

For aerobic capacity: rowing, jogging, treadmilling, stair stepping, ellipticalling, versa climbing, and spirited walking with a weighted backpack. Even climbing the stairs up and down in the house with a weighted backpack will surprise you.

At some point the reality also is that as a man, as you get older, you are going to tend to collect some additional weight around the middle that can be very hard to get rid of. Some of it just will not go away. For most of us middle-aged types our 10% body fat days are OVER!

Manwell
08-07-2006, 04:13 AM
CWS,

That was awesome advice! At 46 I find it harder than ever to stay in the condition I would like to be in. I do pretty good because I work at it daily and eat clean as possible whenever I can. To me the key to losing the weight includes the exercise, eating right and time. It takes time, period. If ya set realistic and maybe even very conservative goals, you’ll do much better than trying to lose 5 pounds a week, week after week… it ain’t gonna happen and if it does it won’t stay off. One should ask them selves this question – how long did it take to put all this weight on? Didn’t happen in a week or month, probably over years.

Manwell

DonGlock26
08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Good posts, guys. What are your favorite books or web sites for eating clean?

Don

Cold War Scout
08-07-2006, 10:23 AM
If you want to really ratchet up the intensity of your anaerobic training, this is something I had a person do this morning (after she already did 35 minutes on an elliptical):

60 seconds rope skipping
10 burpees
- 60 seconds rest (doing burpees while your heart is already pounding is very demanding)

45 seconds rope skipping
7 burpees
- 60 seconds rest

30 seconds skipping rope
5 burpees
- 40 seconds rest

20 seconds skipping rope
5 burpees

She looked like an absolute wild woman when she finished this sequence. Dripping sweat; face flushed; hair all over the place.

michael
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM
CWS gives good advice, as always. The older we get,the harder it is to maintain it. I'm turning 46 in a couple of days, and while I'm about as strong as I've ever been, I don't heal as quickly and I need to do a 3-4 day a week routine instead of every day. Even Gabe said he is resting his joints from the weights for a while.

I bought an Elliptical, and I've been going on it for 30-35 minutes at a time, but jumping off every 3-4 minutes and doing a weight or bodyweight exercise. This gives me the anaerobic "bump" I need, and gives me a great workout, where I am huffing and puffing and drenched in sweat. I like it.

alabaster
08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
The gym owner where I work out is 51 and his midsection resembles 6 sculpted rocks. He is in amazing shape. He lends credit to keeping an active metabolism. He eats 6-7 small, healthy meals a day, runs and lifts weights, both actually in moderation. He also says something about the very first meal of the day being mostly protein. He says something to the effect that if your first meal is mostly carbs, you won't be likely to burn much fat but if the first meal is mostly protein you are more likely to burn fat throughout the day. I don't know if it works but its hard to argue with sucess.

dogfacedan
08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
C.W.S., what is a dumbbell thruster ? having been a copper all my life and suffering from " powdered sugar fever" i got all exited when you mentioned burpees , which used to be a fruit filled pastry which one could eat while driving the crime stopper cruiser. no really can you describe each movement? thanks, dan

LawDog
08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Burpees:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

Gabriel Suarez
08-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Echoing what CWS said. To lose the middle, you must lose weight. Do cardio, cardio, cardio. Not to the point you look like a malnourished somali hunger striker, but to the point your shirt is soaked through and you are breathing hard.

Then diet. Cut out bread, sugar, and lower the carbohydrates. Eat protein all the time. Six weeks of this will have you buying new pants and belts. I can't help with the pants, but you can buy new belts at One Source.:D

Al Lipscomb
08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Having had a constant weight problem for the last 10 years, I can tell you it is not easy. Bread and sugar are going to be hard to get out of your diet. They hid sugar in everything, flour is also added in a number of things as a filler.

I don't have much in the way of knees left (no ACLs) but if you keep your butt moving in the weight room you can make some improvement in your cardio without too much impact.

If you can, swimming is a great way to improve your wind with low impact as well.

One load
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Thank for all of the advice guy. I have already shed one pants size, I just need to lose 20 more pounds and I will be set.

Jake Salyards
08-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Swim brother.

