PDA

View Full Version : Body Armor at SI!!!

ShopMonkey
04-12-2021, 04:01 PM
ya, you read that right, we were going to start a few years ago, but availability and necessity weren't quite there yet. The pace of current events has and continues to change. What we will offer will not be the kit up and operate level, this offering, like everything else we do will be clandestine in nature. The offering will be simply this, a Chase Tactical Low-Visibility Plate Carrier (LVPO) in black, coupled with your choice of either P210 3A+ or L210 Special Rifle Threat multicurve polyurethane plates from HESCO. Dimensions for the plates are as follows:
- P210-SH-MC-S 8.0 x 10.0 inches / 203 x 254 mm 0.27 inches / 7 mm 0.6 lb / 0.3 kg - Package price $449.99
- L210-SH-SC-S 8.0 X 10.00 inches / 203 x 254 mm 0.59 inches / 15 mm 3.5 lb / 1.6 kg - Package price $499.99

Gabriel Suarez
04-12-2021, 04:36 PM
And gentlemen...trust me on this...this will be an essential piece of kit to have with you as we move into the future...just my opinion.

Adam_
04-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Great timing! I was just reviewing Sua’s write up on this topic earlier today.

Is there a set of preferred accessories for minimalist, but non-clandestine use?

Sam Spade
04-12-2021, 06:27 PM
Is there a set of preferred accessories for minimalist, but non-clandestine use?

Easy button is a standard chest rig, set up as you like. Keep the carrier slick.

Might be time to replace my ceramics.

Spokelse416
04-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Yeah I agree with Sam Spade on this. Either a chest rig or bolt bag. Cause having shit attached to the carrier makes it a pain cause there are sometimes you don't want as much gear and just want the carrier.. Its more scalable that way.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Brent Yamamoto
04-12-2021, 07:44 PM
Take my money

Brent Yamamoto
04-12-2021, 08:04 PM
When does it go live in the store?

thewolverine
04-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Deal me in.

ShopMonkey
04-12-2021, 11:09 PM
When does it go live in the store?

Goes live 4/13

Redbug
04-13-2021, 05:49 AM
I think having some sort of body armor is a good thing. I can also see a move to restrict body armor in the future. All part of Communist Plan. If you don't have anything now, it may be a good time to order some sort of protective vest. I don't see things getting better. Money is the universal tool so use some of it.

Sizing is important, so measure yourselves accurately. As for me...I got mine when all the social unrest and rioting started across the country. I look at it as a kind of insurance.

ShopMonkey
04-13-2021, 09:33 AM
armor package is live. if it can fit my fat ass and be comfortable, it can fit you. I will be getting the carriers on order today, plates will be ordered as needed for orders, so we dont have a bunch laying around. we will order a couple plates for in store testing so keep an eye out for videos
https://suarezinternational.com/gambeson-armor-package/

StealthNeighbor
04-13-2021, 09:44 AM
Front and back plates?

How do you pre-order the correct size?

Thanks...great idea!

NV28
04-13-2021, 10:03 AM
ORDERED

ShopMonkey
04-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Front and back plates?

How do you pre-order the correct size?

Thanks...great idea!

they can expand a lot, they are sized for the plate not the body. the same carrier will fit everyone in the shop. like i said, if it can fit my fat ass, you're good

SEANSTRAIT
04-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Having a hard time deciding what plates to go with. Probably won’t need to wear it covered often but could be handy. The Level IIIA would cover most needs but do I get the L210 to get the max protection even though getting shot with a pistol is more likely than rifle in my situation. Would love to hear some thoughts on this before I purchase.

Sam Spade
04-13-2021, 04:14 PM
Having a hard time deciding what plates to go with. Probably won’t need to wear it covered often but could be handy. The Level IIIA would cover most needs but do I get the L210 to get the max protection even though getting shot with a pistol is more likely than rifle in my situation. Would love to hear some thoughts on this before I purchase.

For the weights published, I'd get the rifle plates. There are enough rifles and pistols in 5.56 popping up at protests that I'm concerned. I think we're well past th "shop owner dealing with robbers" stage of things.

SEANSTRAIT
04-13-2021, 04:23 PM
For the weights published, I'd get the rifle plates. There are enough rifles and pistols in 5.56 popping up at protests that I'm concerned. I think we're well past th "shop owner dealing with robbers" stage of things.

Thanks, kinda leaning that way anyway so I think that’s what I’ll do.

