PDA

View Full Version : J-FRAME CARRY KITS

ShopMonkey
06-23-2020, 03:02 PM
ULTIMATE KIT FEATURES:
- SI JFRAME FACE SHOOTER SPRING KIT AND FIRING PIN
- (2) SAFARILAND SPEED STRIPS
- TECHNA CLIP
https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-international-ultimate-j-frame-carry-kit/

STANDARD CARRY KIT FEATURES:
- (2) SAFARILAND SPEED STRIPS
- TECHNA CLIP
https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-international-j-frame-carry-kit/

Badger
06-23-2020, 03:59 PM
Does anyone have a video or description on how to do a load/reload with one of these clips attached? Iím thinking of trying one out.

ShopMonkey
06-23-2020, 04:09 PM
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE SPEED STRIP OR THE TECHNA CLIP? NOTHING CHANGES WITH THE TECHNA CLIP. IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT SPEED STRIP, YOU JUST FEED EACH ROUND INTO THE CYLINDER OFF THE STRIP

Badger
06-23-2020, 07:24 PM
The techna clip. I went ahead and ordered two to goof around with.

PRC 74
06-24-2020, 05:45 AM
Is changing the springs out something a non-gunsmith can do safely?

jesselp
06-24-2020, 06:37 AM
Last night I finally got around to installing a Techna Clip I had ordered a while back. A J-frame is clipped to my waistband while I'm sitting at the computer right now, and I barely know it's there. Super comfy and convenient for "around the house" carry when the easy button is the carry nothing.

contemplating the spring & firing pin upgrade now...

ShopMonkey
06-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Is changing the springs out something a non-gunsmith can do safely?

WHILE IT SOMETHING EASILY LEARNED, WE WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING IT TO A GUNSMITH TO AVOID DAMAGING YOUR FIREARM OR LOSING A PART

Bubba
06-24-2020, 05:13 PM
Ordered mine yesterday. What a great deal.
Thanks SI

mcdxd
04-24-2021, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know whether a J-frame will still fit in a pocket holster with a Techna Clip installed?

Papa
04-24-2021, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know whether a J-frame will still fit in a pocket holster with a Techna Clip installed?

Depends on the holster. Is it of rigid material, "boned" or fitted to the gun? Is it fabric or a looser generic-fit leather?

mcdxd
04-24-2021, 09:33 AM
Papa, I jsut ordered the J-frame and don't actually have the holsters yet. I am just wanting to know whether I can still pocket carry with the clip on if the need arises... a versatility question. What do you recommend or have to say about it?

Papa
04-24-2021, 09:51 AM
The clip is designed to fit around a belt or waistband. No reason it won't fit over a holster with proper clearance. Just don't jam it inside the holster. Let it ride outside, helping to retain the revolver in the pocket rig.

My pocket rigs are truly ancient, including a roughout DeSantis 02.

You should have pocket holsters in both "square" and front pocket shapes that are ambidextrous and have a hook or "sticky" sides to keep the holster in the garment when you draw.

Remember that if your trousers fit properly a pistol carried in a front pocket is all but inaccessible when you are seated. But if the pocket is too loose and there is insufficient retention both revolver and holster may magically appear when least expected.

Brigrat
04-24-2021, 09:59 AM
since we have this one back from the archives... curiosity took me to the Techna Clip website as I have't seen one in a minute or two and what do I see but the dumbest most interesting and possibly useful thing: https://www.technaclip.com/Products/universal--belt-rider-mag-carrier

An elastic sleeve on your belt to stick a spare mag in? WHAT? No way can this be secure right? Somebody has tried this haven't they?

mcdxd
04-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Papa.

Ryan Taylor
04-25-2021, 06:25 AM
What do you guys think about the 637 (with the hammer) over the 642?

Ive never owned either, but I can get one site onseen atm brand new. Im OCONUS so when I came back in a few months I will be able to pick it up.

chad newton
04-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Mine has a recessed hammer, it works just fine. It won’t catch on anything, only complaint out of some guys is that it can fill with debris, which isn’t really an issue if you actually physically look at you guns occasionally..... Not a big deal....

Brent Yamamoto
04-25-2021, 12:51 PM
since we have this one back from the archives... curiosity took me to the Techna Clip website as I have't seen one in a minute or two and what do I see but the dumbest most interesting and possibly useful thing: https://www.technaclip.com/Products/universal--belt-rider-mag-carrier

An elastic sleeve on your belt to stick a spare mag in? WHAT? No way can this be secure right? Somebody has tried this haven't they?

I have not worked with that particular product, however, I had something similar made for me.

One problem I see with this product is that the ammunition side is open. Rounds can and almost certainly will fall out at the most inconvenient time. And shit will potentially get into the mag.

The other, and bigger problem, is that the only retention is the elastic. Elastic might be tight enough, but it also tends to be relatively slick. I would not trust this.

The version I have is closed on the ammo side, and there is a solid strip of rubber infused nylon that provides plenty of friction retention. I have been using it for a lot of years with no issues. It's been through the ringer in both 0-5 and ground fighting classes. So yes, the idea is sound as long as the execution is solid. But just looking at this particular product, it isn't something I'd count on. Possibly one of those "it's better than nothing but far from optimal" deals.

ShopMonkey
04-26-2021, 08:18 AM

i have a couple that i got from sticky holsters as a sample. i used them for about a week, its not that theyre uncomfortable or unreliable, but elastic does have its limits and a history of losing its elasticity, and realistically, i don't want to find out i lost a mag during routine use

LawDog
04-26-2021, 08:41 AM
Gunsmithing. I've replaced the springs in my own revolvers. It was well within my own mechanical ability, and only moderately frustrating. That said, I would tell most people to just take it to a gunsmith. It's not like sticking a connector into a Glock. There are a lot of tiny parts in there, as well as several springs that can go flying across the room and get buried in the carpet.

If you've identified a decent gunsmith, there is more to do to a J-frame than just change the springs. The trigger can be greatly improved with some delicate stoning of the sear. You may as well do both things at once. This is another project that I did for myself, and it all worked out fine. But I would actually advise against this today. While it all worked out for me, I can see the complexity in it now that I have hindsight. Most people do not have the patience or the precision for this task. Hire a professional for this.

Speed Strips. The idea is to feed in two rounds at a time. It's not overly difficult, but it's also not super fast. It's much easier to carry a Speed Strip than it is a Speed Loader, but keep the limitations in mind. At the point that you're adding multiple speed strips to what you carry, maybe it's just time to step up to a gun with more capacity. With a 5-shot gun, you could use a 5-shot Speed Strip. But there is no real penalty to having a 6-shot Speed Strip. Sure, it leaves you with just one single round remaining, but there's no real reason to not have that extra round available.

Go Hammerless. I've had both a 637 and a 642. I still have the 642. The disadvantages of the exposed hammer greatly outweigh the ability to cock it for single-action shots. There is also a 638 "humpback" with a shrouded hammer. I would skip that one, too. The truly hammerless design--640 or 642--is the way to go.

Brigrat
04-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback gents, I suspected they were not up to the task. Good idea, bad implementation. I do like the idea of a simple horizontal mag holder with a low profile along the belt, kydex and leather are great, but as always, if there are better options I'm open to giving them a run.