Easiest way to lose weight and very minimal stress to the body. That - and I got a treadmill that I have in the rec-room in front of the TV. Going to watch blackhawk down? Cool - I just do it while I walk up a hill for 2 hours - works great and is relaxing. Big time bonus here for me is that I can practice moving dry fire draws the whole time. I have some modest 10 lb dumbells on on a shelf next to the treadmill - so in two hours I:
watch a cool movie
get in two hours of moderate cardio
do a zillion low impact strength reps
do a bazillion presenations and dry fires

That is a lot of coolness packed into one activity.

The exercise thing only works if you can stick to it - the best plan in the world doesn't work if you don't do it with regularity. For me (and I don't speak for others here - just me) - I have a great wife and 4 kids - even if I didn't work out at all - I have trouble giving these very important people in my life the kind of time they all deserve from me - so I have to be creative.

OR - I take the kids for a walk in the wood but I wear a rucksack with some books in it - I'm not talking 80lbs here - but rather 20lbs or so.

Works for me anyway.

Good luck with it.

Jake:D

Cold War Scout
08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
C.W.S., what is a dumbbell thruster ? having been a copper all my life and suffering from " powdered sugar fever" i got all exited when you mentioned burpees , which used to be a fruit filled pastry which one could eat while driving the crime stopper cruiser. no really can you describe each movement? thanks, dan

Dumbbell thrusters video:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Dumbell_Thruster.wmv

This exercise is a full body movement smoker. You will find out very quickly that even relatively light dumbbell weights will get to you very quickly. For anaerobic conditioning, dumbbell thrusters and burpees should be considered staples of your routine.

Dumbbells are basically very inexpensive these days. About 50¢ a pound (less on sale). IMHO, when you can do good sets of dumbbell thrusters with 30 pounds in each hand (in other words an investment of about $30 for a pair), you are doing pretty darn good.

I am including the barbell thrusters video below. When you can do barbell thrusters with 95 lbs (like the guy in the video...the yellow plates are "bumber plates" of 25 lbs. each with a large rubber edge so you can throw the weight down), you are going to start developing serious power. Further, when you can do respectable sets of barbell thrusters with 135 lbs (the bar and 2x45 lb. bumper plates...usually green), you are getting to "scary" levels of power. Personally, I like to do dumbbell thrusters for anaerobic conditioning value, and barbell thrusters for pure power and strength. Strength seriously matters. Don't let anybody ever lead you to believe otherwise.

Barbell thrusters video:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Barbell_Thruster.wmv

Burpees video:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/burpee-race.wmv

Regarding burpees, if you want to add a little more strength training to the mix, then do double pushup burpees. Two pushups before you jump up. If you look at the chick on the left (Annie from CrossFit), her burpees are done with exceptionally good form.

Good burpees require at least 3 elements: 1) a full pushup, 2) a powerful jump, 3) hands over head when you reach the high point of the jump. I consider the importance of at least a 4th: after you do the pushup and bring your legs back underneath your torso, there should be no delay before you make the jump in the air happen. It should be like the second your feet hit the ground underneath you, bam, explode up into the air.

dogfacedan
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
C.W.S. Thanks, just saw the video, i'll try these tomorrow.dan

Vinnie Moscaritolo
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
let me offer a different approach from the cardio folks.

1) weight train, muscle eats more energy that fat does, the more muscle you carry the more calories you use.

2) drink lots of water durring the day. water washes out the toxins in your body that is kept in the fat cells.

3) eat lots of small meals, teach your body not to store it as fat.
it even turns out that you prob can eat more calories than you could in lesser number of meals.

One load
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Another question, if I may be so bold, do you guys eat before you workout, or after. I normally workout right after I get up, then eat, do any of you think this makes a difference?

Cold War Scout
08-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Another question, if I may be so bold, do you guys eat before you workout, or after. I normally workout right after I get up, then eat, do any of you think this makes a difference?

In the morning (which is generally when I will work out) the most I will usually have is some cereal and juice. So I never really feel like I can't jump more or less into a workout full swing. Sometimes I just coffee up and then hit it.

Never have been able to generate the energy to workout at the end of the day unless it is one of those I absolutely must work out days.

DonGlock26
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Swim brother.