SUA SPONTE
04-13-2021, 04:34 PM
As a rule of thumb I wear armor concurrent with how I'm armed for the situation. For most of the guys here if you have the forewarning that you need to strap on armor that also means you should probably be bringing a rifle.... So dress accordingly

Gabriel Suarez
04-13-2021, 04:39 PM
I think we're well past th "shop owner dealing with robbers" stage of things.

Indeed we are

Brent Yamamoto
04-13-2021, 05:46 PM
I have overt rifle plates/carrier. What I don’t have is a lower profile kit.
So I ordered the lighter plates.

WinstonSmith
04-13-2021, 07:13 PM
Re: the composite plates, do these have a “shelf life” and considerations for storage in extreme temperatures (e.g. a car in the summer sun)? I have heavy steel plates because I don’t have to think about that, but if these are light and won’t “expire” in 2 years or something, then I’d like to add a set.

Gabriel Suarez
04-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Re: the composite plates, do these have a “shelf life” and considerations for storage in extreme temperatures (e.g. a car in the summer sun)? I have heavy steel plates because I don’t have to think about that, but if these are light and won’t “expire” in 2 years or something, then I’d like to add a set.

In my experience...the expiration dates are so that agencies will buy new vests periodically. Recently at a class we shot one of my old level 3 vests...a twenty year old plus unit. Other than rifle level rounds, 5.7, or 223...things did not penetrate...even 12 ga slugs.

Wiseguy04
04-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Talking with a manufacturer, most plates will last a lifetime. They just can’t warranty them that long, because they don’t know what kind of abuse they will be subjected to. But under normal use, expect them to last well past the expiration date.

Mushinto
04-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Bingo.

NIJ tests confirmed this. All they really have is a warranty date.

-- ML

WinstonSmith
04-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys!

HermosaBeachPatriot
04-14-2021, 08:06 PM
pre ordered - thanks SI!
-HBP

Awake in Atlanta
04-15-2021, 12:38 AM
they can expand a lot, they are sized for the plate not the body. the same carrier will fit everyone in the shop. like i said, if it can fit my fat ass, you're good
I was looking for the answer to the ‘does it come with front and back plates’ question above. Also, does the carrier itself offer any handgun protection, or is it the plates that do the work? I would like to get the rifle version based on Gabe’s comment, but am wondering if the non-plate material stops handgun rounds. Thanks!

ShopMonkey
04-15-2021, 11:30 AM
holy shit, plates - plural, yes front AND back

plate carriers are not going to stop anything standalone without a kevlar weave, which you will not find on a standalone carrier, but rather as an add-on soft armor layer

Spokelse416
04-15-2021, 12:29 PM
I really wouldn't advise cutting corners especially with anything meant to save your life...
IIIA armor is plenty concealable you just have to dress around it. It helps if the carrier is in a none "tactical" color so you can blend it with an undershirt..
Besides you would be surprised (or maybe not) at how un alert the public is and how much you can get away with..

Redbug
04-15-2021, 01:37 PM
I might add...HR4568, (Responsible Body Armor Possession Act), was introduced and died in Congress not long ago, (under Trump). I suspect another bill will come up sometime in the future along the lines of 4568 since the Democrats are in power, now. In 4568, if you already have the armor you can keep it. It is already a felony to commit a crime with armor on but they want to take away all forms of self protection. When this was rolling around in Congress is when I bought my 3A vest. Things to think about.

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1140400

Jons999
04-15-2021, 07:22 PM
Might have to invest in this setup. I have a mil surplus plate carrier / chest rig that is not even close to being concealable. This looks like it would be mostly invisible under a hoodie.

ShopMonkey
04-16-2021, 03:18 PM
after a few requests, individual plates are up, however the 10x12 P210 and 8x10 L210 plates are currently sold out. the plate size option between 8x10 and 10x12 have also been updated into the full package
full package https://suarezinternational.com/gambeson-armor-package/
individual plates https://suarezinternational.com/hesco-lightweight-armor-plates/

ShopMonkey
04-16-2021, 03:23 PM
this will also be going up today for those with lightweight but more gear in mind https://suarezinternational.com/si-modular-minimalist-kit/?ctk=a1bc70d1-ddb5-444f-9499-23eee9e1a84e&showHidden=true
Kit Includes:

2 Hesco L210 Series 10x12 Lg Single Curve Shooter Cut Special Rifle Threat (7.62x39API and 5.56x45 M855)

1 Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist Plate Carrier

color options will include black, coyote and multicam, while supplies last

Brent Yamamoto
04-24-2021, 08:27 PM
Mine just came in the mail a few days ago. I saw the label on the box, picked it up and thought “Oh, this is just the carrier. Plates must not be shipping yet”.

Nope. Plates and carrier. I knew it was supposed to be light but damn, I am impressed. These things weigh NOTHING.

