SI 2014 Training
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    One issue faced by a uniformed LEO, who is wearing a gun belt, is that a vest will clash with the belt rig, unless the gun belt is shucked in order to don the vest rig. Active/homicidal shooters do not give us the luxury of time to do that. A chest rig, that rides above the duty belt, is an option; my present one holds shotguns shells and two pistol mags. (I am no longer certified to carry a patrol rifle.) I recently decided that I am not likely to have time to don a chest rig, and am returning to the bag option, though the chest rig coud be kept inside the bag.

I just ordered a Terrorist Inderdiction Bag from OST, as my ancient Special Weapons brief-style bag is quite frayed nowadays. It remains to be seen whether the TIB
    becomes a part of my patrol equipment, or is just used on my own time. As I will not need rifle mags, my bag is going to hold handgun happy sticks, instead, as the authorizing of 9mm Glocks
    as primary duty pistols seems imminent, and I just ordered three
    G18 mags from OST. (We have been all-.40 since 1997.) I may
    include an AR mag or two for my co-workers, if there is room.)
    Have Colt, will travel.

MRV 1 Front.jpg

My MRV (Mumbai Response Vest) holds level 4 plates and carries 6 TSD AR mags, 2 cans of smoke, a dump pouch and my trauma kit; nothing that does not support the mission of taking the fight to the bad guys or saving my life. I can run in it, hit the ground for cover, and get up without it bouncing all over the place or swinging around and getting in my way.

I simply throw the HSGI rig over my head and clip one side buckle.

Whatever you go with, make sure you train with it to flush out any issues.
    Dave Sauer
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

"The path which leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant." --Musashi

My 2014 Schedule

My Resume

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sauer View Post
    MRV 1 Front.jpg

My MRV (Mumbai Response Vest) holds level 4 plates and carries 6 TSD AR mags, 2 cans of smoke, a dump pouch and my trauma kit; nothing that does not support the mission of taking the fight to the bad guys or saving my life. I can run in it, hit the ground for cover, and get up without it bouncing all over the place or swinging around and getting in my way.

I simply throw the HSGI rig over my head and clip one side buckle.

Whatever you go with, make sure you train with it to flush out any issues.
    I hadn't really thought about it, but smoke REALLY makes sense for an active shooter situation. In just about any situation that has unfolded recently the ability to toss a smoke screen would have been useful. (If not to the aid of a person trying to take down a shooter it would still limit the AS's (pun not intended) vision so innocents could get out.)

i see a vest being (particularly plated) being useful for answering bumps in the night. car carry, well, as Roger would say, "it depends". the line in the sand and the rest of the situation. i'm not LEO, but does that scum bag have something i value as more than my life? if it's the love of my life, then i want to be able to asses and respond appropriately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123