SI 2014 Training
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Noladishu, Karjakistan (aka New Orleans, LA)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
    You must live in a slow motion world because kicking, stabbing or shooting a dog in the spot that wasn't there a second ago, is there now and is gone again seems pretty difficult.
    I've stopped two charging dogs (one large chocolate lab, one mid-sized pitt) with a strong front kick under the chin/neck. It didn't knock em out, but it opened a window and created space.
    "Mindset without skill is simply empty defiance, and skill without mindset is mere martial posturing." -GS

"Anything worth doin is gonna involve some fluids comin outta yer body." -Seth "HM" Grey ("...or someone else's..." - SqueeDAB)

RP 1085

Quote Originally Posted by jc12570 View Post
    I freely admit that I was not prepared for it and the dog was on me well before I could get my G19 out of the holster. The good news is that all the dog wanted to do was to bang into me and play.
    Yeah. The only time I have ever drawn my pistol expecting to use it defensively, I was walking to a friend's house and these two huge dogs came charging out of his neighbor's yard. Fortunately I had only just cleared leather when I realized from their body language that they were just a couple of big, friendly dogs that wanted to say hi and play. Even though I don't particularly like dogs, I'm glad to have spent enough time around them to be able to tell the difference.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I remember Gabe teaching with muzzle contact to wrap your thumb over the back of the slide and over the rear sight to prevent this.
    Would you mind elaborating a bit, I can't rap my head around your description sorry...
    The majority does not rule morality!

Quote Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
    I came across this Ed Ramsey adaption of a 2003 Police Magazine article by Michael Rayburn on another blog / forum. I would post a link but I believe that's a no no.

Essentially its a Tueller Drill for dog attacks:

" ... A little preparation goes a long way. You have taken the first step by understanding the way dog’s attack and visualizing your response. You can set up your own “pit bull drill” next time you are at the range.

The pit bull drill:

Use a two-litter soda or milk bottle filled with water and capped.
    A piece of cord is tied around the neck of the bottle.

You now have a target that approximates the chest cavity area of a pit bull.

Place the bottle down range approximately 25 to 35 feet with the other end of the cord running between the shooter’s feet.

The cord is pulled by another person, causing the bottle to come toward the shooter.

Don’t draw your weapon until the bottle starts to move.

When given the command the volunteer will quickly pull on the cord, which will move the bottle towards you even faster.

Shoot until you strike the bottle, releasing the water.

The exercise is not over until the bottle is empty, or the firearms instructor stops the exercise.

For safety reasons, stop pulling the bottle when it gets to about three feet out from the shooter.

Insert a stake in the ground three feet in front of the shooter with the cord passing through it.

That way, the bottle cannot be pulled past this point. ... "

Excellent drill! I didn't think of that. I will have to try it next time out.
    He paws fiercely, rejoicing in his strength, and charges into the fray.
    He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing; he does not shy away from the sword.
    The quiver rattles against his side, along with the flashing spear and lance.
    In frenzied excitement he eats up the ground; he cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds.
    At the blast of the trumpet he snorts, 'Aha!' He catches the scent of battle from afar,
    the shout of commanders and the battle cry. Job 39:21-25

- Cruce Signati

Quote Originally Posted by kjrobinson1 View Post
    Would you mind elaborating a bit, I can't rap my head around your description sorry...
    Say you're wrasslin' on the ground with a violent attacker and finally are able to shove the muzzle of your pistol into the bad guy's gut. However, due to the circumstances, it's pressed so hard against him that it is pushed out of battery, and won't fire. Get your firing hand thumb over the back of the slide and shove it forward so that you can squeeze off the shot.
    See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. For My own sake, for My own sake I do this. How can I let Myself be defamed? I will not yield My glory to another!

Thanks Garloch!

I think that might sting a bit, but given the situation, it wouldn't hurt near as bad as the alternative!

I appreciate the mini school session :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    The majority does not rule morality!

Thanks Garloch!

I think that might sting a bit, but given the situation, it wouldn't hurt near as bad as the alternative!

I agree. I'd gladly trade a sore thumb, even a broken one, for my life. However, folks who have done this in practice say it ain't so bad. In fact, I think that Gabe even had folks do it some classes? Haven't tried it for myself, however.
    See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. For My own sake, for My own sake I do this. How can I let Myself be defamed? I will not yield My glory to another!

It obviously works better with a striker fired pistol.
    "Silver and gold have I none, but 147 grains of lead give I thee."

Thanks Garloch!

Not near as bad as you might think. Next time you're at the range try doing it using the palm of your support hand flat against the rear of the slide. That is how I convinced myself it wasn't going to break my thumb. You will have to manually rack the slide to press off another shot though so keep that in mind.
    Dean

I am all about minding my own business, but when someone comes around me threatening people he doesn't know and I don't know him I kind of feel like he has made it my business.

GnS time. Gut it. Even a pit bull will bleed out if you can eviscerate it fast enough, in just few seconds.

If you don't shoot it down before it gets to you, just know deep down that you're going to get hurt. But the dog is about to DIE, and hurt is a whole lot better than dead.