Just wore it under a light jacket to the grocery store for a test drive. One could forget you’re even wearing it. I think these are gonna get a lot of use.

steve_k
04-25-2021, 08:41 AM
Mine just came in the mail a few days ago. I saw the label on the box, picked it up and thought “Oh, this is just the carrier. Plates must not be shipping yet”.

Nope. Plates and carrier. I knew it was supposed to be light but damn, I am impressed. These things weigh NOTHING.

Just wore it under a light jacket to the grocery store for a test drive. One could forget you’re even wearing it. I think these are gonna get a lot of use.

I know practice practice practice is always the key... How is the draw from appendix with body armor? Especially after killing a 16oz steak and a baked potato? Yeah yeah, first world problems, but just curious.:lmao:

Spokelse416
04-25-2021, 01:25 PM
I know practice practice practice is always the key... How is the draw from appendix with body armor? Especially after killing a 16oz steak and a baked potato? Yeah yeah, first world problems, but just curious.:lmao:Lol.
Its not a problem if you wear the carrier correctly. Your obviously not gonna be as fluid but it is definitely doable with both hard and soft plates at least in my experience.

ShopMonkey
04-26-2021, 09:56 AM
just added some NON-BALISTIC Bump helmets up, current available colors are coyote, ranger green and multicam, others will be updated to inventory when i get notice from CT.
https://suarezinternational.com/chase-tactical-bump-helmet/?ctk=464420d1-0fb7-4c06-bd40-45a960d4f3f6&showHidden=true
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-ve6rdd5n1f/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/3675/17334/Coyote-compressor__03338.1619454764.png?c=2

Gabriel Suarez
04-26-2021, 10:44 AM
So I will say that until last year, I would not have put much interest in this. However, after the goings on last year and this year, having a light skull covering in your ride is not a bad idea. As well I would add some very high quality clear lens eye pro. What are we concerned about? Thrown bricks and rocks, thrown frozen water bottles, things that can get in your eyes, etc. In my opinion...for USA CONUS the need for a ballistic helmet is not as high as for overseas...but head protection? Yes. I am adding one of these to each vehicle.

Faramir2
04-26-2021, 10:55 AM
I'm looking into a couple of these packages for me and the lady. Guidance on what size of plate to choose, either by size guide or other specs? (Forgive me if I have overlooked a guide on the website—checked but didn't see one. Feel free to call me an idiot and tell me to look again there or in the comments on this thread, if I missed something already addressed.) I'm 6'2" tall, ~160-ish pounds, AIWB a RMR'd G19 and spare mag with an SI +5 extension. Lady is 5'7", slim, and weighs a good bit less than I do.

ETA: Nvm, did the obvious thing and looked at Hesco's website. Found a size guide.

ShopMonkey
04-26-2021, 03:15 PM
I'm looking into a couple of these packages for me and the lady. Guidance on what size of plate to choose, either by size guide or other specs? (Forgive me if I have overlooked a guide on the website—checked but didn't see one. Feel free to call me an idiot and tell me to look again there or in the comments on this thread, if I missed something already addressed.) I'm 6'2" tall, ~160-ish pounds, AIWB a RMR'd G19 and spare mag with an SI +5 extension. Lady is 5'7", slim, and weighs a good bit less than I do.

ETA: Nvm, did the obvious thing and looked at Hesco's website. Found a size guide.

keep in mind the carrier offerings that we have, will only accommodate up to 10x12 plates

SEANSTRAIT
04-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Good. I’ve been looking at getting one of these for my NVG setup

Faramir2
04-28-2021, 11:04 AM
keep in mind the carrier offerings that we have, will only accommodate up to 10x12 plates

Duly noted. What sort of carrier would work with the 8x10, if I can find those somewhere? Based on the sizing chart, I don't think 10x12 would work very well for my girl, although they would fit me just fine.

ShopMonkey
04-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Duly noted. What sort of carrier would work with the 8x10, if I can find those somewhere? Based on the sizing chart, I don't think 10x12 would work very well for my girl, although they would fit me just fine.

theres some out there, ar500 makes a couple minimalist carrier for the 8x10s called the bobcat and micro, point blank has the BPC, plenty of others out there

Faramir2
04-28-2021, 02:40 PM
theres some out there, ar500 makes a couple minimalist carrier for the 8x10s called the bobcat and micro, point blank has the BPC, plenty of others out there

Got it. I'll check those out, alongside the link you messaged me. Thanks!

TbL
05-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Grey Ghost minimalist package just ordered. Should have done it a few days ago when I ordered a bump helmet.