Easiest way to lose weight and very minimal stress to the body. That - and I got a treadmill that I have in the rec-room in front of the TV. Going to watch blackhawk down? Cool - I just do it while I walk up a hill for 2 hours - works great and is relaxing. Big time bonus here for me is that I can practice moving dry fire draws the whole time. I have some modest 10 lb dumbells on on a shelf next to the treadmill - so in two hours I:
watch a cool movie
get in two hours of moderate cardio
do a zillion low impact strength reps
do a bazillion presenations and dry fires

That is a lot of coolness packed into one activity.

That's sort of what I do. The family man workout. I figured if I watch 1 hr of TV each night, I could walk for 1 hr. I did get my knee fixed and can start running in Sept. Woo-Hooo!!!!

Don

Cold War Scout
08-09-2006, 01:45 PM
That's sort of what I do. The family man workout. I figured if I watch 1 hr of TV each night, I could walk for 1 hr. I did get my knee fixed and can start running in Sept. Woo-Hooo!!!! Don

I had knee surgery 5 years ago. It has made running for miles rather painful. Rather than just walk, I have found that spirited walks with weight (I use a weight vest, but a backpack will do just fine), especially up hills, will ratchet up the intensity of a mere walk to a respectable level without straining the knees.

DonGlock26
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I had knee surgery 5 years ago. It has made running for miles rather painful. Rather than just walk, I have found that spirited walks with weight (I use a weight vest, but a backpack will do just fine), especially up hills, will ratchet up the intensity of a mere walk to a respectable level without straining the knees.

Sounds good. I am planning to jog, walk, swim, and use the elliptical to give my knees a break. The back pack sounds like a good idea. Any idea what would be a good grade on a treadmill?

Cold War Scout
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Sounds good. I am planning to jog, walk, swim, and use the elliptical to give my knees a break. The back pack sounds like a good idea. Any idea what would be a good grade on a treadmill?

I would just ease into the grades. No need to hit 10% on day one, you know. Maybe just start at 2% and see how that feels on the knees over time. Leg muscle strength also matters. IMHO the stronger the leg muscles, the more of the stress of the exercise they can handle, and the less strain on the knees.

michael
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
My knees were starting to bother me too, but so far on the elliptical, they have done very well. No pain at all.

As far as when to workout, that is an individual thing. Most times, I work out in the evening after work. I usually work out on Saturdays when I am off, so I don't eat much before working out then. Of course, during the evening workout, I always have eated a couple of meals during the day. I actually do better with some food in my stomach and don't do as well without it. That is a very individual thing though, and you are better off working out without eating much, if you can "stomach" it--pun intended.:)

mojo
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
For eating clean, try www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com). You can set your goal weight and when you'd like to hit it and it'll tell you the range of calories you need to be in to hit your goal. You enter your daily food intake and it will track your calories, macronutrients and any micronutrients that you're interested in. Might want to at least track fiber, calcium and sodium, as most people don't get enough of the first two and get way too much of the latter. I'm tracking most vitamins and a few minerals, just to see how many I get via my diet and it makes me very glad that I always take a giant multivitamin.

It's free and it's pretty easy to use, especially after you get your favorite foods list built up. Most of us tend to eat pretty repetitively, so you can enter your intake pretty quickly.

It's changed the way I eat, because it provides accountability. I make much different choices when eating in a restaurant now. I also feel better. Huh. Go figger.

I didn't need to lose a lot of weight, only eight pounds, but intend to keep using the site because it keeps me honest.

There's also a fitness page, which is okay for tracking cardio workouts, but pretty lame for resistance training.

DonGlock26
08-11-2006, 06:42 AM
I would just ease into the grades. No need to hit 10% on day one, you know. Maybe just start at 2% and see how that feels on the knees over time. Leg muscle strength also matters. IMHO the stronger the leg muscles, the more of the stress of the exercise they can handle, and the less strain on the knees.

CWS, thanks for the advice!

Scouts Out,

Don

DonGlock26
08-11-2006, 06:45 AM
For eating clean, try www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com). You can set your goal weight and when you'd like to hit it and it'll tell you the range of calories you need to be in to hit your goal. You enter your daily food intake and it will track your calories, macronutrients and any micronutrients that you're interested in. Might want to at least track fiber, calcium and sodium, as most people don't get enough of the first two and get way too much of the latter. I'm tracking most vitamins and a few minerals, just to see how many I get via my diet and it makes me very glad that I always take a giant multivitamin.

It's free and it's pretty easy to use, especially after you get your favorite foods list built up. Most of us tend to eat pretty repetitively, so you can enter your intake pretty quickly.

It's changed the way I eat, because it provides accountability. I make much different choices when eating in a restaurant now. I also feel better. Huh. Go figger.

I didn't need to lose a lot of weight, only eight pounds, but intend to keep using the site because it keeps me honest.

There's also a fitness page, which is okay for tracking cardio workouts, but pretty lame for resistance training.

Thanks guys.

Don

NevJohn
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Let's see..... it took me 65 years to put it on, but I dont think I have 65 years left in me to take it off. No, actually I have Yo-Yo'd exercising and dieting for the past 10 years, and am still the same. I just cant get motiviated to stay with a program. Wife and I are looking at trying it again, with some program? I think we'll just cut down on the evening meals somewhat and stick to salads and Grilled Chicken on the BBQ. One thing I really need to cut out is Diet Cokes and Gatorades. Am going back to just plain water and 2 cups of coffee in the AM. :eek:

Cold War Scout
08-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Am going back to ... 2 cups of coffee in the AM. :eek:

Are you sure you want to do this to yourself?

mg-34
08-12-2006, 06:07 PM
All great advice....I might add though...try drinking water ONLY after your last meal of the day (which should be at least three hours before bedtime), and nothing else! You'll be surprised at how much snacking you actually do when you are relaxing before hittin' the hay.

blackshadow87
09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
In order to lose flab permanently you can not diet. Dieting is a temporary solution. You have to change your entire lifestyle. With weight loss, it is 60% nutrition, 30% weight training, and 10% cardio. Many people believe that cardio is the answer to weight loss. This is true up to a point, with cardio, you lose calories during the exercise. And thats it, its nice, but in order to really lose weight, you need to weight train. Now I don't mean that you have to turn into Arnold in Terminator, but weight training that challanges your body. The reason weight training is so important is because although you dont lose many calories while working out, BUT you do lose a lot more after working out. Each pound of muscle burns about 50 calories at the basal metabolic rate. Meaning if you only gain 1lb. of muscle and live the same exact lifestyle, you could lose around 50lbs, or fat in a year!! Just make sure you don't over train! You should not work the same muscle than once every other day (unless doing body weight excercises).

Cpt. Jim
09-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Go to: http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm
For the thruster go to: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-046-training

One load
09-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Plenty of great advice guys. I will start doing burpees, mixed with some free weights.

S3Project
09-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Each pound of muscle burns about 50 calories at the basal metabolic rate. Meaning if you only gain 1lb. of muscle and live the same exact lifestyle, you could lose around 50lbs, or fat in a year!! Just make sure you don't over train! You should not work the same muscle than once every other day (unless doing body weight excercises).

You mean 5 lbs?

DonGlock26
09-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Guys,

I've finally got the scale to move backwards. I hit the elliptical four days a week for 30 min(I use a lifefitness model with heart rate measuring handles- I love this machine!). I do a whole body weight training workout twice a week. I try to eat healthy and I use a fiber mix drink twice a day. I think it makes me eat a little less. We don't get enough fiber anyway. The fiber mix disappears in water. It's a pretty cool product, that may help you lose a few extra pounds effortlessly. It's called "fiber sure". I got a big bottle at Sams.

Good luck,

Don

michael
09-11-2006, 07:33 AM
More fiber is good. I use the Fiber Choice chewable orange wafers, and they actually don't taste bad.

Good work on dropping the lbs. I absolutely love my elliptical, and wish I had bought it long ago. I've got a Horizon Fitness EX-22, and it is as smooth as butter, and has the heart rate monitor and more programs than I need. I like the fact that it is built like a tank and should give years of trouble-free service.

DonGlock26
09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
More fiber is good. I use the Fiber Choice chewable orange wafers, and they actually don't taste bad.

Good work on dropping the lbs. I absolutely love my elliptical, and wish I had bought it long ago. I've got a Horizon Fitness EX-22, and it is as smooth as butter, and has the heart rate monitor and more programs than I need. I like the fact that it is built like a tank and should give years of trouble-free service.

Thanks,

I'm going to Dick's sporting goods tomorrow to check one out.:cool: